GB HOMEPAGE

Internet Explorer

Posted By: granny

Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 03:42 AM

Every day I get several flips asking me to use it.

Would that be better than whatever the PC came with? Would it get rid of that #%^$&% BING?
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 04:23 AM

Granny, Internet Explorer comes with Windows. You can change your search engine to whatever you want. Which browser are you using right now? Firefox? Chrome? Something else?

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 08:27 AM

I really have no idea, not Firefox, cause they keep offering themself also. That's what I had on my XP, they drove me crazy with Updates.

Never heard of Chrome, would that maybe be what it is now ? How would I find that out?

Whatever it is, It makes me go thru 3 dif. screens in order to get on line, Yahoo and a lot of Bing [blip], and that takes up one third of the of the screen. I have used the delete on it many times, but it just will not go away.

As I mentioned before, after recovering from a stroke this summer, my mind has just deleted about everything I learned about my 'puters.

Sometimes I'm tempted to put my fist right thru the screen.

Any who, which one should I say yes to?

I am soooooo lucky to have you Gals and Guys to re-learn from, hope I don't drive you crasy.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 01:10 PM

Chrome is the browser that was developed by Google.
I don't care for it myself, but some people like it. If you want to try it, you can get it here --> https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

If you don't like IE and Firefox, I'd recommend trying the Opera browser, which you can download from here --> http://www.opera.com/

All browsers will have security updates, but hopefully Opera won't bother you as frequently as Firefox.

You could also try Seamonkey, which is similar to Firefox but seems to have fewer updates (in my experience anyway).
You can get Seamonkey here --> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Both Firefox and Seamonkey can use Adblock Plus, which might help if you're being bombarded with ads.
***Adblock Plus for Firefox***
***Adblock Plus for Seamonkey***

Bing and Yahoo are not browsers. They are for doing web searches. It sounds like whatever browser you're using may be asking you which one you want to use for a search engine, and since you're not choosing any of them, you're being asked every time you start the web browser. It's also possible they're asking to install a toolbar or "Active desktop type thing." If that's the case, ad-blocking software would help.

If you can't tell what web browser you're using now, your computer may have come with some extra software that's sitting between you and Internet Explorer. A screenshot of what you see when you try to get to the Internet would help.
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 05:40 PM

To add to Jenny100's comments, both FireFox and Seamonkey can be set to ignore any updates. That may not be a good idea but if you don't like auto-updates, just turn them off.
Posted By: traveler

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 06:29 PM

A better option might be to turn auto-updates ON, then the browser won't be asking her if she wants to update.

It sounds to me as if Jenny's right and her computer (Is it a new one?) came with some junk program granny doesn't want. That or she hasn't chosen a browser or a search engine as the Default, though I've got to say that I don't remember ever being bothered about a default search engine.

Granny, at the top of Opera - and it may be this way with your browser - there is a a list of functions that goes File, Edit, View, Bookmarks, Tools, Help. If you click on Tools, it brings up a window where you can go to Preferences. In Preferences, you go to Search. In Search, you can choose which search engine you want to use as the Default.

See if you have that option in whatever browser you're using.

Gil.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 07:03 PM

I think granny's issues are confusing enough that a screenshot is the only thing that can help pinpoint what they actually are. IE is automatically set as the default browser in Windows unless you download and install another one and set THAT one as the default browser.

I wonder if the issue isn't IE, but rather that granny doesn't like the Bing search engine.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 08:14 PM

Quote:
Whatever it is, It makes me go thru 3 dif. screens in order to get on line

What screens? Have you set a default home page? I've never had to do anything but start the browser and it goes straight to my homepage.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 09:49 PM

Inland,

When I got my new computer and downloaded WinLiveMail, (Explorer, the default browser for Windows, no longer comes with an independent email client) AT&T (my internet service provider) did their darndest to have me logging in to Yahoo, with which they have some kind of agreement. It took me a while to convince my computer that it didn't have to go there.

Maybe granny's ISP is responsible for what's going on. But as Draclvr said.... Granny, can you take a screenshot and post it somewhere like Image Shack for us to see? You do not have to join, just use the first little window that says Upload, browse to the screenshot and press the button. Then send a link to the picture.

Gil.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 10:06 PM

That's right, Gil. Windows 7 only comes with the IE browser. You download all the other programs independently. I loved it because I don't use Messenger and a couple other programs that used to come integrated into the OS. I only downloaded Live Mail and one other one because those are the only ones I'll ever use.

I hope granny posts back because it's hard to understand exactly what screens she's seeing before she gets to her home page.
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 10:57 PM

There have been times when I get a permission window asking to allow Bing to do this or that. I usually end up seeing it 2 or 3 times before I finally check the don't show this window box and tell it no. This could be what granny is seeing.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 11:29 PM

Gaaa...! That would make me crazy!

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/08/12 11:39 PM

Anytime I see anything Bing related I uninstall it - nothing but a pain.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/09/12 05:10 AM

I agree 100%.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/09/12 03:53 PM

I use Bing as a search engine, but don't install anything from them.
Posted By: Barry

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 01:23 AM

Google only for me. Can't stand Bing or yahoo

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 03:53 AM

WOW !!! what a bunch of replies..... First, I don't know how to make a picture or send one.

When I first turned the PC on, AT&T was changing to Yahoo for Email,( Yahoo put Bing junk everywhere.)

I had no way to go online except by going thru Yahoo, then to a couple of other pages to get to the MAIL Box symbel,(SP)? and finally to the mailbox. Finally pushed a button that gets me there with only two pops.

Now to the Brouser...... As I said, IE comes on several times an hour asking me if I want it, I key no so it goes away for a while.

You think maybe I should just give up and say Yes?

I did try the ADBLOCKS (not at the same time ) each one says it will take only one minute to download, then changes to several buttons to click, and goes and on with things I know nothing about. Each one put it's Symbal at the bottomfor a min. or two, then went away, giving a "Can't do it" message.

I am going to try the TOOLS - Prefereences - Search and see what happens.

What a terrific bunch of folks we have here. love all of you.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 04:48 AM

granny,

It sounds as if IE is trying to update. We might be able to find out if you do this.
Click on Help at the top of your browser. (If you don't see the word Help, it will be a Question Mark.)
Then click on About Internet Explorer. That will bring up the Version number of your browser.
If it is not IE 9, your browser is probably trying to get you to update.
I'd tell it Yes, if it is. IE 9 is supposed to be good and safer than the earlier versions.

Gil. wink

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 06:39 AM

NOPE!!! There is no 'HELP" OR a question mark anywhere on the screen.....???

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 07:13 AM

There is no bar at the top of your browser with Tools or Help on it?

Tell you what, go to Google and you'll have a nice blank page with a black bar at the top that has all the Google programs on it like Search.

Above the black bar, you should see your browser bar. Check there for Tools, Help (or that Question Mark).

Gil.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 08:36 AM

Nope again, no Help or ?....I did see another reduced picture at the bottom that is IE. Guess that I was smart to pay attention on your last post and answered with a YES. Do I have to close down to get it started? That &^#$%( BING still says it's the boss.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 09:07 AM

Granny,

You've lost me. A reduced picture? You mean above your task bar at the bottom of the screen? (Are you running Windows 7?)

If you click that little picture that comes up when you hover your mouse over the IE icon on the task bar, the browser should come up.

It's just a little image of your browser that tells you it's already open.

WHERE is Bing? Bing can't be separate from your browser.

Okay, let's try this. We're going to take a picture of your screen. On your keyboard, up at the top where you have F1, F2, etc., there's a key out beside F12 (probably) that says Print Screen. Press that key when Bing is driving you nuts.

Then go to your Start Menu. Go to Accessories. You'll see Paint listed. Open Paint.

At the top of the screen to the left, there's a rectangle that looks like a clipboard and says Paste below or to the side of it. Click on that.

You'll now see an image of Bing (or whatever you took a screenshot of). Right above the clipboard that says Paste, there's a blue rectangle. Click on that and select Save As.... and save the picture to your Desktop.

Then go to the link I gave you in another post to Image Shack and upload the picture there. Then send us the link to that picture so we can Maybe figure out what's going on! grin

Gil.

PS: Remember, the screenshot in Paint will look Just Like your browser window. grin Don't mistake it for that.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 02:07 PM

As traveler says, if you have Bing, your browser (IE) is open. Bing is a search engine which is PART of IE. I don't use IE or Bing for search, but I will post a screenshot of what it looks like at the top of the page. Does it look familiar at all?

IE 9 and Bing Search Engine

If you don't see the row with File, Edit, View, Tools and Help on it, just right click at the top of the page and the option will show up to put a check mark by "Menu."

grin Gil, you have no idea how many times I've clicked on a screenshot!

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 03:24 PM

I found some instructions for posting an image online:
http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-upload-an-image

Quote:
When I first turned the PC on, AT&T was changing to Yahoo for Email,( Yahoo put Bing junk everywhere.)

Yes AT&T used to have their own web mail, but they farmed it out to Yahoo Mail. I didn't get the "Bing junk" when they did that though.

I use Firefox with Adblock Plus.
***link to the Adblock Plus addon for Firefox***
After installing, it will give you one of two default filters, either Easylist or Fanboy's List. You can also add your own custom filters.

I don't know if this will block this "Bing stuff" you're seeing if you've already installed something to do with Bing. But if what you're seeing is ads, it will block those.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 04:58 PM

There is another way to help granny, and that's for her to allow someone to remote access her computer.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr

If you don't see the row with File, Edit, View, Tools and Help on it, just right click at the top of the page and the option will show up to put a check mark by "Menu."

How dumb of me. Of course! Right click up at the top as Draclvr says, granny and select Menu Bar! (face palm) Once you've got that, you'll be able to find Help and give us your IE version number.

Quote:
grin Gil, you have no idea how many times I've clicked on a screenshot!

Oh, yes,I have! Been there too many times! laugh

Originally Posted By: Homer6
There is another way to help granny, and that's for her to allow someone to remote access her computer.

Homer6,

That is a very good idea. Are you up for it? grin

Gil.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/10/12 07:49 PM

Homer, I use the free version of Team Viewer. Once connected, you can open up a chat session or even a video chat if you have enough bandwidth.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/11/12 03:51 AM

Quote:

Prior to this - how did you open your email? Did you use Windows Live Mail, Outlook Express or your browser?

Quote:
I had no way to go online except by going thru Yahoo, then to a couple of other pages to get to the MAIL Box symbel,(SP)? and finally to the mailbox. Finally pushed a button that gets me there with only two pops.

This almost sounds like your home page has been set to yahoo.com, is that what you're looking at?

Quote:
Now to the Brouser...... As I said, IE comes on several times an hour asking me if I want it, I key no so it goes away for a while.

If it's not been set as the default browser, it's going to ask you what you what you want to do. If you're using IE, check "yes" otherwise check "no".

Quote:
I am going to try the TOOLS - Prefereences - Search and see what happens.

On the IE browser, press Tools, Internet Options and select the Programs Tab - if IE I the default browser, you'll see it there.

Re: Internet Explorer - 10/11/12 06:12 AM

Gil, I have an idea how it's done, but no practical experience.

Drac, This is the first time I've heard of that software. And as usual, I looked into it and since it was free, so far, I took the time to download it.

granny: After you start your computer do you have the regular windows screen as you did with XP? You'll see any wall paper you've set for the background, or the default Win 7 background. Icons for games, programs, etc. sitting on the screen--the Desktop. Down at the bottom on the window you have a bar that runs left to right along the bottom? Or right to left if it's more convenient. Does any program start just after you start the computer?

Once you start your computer you shouldn't have any program start unless you've told it to start upon computer startup. I don't prescribe to this, but it's a personal choice. If any program has opened after starting the computer, close it so you have the normal startup screen displayed.

Depending on how the software was configured, there may be icons on the Desktop for all of your Office programs, any antivirus software, and possibly the browser program that's been loaded. If you don't see an icon on the desktop for IE, then go down to the bottom of the screen and look on the Task Bar, the bar that runs along the bottom of the window. You're looking for an icon that looks like a large lower case 'E' with a gold colored band running across the face. That is the shortcut for IE.

Left clicking on that icon, or left double clicking on the icon on the desktop will start IE. If anything pops up while IE is starting, tell it no or continue, or whatever, and let IE completely start. If you find IE doesn't complete its startup, close it and start it again. This time tell the pop ups yes so they'll allow IE to finish starting--those can be removed later.

If Yahoo ends up in your face, then it needs to be changed to whatever home page you want. Look at the top right corner of the IE screen and four icons. The one that looks like a house takes you back to your home page. The one that looks like a star is your favorites and history. The one that looks like a gear is your tools pop up that allows you to do several things. The fourth one looks like a wrench, which is used to make adjustments to the tool bars at the top of the IE window.

To change your home page, click on the gear icon in the upper right of the IE window. Scroll down to Internet Options and left click. If the General Tab isn't open, click on the tab to open it. The very first heading is Home Page. If Yahoo has been set to your home page its url address should be in the box to the left of the heading. To change your home page you need to enter the url address of the web site you want IE to go to when it opens.

To get rid of unwanted tool bars, look at the upper left corner of IE and you'll see the name of the tool bars installed. To the left of each name is a small 'X'. Clicking on the small 'X' will remove that tool bar. To help keep them from trying to reinstall, go back to the gear icon at the top right of the screen. Scroll down to Manage add-ons, left click and another window opens. On the top left side it says add-on type. Click on the one that says Search Providers and all available search providers will be listed. Following each one listed to the right and you'll either see Enabled, or Disabled to tell you whether or not it's running. If Bind is enabled, disable it by going to the bottom left of the screen and click on Disable Suggestions. Once you click on this you will see the status change from Enabled to Disabled. Do the same thing for any search provider you don't want to use.

I realize this has been long winded, but short of someone being at your computer, or doing a remote access of your computer, it's the best I can offer.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community