GB HOMEPAGE

windows media player

Posted By: oldbroad

windows media player - 10/14/12 10:09 PM

In the discussion forum there is a posting by ghostlady regarding her new game Hauntings at Cliffside. She links to the website and there are three music samples to try. I cannot get them to play. They download as html files even though I choose all files. I'm sure I have some program that should play music (I think my Roxio?) but at least Windows Media Player. Nothing is happening and I really don't know how to work it I guess, although I never had a problem with it before. Seems it would just open and play.
Any help?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: windows media player - 10/14/12 11:05 PM

I'm not sure why they're downloading as html files in IE. When I download them with Firefox, they are mp3's.

However I checked on an XP computer with IE8, and sure enough when I right-click them and choose "Save Target As" they want to be html files.

Instead of right-clicking them, left click them.
When I do that, I get a new window with a box asking if I want to open or save the file.

Name: HouseOnTheHill.mp3

So maybe you can download them that way.

Once you have them downloaded as mp3 files, you shouldn't have any trouble playing them.
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: windows media player - 10/14/12 11:41 PM

That is odd I just went there. When right clicking on "House on the Hill" Save Link As offers an mp3 download of the file. I could not get it to offer an html.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: windows media player - 10/14/12 11:43 PM

I was actually in Win 7 using MSN Explorer, left clicking.

I went in IE(9) and tried it and WMP opens up but it does not ask about saving or opening. WMP opens and says: WMP cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Ah, okay. Went back in (IE9) and tried again and did the right click, save target as, and it worked. Won't work with left click though.

Thank you!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: windows media player - 10/15/12 12:15 AM

I guess if one way doesn't work, you try the other, whether it's left-click or right-click. I'm not sure why IE8 would be different from IE9. I normally only use IE8 for Windows Updates.

According to the ***Wikipedia***, MSN Explorer is essentially a graphics-heavy version of IE. I've never used it myself.

At least you found a way to get your files.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: windows media player - 10/15/12 01:42 AM

I never use it either. In Firefox, I simple clicked and was listening in about 1/2 second. In IE 9, it was the same. These are Quicktime files, but the tab in my browsers said .mp3.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community