GB HOMEPAGE

50 jobs that no longer exist

Posted By: Donald

50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/14/18 02:46 PM

50 jobs that no longer exist
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/14/18 05:15 PM

Actually, the milkman certainly exists today, in my territory I work people have coolers on their front porch for milk and fresh foods delivery.

Scissor grinders aka knife sharpeners still have the same mobile carts today and are very popular in farmers markets everywhere.

We have deer cullers across the street from me. They are sharp shooters and they cull the heard to a manageable amount. They have them everywhere where they are deer but hunting isn't permitted.

There are still food tasters, many political figures including Putin utilize one.

Family Video stores are still all over. Just because Blockbuster closed doesn't mean the rest did.

Cigarette girls are still working in nightclub environments in Vegas.

lol I quit scrolling through....

Thanks, Donald!
Posted By: copper

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/14/18 09:05 PM

Not a very good list....

Broomsquire....Hand made brooms are still made, so that ones wrong.

Baked potato seller.....Had one off a street seller last time I visited England.

Caddy butcher....Saw these in France last year.

Rat catcher....Now called "Pest Control"....See yellow pages.

Water carrier.... mostly women and children in third world countries!
Posted By: TLC

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/14/18 09:32 PM

I have weekly dairy delivery. wavegirl
Posted By: soot

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/15/18 03:12 AM

Some of my bosses still have a typist...I think they think they are too important to type themselves think
Posted By: Mad

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/15/18 04:52 PM

So True !!!! lol lol lol
Posted By: Mikael

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/16/18 06:04 AM

No, not a good list. Mainly aims at being funny, but fails to be that. What about proof readers? I miss them every day...
Posted By: Marian

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/16/18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikael
No, not a good list. Mainly aims at being funny, but fails to be that. What about proof readers? I miss them every day...

I used to be an editor/proofreader and I see things in articles online now that are the stuff of nightmares. Just the other day I got an email from my power company, an email that was sent to thousands of people, and there was a mistake in the very first sentence. Apparently very few people bother to check such things anymore. Definitely a lost art.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/16/18 09:17 PM

It used to be (I always thought so anyway) that those mistakes were a tip-off of an email scam, but no longer.

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/16/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
Originally Posted By: Mikael

I used to be an editor/proofreader and I see things in articles online now that are the stuff of nightmares. Just the other day I got an email from my power company, an email that was sent to thousands of people, and there was a mistake in the very first sentence. Apparently very few people bother to check such things anymore. Definitely a lost art.

I like to watch the "teletext" news on my TV. No pictures. Just printed news.
It tends to cover important news items with much less "sensationalism" but the grammar and spelling can both be atrocious - and this is the BBC where the accuracy of such things used to be paramount shocked

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/16/18 10:42 PM

I'm really sorry to hear that this sort of thing is happening in England too, Mad. thumbsdown

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/16/18 10:43 PM

Baaad, ain't it ???? rolleyes

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/17/18 03:13 AM

I think it's happening everywhere. It's the digital format that allows journalists (or "writers") to publish directly online with a single mouse click without the time consuming (and expensive) interference of a typesetter, proof reader, and editor.

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/17/18 03:26 AM

But it will eventually cause a serious deterioration of "the written word" - which to my mind is a great shame thumbsdown

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/20/18 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Mad
But it will eventually cause a serious deterioration of "the written word" - which to my mind is a great shame thumbsdown

Yes, that's the cost of the demand for faster and less expensive publishing. Here in Sweden, the deterioration is already a fact. Not even the school teachers know their own grammar anymore.

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 10/20/18 04:05 AM

Well just how ridiculous is that ???? shocked

Especially when I think back to the days of my schooling ( a very long time ago, of course wink ) and the years and years of English Language lessons I undertook sad
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 11/15/18 07:03 PM

This line is part of a want ad listed on Indeed today. Made me think of this thread. It is for a Pet Sitter.

"We take the safety of our fury friends extremely serious and pay to have all of our sitters and walkers go through a Pet CPR and First Aid Certification!"

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 11/15/18 07:16 PM

Yep, oldbroad, I see mistakes like that every day now.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: 50 jobs that no longer exist - 11/16/18 01:38 AM

Sometimes those dogs do pack some fury! lol
© 2024 GameBoomers Community