GB HOMEPAGE

Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7

Posted By: UruKat

Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/29/12 05:55 PM

Ok, I read in Draclvrs thread that it will play with a Vista Patch, but I can't find the patch.
Can anyone help me out?

Plus...has anyone been able to play Still Life on Windows 7? I just get a black screen.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/29/12 06:05 PM

You can try this one - SH: The Awakened Patch 3 - Multilanguage

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/29/12 06:09 PM

Thanks....I will try it. Do I have to do anything special after I download it?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/29/12 06:11 PM

Probably just double-click the patch file after you download it and it should unzip and prompt you for installation.

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/29/12 06:13 PM

ok...trying it now...thanks so much!

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/29/12 06:39 PM

Still not working. I keep getting an error message that it cannot run because it's missing a MSVCR71.dll file. frown

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/29/12 07:11 PM

I'm not sure which game you're getting the msvcr error with (you mentioned both The Awakened and Post Mortem), but according to ***this thread***, Windows 7 does have these "missing" msvcr dll files, but puts them in a different place than earlier Windows.

Have you tried playing the game with compatibility mode set to Windows XP or Windows 2000?

Or if you could find the "missing" file in the C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\... folder the way the person on that forum did, you can try copying it (don't move it) the way he did.
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/29/12 07:13 PM

You can download that separately, if it's missing:

HERE

Edit: Cross-posted with Jenny. Try Jenny's solution first!

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/30/12 05:13 AM

Sorry, I was away from my computer all day.

Jenny, the error message was for the Sherlock Holmes game. I tried changing the compatibility mode but it still wouldn't work.

Rushes....I will try your link and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for your help....I will let you know if anything worked. smile

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/30/12 06:01 AM

I downloaded the dll from Rushes link and it worked perfectly!
Thanks so much!

Now if I could only get Still Life to work on Windows 7, but I have a feeling it won't. If anyone has, please let me know...thanks again. smile
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/30/12 01:49 PM

Glad that did the trick! This is a great game, hope you enjoy it.
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/30/12 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: UruKat
I downloaded the dll from Rushes link and it worked perfectly!
Thanks so much!

Now if I could only get Still Life to work on Windows 7, but I have a feeling it won't. If anyone has, please let me know...thanks again. smile

Not to hijack the thread , but , there is a Still Life patch for Vista available . The patch is,in French , but will not alter the game files from French to English . When I used Vista , albeit very briefly , I used this patch with success . I was able to install and play Still Life normally . Here is the link : http://www.gamefront.com/files/Still+Life+Vista+Patch/;11762898;/fileinfo.html

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/30/12 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Creeping_Doom
Not to hijack the thread , but , there is a Still Life patch for Vista available . The patch is,in French , but will not alter the game files from French to English . When I used Vista , albeit very briefly , I used this patch with success . I was able to install and play Still Life normally . Here is the link : http://www.gamefront.com/files/Still+Life+Vista+Patch/;11762898;/fileinfo.html

Will the Vista patch let me play it on Windows 7?
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/30/12 07:45 PM

Seeing as how , at the core , Vista and Win 7 are the same , there should not really be a problem . You may try , after the patch install , to select "run as administrator" if the game will not start normally .

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 09/30/12 08:24 PM

I can't believe it! I got Still Life to run on Windows 7! I installed the patch Creeping Doom told me about, changed compatibility to 4.0 and it runs fine.

I am so happy! Thanks for all your help! smile smile

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 10/01/12 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: UruKat
I got Still Life to run on Windows 7! I installed the patch Creeping Doom told me about, changed compatibility to 4.0 and it runs fine.

Thanks for letting us know what worked for you, UruKat.
Enjoy the game.
Posted By: Moondancer

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 05/04/14 06:43 PM

I feel heartbroken that I cannot play my beloved The Awakened on my 64-bit Win 7 anymore... (Traveller from JA here) Hi Inland and Jenny. smile

I've read the thread and applied all the patches i could find. I wonder if re-installed my VPC and putting my old version of 32 bit XP on it would help?

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 05/04/14 08:28 PM

The Awakened won't play in Virtual PC because Virtual PC emulates the old S3 Trio video card from the 1990's that has only 8MB of video RAM and no acceleration. It doesn't meet the system requirements for The Awakened, which requires a minimum of 64MB video RAM.

You could try it in VMware Player or VirtualBox though. Those have experimental video acceleration that might work.

If you try compatibility mode in Windows 7, you should both install in compatibility mode (change compatibility of the Install/Setup file to an earlier version of Windows before running the installer) and also make sure compatibility is set to that earlier version of Windows.

There may also be a problem with the TAGES copy "protection," which may need an update.
http://www.frogwares.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15
Posted By: Moondancer

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 05/04/14 08:37 PM

Thanks, Jenny! I've tried this:" If you try compatibility mode in Windows 7, you should both install in compatibility mode (change compatibility of the Install/Setup file to an earlier version of Windows before running the installer) and also make sure compatibility is set to that earlier version of Windows."

But, it might be that blasted Tages, so let me try the fix you posted for that before going on to something more drastic.

Thanks!
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Trying to play Sherlock Holmes, The Awakened with Windows 7 - 05/04/14 09:40 PM

If you've never updated the dratted Tages drivers, it will not work in Windows 7 until you do.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community