GB HOMEPAGE

The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch?

Posted By: katbear50

The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/17/09 02:27 PM

The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch?
Is there a patch for this game?
It freezes 2 words into the game intro.
have to shut dwn with ctrl/alt/del
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/17/09 04:15 PM

This game has been discussed at length in this forum; search for the topic. There are no patches that will help you if your system uses WinXP nor probably Vista. Some very very few lucky users can play this game under WinXP. I've seen two or three reports of success.

There is a fair chance the WinXP SP2 security updates prevent the game from running. The closest you can get to the game running in WinXP is to extract the file WMASF.DLL from the Windows Media Player 7.1 that comes with the game and place it in the game directory. That will stop the freezing but no game movies will play.

If you are using Win98SE, there are patches that are supposed to prevent the first movie from running after which the game should play normally. These patches also have problems on some systems.
Posted By: Karsten

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/17/09 06:02 PM

I could only get this game to run by un-installing the latest version of quicktime and install the quicktime version that comes with the game (version 4.0 or 5.0, I think)

I haven't tried Robert's suggestions as I sincde have read the descriptions for the game; it is not a game I'm interested in playing. However, it did come with a game, I'm interested in playing.

Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/17/09 06:33 PM

Karsten,
Are you sure you haven't confused Windows Media Player with QuickTime?
Mystery of the Nautilus used Windows Media Player, and I don't believe it shipped with any version of QuickTime.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/17/09 07:49 PM

Sounds like a good candidate for Virtual PC (I'll have to pick up a copy and see). If you've got a Windows 9x installation disk and are interested, you can find VPC at the link below.

Virtual PC 2007

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/17/09 08:17 PM

*** WHOA ***
Yall are like so far above my head it's swimming.
This blonde g'ma is technically challenged.
Throw me some basic HTML, ask me to post an image
on a simple Website yeah,
but Geeze Louise
I would love to play it, but I guess it goes on
the For Sale / Trade list.
:-(

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay
I followed the Link posted by InlandAZ.
I s'pose I understand it a little better.
Is it very blonde g'ma friendly?
;-)

Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/17/09 09:49 PM

Do you have a copy of Windows 98 you can install inside Virtual PC?

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/17/09 11:33 PM

nada
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/18/09 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: katbear50
nada

If you're still interested - you can usually find a copy on eBay for a reasonable price.

Microsoft MS Windows 98 with Key New SEALED
Posted By: CHAOS!

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/18/09 02:19 AM

I was able to run Nautilus under VPC with Win 98.To be honest, I had better luck running the game under XP. I think I'm one of those very lucky few that Robert Gault mentioned.Only thing I did was find,download, & add WMP 8 codecs.I also unchecked all of WMP's file associations, as I use Winamp for music, & Blaze dvd to watch movies.
Posted By: Karsten

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/18/09 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Karsten,
Are you sure you haven't confused Windows Media Player with QuickTime?
Mystery of the Nautilus used Windows Media Player, and I don't believe it shipped with any version of QuickTime.

Isn't The Mystery of the Nautilus and the Secret of the Nautilus the same game? released in Europe and in US/CAN with different titles? Or is there something I have totally misunderstood here?

Posted By: petert

Re: The Mystery of the Nautilus ~ freezes ~ Patch? - 04/18/09 08:21 PM

Yes, you are right. They are the same game.

When I had problems, I contacted The Adventure Company, and they admitted that it would not run on XP and gave me a refund - another game.

I did finally get the European version to run later on XP, by hitting Escape at the same time as clicking New Game (following advice that can be found on this website) but, like Robert Gault said, that was very much a matter of pure luck. Although it is unlikely to work for you, you could give it a try - nothing to lose. If it does work, you will miss the first and last videos, otherwise it will run OK. And I have played worse games, even though the game would cause Jules Verne to rotate rapidly in his grave.

petert
© 2024 GameBoomers Community