GB HOMEPAGE

New Computer

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

New Computer - 09/23/12 11:25 PM

I am desperate for a new computer as my mother board is failing and I need my computer to earn a living.

My hubby gets a discount at Tiger Direct so he would prefer I get it there but anywhere I can go pick one up would be acceptable such as Best Buy.

This is my gaming computer so it has to be able to handle the new games. I would really like to keep it under a thousand dollars.

I also prefer Nvidia graphics card.

Any suggestions please and thank you. I need to decide really quickly.

Ana thanks
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 12:50 AM

Have you considered having eCollegePC build you one? They will build one to your specifications and provide a 3 year parts and labor warranty at no extra charge. Shipping is free too. A bunch of people here at GB have gotten new gaming computers from them. They are also very fast in building one for you.

This is an example of one that cuts no corners for $1053, free shipping and 3 year warranty. You can always back off on a couple of things to stay under $1,000.

Intel Core i5-3570 3.4Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core
Stock Intel LGA1155 Heatsink and Fan
ASUS P8H77-V LE (Intel H77, HDMI, DVI, 2xPCI-E, 6xSATA, 4xDDR3)
4GB (2GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand)
24X LG SATA Lightscribe Dual Layer DVD+/-RW DVD-RAM w/Nero
1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-DVI/HDMI (Major Brand)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Antec Black Three Hundred Two (3 5.25, 6 3.5) 2 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0
650watt AGI Power Supply
Onboard LAN included
Onboard Sound included
Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans
3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

You can always add more RAM later if you need to, but if possible, I'd go with 8 GB.

If hubby knows what to get, check them out.

EcollegePC

EDIT: I should add that unless they have changed, places like Best Buy sell computers with integrated graphics and as a gamer - even the new adventure games - you will not be happy with one from there.

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 01:13 AM

Thanks Drac! Even though I did not want to order, I will pray mine holds on for a few days and will order it in the morning unless someone has anything better. I value all your opinions, I really do not know where to start on my own. thanks
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 01:22 AM

I'd agree with Draclvr. You can order what you want, and if anything happens to the computer, eCollege will give you good customer service.

It's hard to find a good gaming computer at a local store like Target or Best Buy. Most of them sell pre-built computers that aren't meant for better than casual gaming. And if they do sell gaming computers, they charge more for them than eCollege would for an equivalent computer.

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 01:37 AM

Thanks Drac and Jenny. With the two of you behind it, I won't wait till morning.

Thank you! hearts

EDIT: What do you guys think about adding cooling?
Posted By: Marian

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 01:57 AM

Just wanted to say that my son has a computer from eCollege and he couldn't be happier with it.

And if you do order from them, be sure to take advantage of that 5% discount code showing on the top righthand side of their home page. wave

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 02:15 AM

Well, I thank you all and I just finished buying it.

I upgraded the memory to 8GB, the cooling system and got the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card and with the 5% discount it ended up being 1048.00.

Now I just have to pray mine stays up till it gets here.

Thanks again!

EDIT, Marian, thanks about the discount. I saw it when I loaded the page and fortunately remembered when I checked out, It helps!

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 04:42 AM

Wow, good buy. I just grabbed a good Antec Case - or did you get a different one? They have a ton of other ones too. The Antec case is nothing fancy, but gets very good ratings at Newegg. The two USB ports on the front of the case are USB 3.0 too. I would definitely stay away from the default case. It's OK for a lightweight system and I've used it for one build for a guy in his late 70's. But it's too small for enough cooling for an Ivy Bridge processor and that video card.

If you upgraded the stock cooler, that's a good upgrade. From what I understand the Ivy Bridge CPUs run a bit hotter than the Sandy Bridge CPUs do. Even an extra case fan would be good depending on which case you got.

You could have upgraded the motherboard too, but that Asus is a very good one and has plenty of upgrade potential should you ever need to. It's a good compromise and let's you get the better video card and stay close to your budget.

Just FYI, the business is right here in St. Louis in the South County Shopping Center. So your ground shipping should be pretty fast.
Posted By: Mad

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 11:32 AM

Congrats, BrownEyedTigre !! Hope your new machine is fabulous !! bravo

I'll be coming to these fine people here at Gameboomers for advice also - as soon as I have the cash to go buy praise

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 03:16 PM

Drac, I left the case that you picked. It was hard to make a choice without a bunch of pictures. As long as it runs, I don't care what it looks like. lol

Thank you again for your help. It is much appreciated.

Mad, I hope you can get a new one soon. I hope that Sherlock runs on yours! hearts

Ana wave

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 03:26 PM

I just hope your old one holds up until the new one gets there!

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 03:31 PM

I am talking to it really nicely. grin
Posted By: flutist

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 04:54 PM

Give it TLC Ana. Congrats on the new one.
Posted By: Homer6

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 07:08 PM

Are we going to see pictures of your new baby when it arrives? I just looovvveee pictures.

Nice selection, ana.

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 07:13 PM

I can most certainly post a picture Homer. grin

Thanks Bets!

I emailed them this morning to upgrade the motherboard but haven't heard back yet.

Ana wave

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 07:17 PM

Ooo... what did you upgrade to?

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 07:24 PM

Not a huge upgrade but at least it's something:

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H (Intel Z77, 3xPCI-E, 8xSATA, 4xDDR3)

I just wish they had a phone # since they haven't responded to my email. I suppose the worst that can happen is it's too late to upgrade. I am sure the other choice will be good also.

Ana wave

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 08:07 PM

A great upgrade - the Z77 gives you even more options for things such as using a SSD for a cache drive and some other things. Excellent choice! I just threw in stuff to try to keep it under $1,000.

I'm sure they are still wading through orders from the weekend. Mike is very good about responding to emails. I've even done last minute changes and they never blinked an eye.

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 08:17 PM

I responded to the email they sent me this morning to look over the specs. Do you think I should send a separate one?

Ana wave

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 08:52 PM

If you don't hear a confirmation by this afternoon, I would definitely send a follow-up to make sure they got your upgrade information.

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 11:01 PM

Thanks Drac, I sent them another email and then they responded. They were able to do the upgrade, it was only 22 dollars with the discount so I figured it was worth it.

I am thankful for your help, I was lost on my own.

Ana wave

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 11:16 PM

Sweet! Without question, a worthy upgrade. You will be in heaven... Are you going from XP or Vista to Windows 7? If so, I can do Windows 7 in my sleep, so just holler if you need help. Inland is even better...

Because this computer will be just as though you built it yourself, it will come with none of the bloatware on a branded computer. For instance, if you used Outlook Express or Windows Live, you will have to download Windows Live Essentials for email, Messenger and a ton of other free extras. If you have a paid subscription to an antivirus program, you should be able to transfer it. Otherwise, download and install one of the excellent free ones such as Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast. Unlike branded computers, you will get all your original driver and operating system disks too.

Re: New Computer - 09/24/12 11:30 PM

I have a new Win 7 machine here. I use two complete sets on my desk that are networked.
I write my strategy guides on the Win7 on my right and edit screenshots on that one, while I play the games on the left gaming computer and take screenshots and network share it with the one on the right. lol My gaming computer is the one retiring and it's an XP. It turns 4 in 2 days. grin

I do not do much else on the computer so I don't really need anything. My other computer is the one I do mail and the internet on. I like my gaming computers clean and that's a plus on doing it this way. I have Microsoft Office also that I believe I can carry over if I disable it on the other one.

Thanks again!

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 12:10 AM

I'm drooling - I want that setup!

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 12:19 AM

I do like it Drac! It took me awhile to get the way I needed it to be productive. I also like that I can play a game on one and watch GameBoomers on the other without missing a beat. grin

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 12:28 AM

Multi-tasking at it's finest! grin
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 01:12 AM

Sounds like you're going to have fun - it's a nice rig smile

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 02:36 AM

Thanks Inland!

Ana wave
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 03:18 AM

Way to go Ana, that is the same motherboard I bought from them. I got one of those cases that reports the internal temperature of the computer on a little panel on the front. With an extra case fan the temp averages 70 degrees F. The box is cool to the touch. The old Dell XPS sat on the floor under my desk. The drawer above it was always warm inside. This new rig no dispersed heat into the drawer and no radiant heat above the case. That extra fan sure proved to be a useful addition. The case shipped with three fans of its own.

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 03:22 AM

That's great oldmariner! My old one is a Dell XPS too.

Ana wave

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 11:44 AM

Congrats. again, BrownEyedTigre thumbsup

But you absolutely got to me, !!
So I am going to bite the bullet right now !! Watch out for my thread laugh laugh
Posted By: SharonB

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 11:45 AM

Glad to hear of your new computer, Ana. It sounds like a great system and a really good deal. Though I was sorry that I didn't see any mention of turbo on turbo. lol

I tried to spec out the same system you described on ecollege but my figures were always a little higher, even with the 5% savings.

I can't wait till I can get a new system. I'm going to dance around the room for a while once it arrives. zombie penguin zombie penguin yay

@Mad - You too?! eCollege? Can't wait to see what you order. rah yay thumbsup

Oh, the humanity! Where are the Publisher's Clearing House Award people when you need them? taz rotfl

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 02:38 PM

Mad won't be able to order from eCollegePC as they are a small local business. However CyberPower does build in the UK!

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 02:42 PM

My Son in Law will be doing the build for me, Draclvr, so I'm OK as regards that happydance

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 03:39 PM

Sharon, I started with the Intel Gaming System and then clicked the customize button to chamnge a few things.

Mad, woot Glad you are able to get one put together! How exciting.

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: New Computer - 09/25/12 03:54 PM

Mad, I'm excited for you! Woohoo!! woot thumbsup

Re: New Computer - 09/26/12 01:53 PM

I'm over excited NOW so what I'll be like when it's built I dread to think lol

Of course, I probably won't have a clue as to how to actually use it - so that will sober me up eek

How are you getting on, BrownEyedTigre think

Re: New Computer - 09/26/12 03:38 PM

I am waiting for the "your computer has shipped" email Mad and hoping it comes soon. I only had to shut down my computer twice yesterday to let it rest and then it behaved. It's difficult and unnerving to work on a deadline and pray that the computer stays running. eek

You will love your new set-up I am sure Mad. hearts

Re: New Computer - 09/26/12 04:35 PM

Agggghhhh !! I'll keep all fingers and toes crossed then till your new machine arrives !! All rather nerve-wracking for you scared

Re: New Computer - 09/26/12 07:54 PM

Ana I'm also keeping fingers crossed and saying a prayer that your system doesn't fail on you before you get your new one. I feel quite excited for both you and Mad to be getting new systems.

Although I know that getting a new system for you is a requirement for your livelihood and a whole new layer of stress, I still feel happy for you to get a new system for any reason.

Not sure I expressed myself well.

Re: New Computer - 09/26/12 08:46 PM

I understood that quite well Sharon. I am excited, it's always fun to get a new toy. I just wish the new toys wouldn't be so expensive. lol
Posted By: Homer6

Re: New Computer - 09/27/12 05:01 AM

Do we raise eyebrows because of the cost or because we know the cost of getting one? In other words, what does it cost us to pay the price for a new PC?

Re: New Computer - 09/27/12 05:21 AM

Or to put it in the words of traveler..."The main reason we have houses is to keep the rain off our computers."
Posted By: traveler

Re: New Computer - 09/27/12 08:28 AM

Hey, I'm in Bartlett's? rotfl

Trav

Re: New Computer - 09/27/12 03:26 PM

I'm lost, but that's okay. lol

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 03:39 PM

Ana, any news on the new computer? Is the old one holding up?

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 04:07 PM

Want to hear all about it.

I'm gonna wait till Windows 8 comes out and been out for a while in case there are bugs in it. lol

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 05:00 PM

My computer came yesterday and not a moment too soon because my other one died Saturday. sad

It took me forever to get my screenshot program to work but after 4 hours and many bad words I found the solution on a gaming tech forum. Now I am all set to work. yay

Here is my work station. The gaming computer is on the left, the mail, internet and all other functions is on the right. Two UPS battery backups are under the desk.

Thanks again for all your help. I am hoping this one will take me through another 4 years at least. grin

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 06:04 PM

Very nice Ana. Boy, look at all the cables! lol

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 06:12 PM

It's 2 cameras, touchpad, iphone, headphones etc. Only a few are actualy computer cables. lol

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 06:25 PM

Very nice, Ana. I've been spec'ing out my own system on ecollege. It may not cost as much as I thought. smile. Time will tell. Good luck.

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 06:49 PM

Wonderful setup! I love that you have the sunset picture on the wall - I've always loved that picture. I will be curious to see what you think of all the spiffy new speedy hardware and how it handles gaming.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 07:24 PM

Nice looking setup.. and I am impressed... you work standing up. :-)
Posted By: Terri824

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 07:46 PM

Too funny Winfrey. rotfl

It appears that I will be another one biting the bullet. My old pc is caput, so Drac I will be getting in touch with you again. Meanwhile I will go back and check out the spec on Ana's.

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 08:08 PM

Did you take it in to the PC repair shop yet?
Posted By: Terri824

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 08:16 PM

Well..............the guy didn't show up today. He had good reviews! I got in touch with another guy and he said that it was the graphics card and would run about 150/200.00 but I told him I had replaced it. He asked for model info and told me it wasn't worth fixing. I do agree, just didn't want to have to buy anything so close to Christmas. I am still curious what's wrong with it.
Gotta go, hair appointment. wave

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 08:23 PM

Sharon, I hope you can get the one you want within your price range. luck

Drac, I have my favorite photos made onto canvas. That one is relaxing for me if I get stressed. I just look up and feel better.
So far, it actually seems the same as the one I had. I am sure I will notice more when I play something more graphic intensive.

Winfrey, lol Actually I put the exercise bike in front of it and ride. Just kidding! rotfl

Terri, good luck on your computer!

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 08:39 PM

Great that you are up and running with your newie, BrownEyedTigre !! And thanks for the piccie rah rah rah
Posted By: Geo

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 09:23 PM

Hello B.E.T.
I have good news and bad news.
The good news is thats a nice setup.
The bad news is,I notice you are using the Linksys modem-router setup which is what I was using. If you have a comcast isp sooner or later you will be getting a letter telling you to upgrade your equipment to a series 3 because they are upgrading will no longer be compatable with the old series 1 equipment which those linksys boxes are. I guess they are working their way around the country upgrading the isp to a faster speed.If you dont have comcast Im not sure what will happen.Probably all isp's will be doing that in the future.

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 09:43 PM

Bummer Geo. sad I am indeed using linksys and I have Comcast. I don't have any emails yet but I will keep an eye out. Another expense I did not need. lol

Thanks for the info!
Posted By: Geo

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 09:51 PM

Do not dispair B.E.T.
When you do the switch you will be amazed at the increase in speed. You will be happy!
The series 3 boxes are very reasonable. I think I got the Motorola for under $90.
-----------------------------------------
The more correct terms are Docsis 1.0 as the old specs. and Docsis 3.0 as the new faster specs.It is my understanding the Docsis 3.0 are backward compatable.

Re: New Computer - 10/02/12 09:54 PM

THat's good news Geo! Thanks. I'll have hubby keep an eye out for a deal from his suppliers, maybe we can be ready when it happens then.

Ana wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community