GB HOMEPAGE

Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection

Posted By: traveler

Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 11/29/10 01:47 AM

It's driving me nuts, especially because the graphics are great and so are the ambient sounds. But I'll have to use a walkthrough if this keeps up because I can't understand what the characters are saying.

I've tried changing the compatibility settings to Windows XP, Service Pack 2, to Win98 and Win95. No go. If the voice clears for a minute, the next time I talk to someone it starts that stuttering/skipping again.

I read the page on Legacy Games and Hyperthreading and looked to see if my computer is hyperthreading. The result was to leave me as confused as before because what it says is "ACPI x64-based PC".

I tried the first solution anyway (whatever it was) and was denied access. (I'm running as admin.) So, I tried the second one, with some trepidation since I get nervous fiddling with my computer, and put imagecfg.exe in Sys32. I brought up Command Prompt and typed everything in correctly, for a wonder, and got the result I was supposed to, but that didn't work either.

However, I don't know a darned thing about using Command Prompt and it has just occurred to me that the command may not have stuck since I had no idea how to get out of DOS except to type Exit. Should I have typed something else first, like Apply?

If not, does anyone have any suggestion on how to cure this stuttering?

Gil.
Using Win7 Pro 64 bit

Well, thinking about it, I realize that imagecfg may have nothing at all to do with sound but I had to try something.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 11/29/10 03:28 AM

Gil, have you tried playing the game in XP or even 98 SE compatibility mode?

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 11/29/10 04:08 AM

Yup, I tried everything I was offered. Nothing works. I thought for a minute that 98 worked because Jonathon and the loony old man at the inn conversed really well but then Jonathon went over to talk to the innkeeper and the dialogue was so garbled there was no way to make sense of it.

I'm playing from the disk, btw, not a download or I'd probably be thinking I'd gotten a corrupted file.

Just so I'll know, is it okay to do something in DOS and then just type Exit?

Gil.
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 11/29/10 06:17 AM

If my brain cells remember correctly, Exit is how you quit DOS. In fact, I just tried it and yep, Exit gets you out of DOS.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 11/29/10 04:46 PM

Quote:
However, I don't know a darned thing about using Command Prompt and it has just occurred to me that the command may not have stuck since I had no idea how to get out of DOS except to type Exit. Should I have typed something else first, like Apply?

So long as you saw the expected results (below) the processor affinity has been modified.

file: contains no configuration information
file: contains a Subsystem Version of x.x
file: Updated with the following config information: Process Affinity Mask: 00000001

Quote:

If not, does anyone have any suggestion on how to cure this stuttering?

Have you updated your BIOS and Sound drivers?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 11/29/10 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: traveler
I read the page on Legacy Games and Hyperthreading and looked to see if my computer is hyperthreading. The result was to leave me as confused as before because what it says is "ACPI x64-based PC".

We should really change the title of that page to "Legacy Games, Hyperthreading, and Dual or Multiple Processors" because the same problems that appeared on Hyperthreading Pentium IV's when they first came out are also appearing on computers with Dual core, Tri core, Quad core or other Multi-core processors.

The command window may "look like" DOS, but it isn't. It's just a way of giving instructions to your computer. You can leave a command window open while you're playing a game and it won't affect anything. It's not like running a trainer where it's doing something as long as it's open.

Some of these older games just run better inside a VM like Virtual PC.
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 11/29/10 10:39 PM

To traveler :
Quote:
I'm playing from the disk, btw

Have tried using a No CD fix, not having the CD spinning away while you are playing might help the performance and eliminate the stuttering.

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 11/29/10 11:36 PM

Thank you all! I really appreciate the help.

Gil.

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/03/10 04:05 AM

Just so you know, nothing worked. What's so weird is that at times the voices were perfect. The first time I spoke to the innkeeper, the old man and Dorko, Dracula's talk to his henchmen and the voiceover at the end were all clear as a bell. Thank goodness this game didn't have much dialogue because the rest was a mess and I resorted to YouTube to hear what Dorko had to say later on.

I'm glad I stuck with it, though. It was short and not very hard but it was a beautiful game and I'm keeping it.

Gil.

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/03/10 04:40 AM

And if you haven't already done it, complete the story with Dracula The Last Sanctuary which picks up right where Resurrection left off....

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/03/10 05:31 AM

Will do, Draclvr! This is the sort of first person I like. I point, I click and he goes there without my reeling around as if I'm drunk. <g>

Incidentally, this is the best depiction of Dracula I've seen and I hope he's the same in The Last Sanctuary. The pretty boy in Origins and the gross Dracula in 3 were just not my idea of the ominous, evil Vlad Tepes!

Gil.

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/03/10 03:09 PM

You won't be disappointed!
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/05/10 01:59 AM

Resurrection was good but Last Santuary was better Traveler. I think you'll like it!

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/05/10 02:12 AM

If the graphics are anywhere near as amazing, I'm sure I will!

Gil.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/05/10 05:17 AM

They're nearly identical - you can judge for yourself below.

Dracula: The Last Sanctuary - Screen Shots

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/05/10 06:19 AM

Oh, dear, I see by the screen shots
Click to reveal..
that Dorko bought the farm. <g> She's not alone, I just did, too. Done in by a really ugly bat thing.

Oh, well, back to the fray. <g>

Gil.

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/10/10 04:27 AM

I know this is not the place for it, but having finished Dracula, the Last Sanctuary, I just have to say, Wow! You were so right, oldbroad!

<g>

Gil.

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/10/10 04:30 AM

We told ya! My very first adventure game was Dracula TLS. Glad you enjoyed it...

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 12/10/10 04:46 AM

Did I ever! No wonder you're a Draclvr. <g>

Gil.
Posted By: Terena

Re: Voice stutters in Dracula Resurrection - 10/26/13 10:12 PM

Apologies for the necro, but I was having a similar issue, and thought I'd post my fix for anyone else having problems.

I don't know if the OP was running it on a laptop, but I experienced this issue ONLY when trying to run it on a laptop (with an nvidia card), it was perfectly fine on my desktop.

I discovered the laptop was automatically defaulting to using the onboard graphics rather than the discrete graphics card. Changing the setting completely fixed the stuttering for me.

Just open the nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings, select the game from the list, choose the discrete graphics card as the preferred processor, and apply.

Hope this is helpful for someone!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community