GB HOMEPAGE

Fake Windows7 software

Posted By: lexxy

Fake Windows7 software - 12/05/12 11:38 AM

I am almost in tears. I have been waiting so long for my new custom gaming computer and finally last week it arrived. The guy who assembled it for me failed to tell me there is a counterfiet copy of Windows 7 Premium on my system. I turned it on and in the right hand corner of my screen it screams "this is not a genuine copy".I can still play my games and come to the net but I am at a lost as how to correct this problem. He is not answering my phone calls or email so I am on my own. I think my system is 32bit and there is a copy at Walmsrt for another $94 in addition to what I have already paid for the system but I am not sure if my system is 32 or 64. I also don't know if I uninstall everything on my computer before I install the new os. There is sooooo much i don't know and I would appreciate any and all help.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/05/12 02:59 PM

lexxy, don't do anything until you get this guy to provide you with what you have paid for. If he is dishonest enough to cheat you out of a legal operating system, who knows what else he cheated you out of. If you paid for a good video card for gaming, did he put in a cheap one or did he even put one it at all? If you paid for 6 or 8 GB of RAM, did he only put in 2 GB? Who knows... I would go over every last bit of the components in this computer or have someone else do it for you. You might try posting a DXDIAG file here and maybe we can help you figure out what he put in this computer.

Before you do anything, try activating the operating system. Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.‌

Should you get stuck, it doesn't matter what he put on - you can just get the 64-bit Windows 7 and install it.
Posted By: Geo

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/05/12 03:50 PM

Hello,
Dont panic. This seems to be a fairly common problem and can be fixed. Type "this is not a genuine copy" into Google and you will see many different fixes the easiest seems to be downloading something called "WAT" and running it.Double check with Jenny to see if she thinks this is ok.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/05/12 04:04 PM

As Geo says, it isn't necessarily fake. I've had Windows 7 claim it was fake after installing MS Office 2007. It can also claim it's fake after a Windows update. The first thing to do is see if it will re-activate. You may have to reboot afterwards.

Activation instructions are at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/activate-windows-7-on-this-computer

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 07:55 AM

I did the DXDIAG and it shows the following"
Windows 7 Home Premun 32 bit 96,1,build 760101
memory 4096bm ram
display ATI Raden HD 4800

I am not sure what all that means but I do know that I did ask for 64 bit and I did not get that. Can I just purchase another OS and install it as well as adding more ram?

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 07:57 AM

lexxy, before you go spending more money, did you try activating your Windows 7? Jenny and I both gave you instructions on how to do it.

Your DXDIAG indicates some older hardware in the ATI Raedon 4800 - what did you order? It also indicates that you did not get what you paid for if you ordered a 64-bit OS...

If all he put in this computer is 4 GB of RAM, then a 64-bit operating system will not gain you anything unless you plan on adding more RAM to the system. Again, what did you order? If you wanted the option to add more RAM later, then a 64-bit operating system will be needed.
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 10:57 AM

That just says she has 32bit windows not necessarily a 32bit machine. I have 32bit windows on a 64bit machine as well.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 11:26 AM

I am ashamed to admit I do not remember just what I order other than to tell him that I wanted a top of the line as far as $1.100 would go. I remember reading about the 32bit vs the 64 bit and I did request that.I did as you instructed to activate and it did not work. I was instructed to go to various sites to see if my if my W7 was fake. I hate spending more money but it sares me and makes me a bit angry to see this little reminder that my os is fake. BTY what is the diff between 32 bit and 64 bit? I am prepared afther the holiday to purchase another system and more ram but I am not sure what ram to purchase. I think thid time I will take it to a guy I used to work with, whom I trust, and have him replace the ram and the new system. I see now wht happens when you use the friend of a friend who can ave you lots of money. Since this is the last system I plan to buy I am going to up grade it as far as I can, if ungrading is possible. I really hate to admit for the world just how gulliable I was but I WAS TAKEN>>>>AGAIN.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 11:35 AM

Here is what I got from the dx read out:
OS Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit 96.1, build 7601 Service pack 1 (7601.wwin7sp1_120930-0333
Processor: Intel(R) core (TM) i7 CPU 920 2.67 GHZ 8 (cpus)~ 2.7 GHZ
Memory: 4096MB ram, avl o/s memory 3062 MB ram
Direct x version Direct x 11

I don't know if this info will help but that is all I saw that made any sense to me.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 11:37 AM

I don't mean not cry and complain too much because I am so happy to be back to gaming again. I can play all of my games but I just hate to think that I trusted someone, again, that proved to be so untrustworthy. Oh well it's onward and upward and GAME ON!!!!

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 11:50 AM

Can you not report him to the police?

That is a 64bit machine by the way

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: lexxy
BTY what is the diff between 32 bit and 64 bit?

64-bit Windows is capable of using more than 4GB of memory. 32-bit is only capable of using between 3.25 and 3.5 GB of system memory. 64-bit Windows is a different operating system from 32-bit, and would need different drivers. 64-bit is immune to some viruses and malware that can infect 32-bit. 32-bit works better with some older games -- anything that uses 16-bit code won't work on 64-bit Windows outside of a virtual machine. But games as old as that would probably work better inside a virtual machine anyway, so this isn't much of an advantage.

You can find information on what to do about the counterfeit Windows 7 here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/faq#

Microsoft also has a website for reporting the fraud
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/cfr/report.aspx

If you decide to stick with 32-bit Windows, there's no sense getting any more RAM.

Quote:
I am prepared afther the holiday to purchase another system and more ram but I am not sure what ram to purchase.

I would get at least 8GB of RAM and a 64-bit system on a new computer. The one you bought is certainly not the best you can get for $1100 these days. However 4GB will probably be OK for current games. The video card is a bit old, but should be OK for adventures. It might be sluggish with some of the new "Darkside" games though.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 04:02 PM

Although the processor is decent, unless this guy put in a monster motherboard, he pocketed a lot of your money for himself, lexxy. Are you sure you don't want to do something here - especially so he doesn't do the same thing to someone else? Small claims court might be an option...
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 05:47 PM

lexxy, if this is a friend of a friend, get in touch with the first friend, and tell them what's been done. Perhaps this first friend can get in touch with their friend or tell you how you can.

I, personally, wouldn't let this rest. Especially since you don't have a valid copy of Win 7 on the system. And because you don't have a valid copy of Win 7 on your system, you may have a valid reason to get law enforcement involved. What this guy has done is to pirate Win 7 onto your new system, and that is a real big no no.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 08:59 PM

lexxy, I totally agree with Homer6. If you gave this guy $1,100, you've been cheated and stolen from.

I'm not trying to make you feel worse, but I just want to illustrate the quality of computer you SHOULD have gotten. This is from ecollegePC. It has a 3rd generation Intel processor - he put in a 1st generation; it has 8 GB of RAM, not 4; it has a very good video card, not an old Raedon 4800; it has a legitimate Windows 7; I don't know what motherboard he used, but this one is a very good board. I could go on, but this only came up to just a little over $1100. This guy used such old hardware that I can't even put something together that is comparable to what he did because most outlets don't even sell them any more. I'd also be VERY curious to see what kind of power supply he used.

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core Stock Intel LGA1155 Heatsink and Fan
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H (Intel Z77, 3xPCI-E, 6xSATA, 4xDDR3)
8GB (4GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand)
24X LG SATA Lightscribe Dual Layer DVD+/-RW DVD-RAM w/Nero
1GB GeForce GTX 650 Ti GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI (Major Brand)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
CoolerMaster Black Storm Scout (5 5.25, 5 3.5) 2 Fans, Audio/USB/eSATA
650watt Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W 80 PLUS CERTIFIED
Onboard LAN included
Onboard Sound included
Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans
3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 11:06 PM

Can you believe that this system's power supply is 850 watts...go figure. I have talked to the local PD and they have informed me that my canceled checks and his lat known address is a
starting point and as you have mentioned they feel that he may have or will do to someone else what he has done to me...I will keep you posted.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/06/12 11:18 PM

Well, at least he put in a big power supply. I'm so glad you at least let the local PD know about this. What he did is fraud...

Did he provide you with all the disks for the computer? There should have been at the very least a driver disk for the motherboard and a disk for your Windows 7. It appears he put on a pirated Windows 7, so I'm sure you don't have that disk. But he definitely should have given you your disks.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/07/12 02:53 AM

I know I said I could play all of my games but alas I spoke too soon. The Black Mirror games will not play on Windows7 and I am finding a few more that will not work. I am not a happy camper with this os and since I have a fake copy installed I was wondering if I could have my ex co-worker install Wxp instead, can that be done? Oh BTW I o have the boxes but since he is a crook there is no telling where he got these boxes.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/07/12 02:59 AM

Visit the Windows 7 and Games thread stickied at the top of the Glitches forum. We have a ton of information about Windows 7 and gaming there. I know a couple of the Black Mirror games wouldn't play, but I think there was a work-around. You might try doing a search in the Glitches forum. I seem to remember Jenny had found a way to get them working. Maybe it was something to do with the copy protection - I can't remember for sure.

You might as well bit the bullet and get used to Windows 7. XP is now in its 12th year and Microsoft will be ceasing support for it in about a year, so it won't be advisable to use it on the internet any more. Windows 7 is much more secure anyway. I'm already running Windows 8.

What boxes are you talking about? Did he give you any disks? You should also have a driver disk for that old video card.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/07/12 04:02 PM

I know I said I could play all of my games but alas I spoke too soon. The Black Mirror games will not play on Windows7 and I am finding a few more that will not work. I am not a happy camper with this os and since I have a fake copy installed I was wondering if I could have my ex co-worker install Wxp instead, can that be done? Oh BTW I o have the boxes but since he is a crook there is no telling where he got these boxes.

The only way to run The Black Mirror under Windows 7 is to install a NoCD patch.

Do a Google search for The Black Mirror NoCD, you'll find it.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/07/12 05:03 PM

I was wondering if I could have my ex co-worker install Wxp instead, can that be done?

It could be done. I'm assuming you have a licensed copy of XP and you're getting someone to install it because you don't know how to install XP and set up all the drivers yourself. Since your computer hardware is old there are probably XP drivers available for all its components. Just remember that Microsoft is scheduled to stop support (Security Updates) for XP in 2014. You'd need to update to Win7 at that time if you want to continue to use the computer on the Internet.

Quote:
Oh BTW I do have the boxes but since he is a crook there is no telling where he got these boxes.

Boxes? Do you mean the boxes for the video card and for Windows 7?

See Inland's post about getting Black Mirror working.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/08/12 05:49 AM

InlandAZ,
Thanks for the info conceernig Black Mirror , I have downloaded the patch and I hope it works. I know I have asked a lot of questions but I have made a decision to keep Windows 7 but my problem is not knowing what software to purchase for my friend to install. I have asked before and I got an educated nswer but I still can't completely wrap my head around the diff between 32 bit and 64 bit. My system is 32bit and I guess I should buy Windows 7 Home Premium, but I have seen the term system builder associated with it and I don't know what it means and further I don't know what mother board is installed. I guess my question is simple do I buy 32 or 64 .

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/08/12 08:16 AM

lexxy, think of the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit this way. How much difference is there between a 2 lane highway and a 4 lane highway? Or between a 4 lane highway and an 8 lane highway? It's all a matter of how much faster can something travel on a 4 lane as opposed to a 2 lane. Or 8 lane opposed to a 4 lane.

The electronic highway in a 64 bit computer is bigger than a 32 bit highway.

This Microsoft link lets you compare the difference between the three Win 7 OS available. I am sorry, though, I can't answer which you should get for your 32 bit computer. Were it me I'd go with the 32 bit version for a 32 bit computer.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/08/12 12:21 PM

Not sure I understand this. Your system *isn't* 32 bit, it is 64 bit. You have the option of putting a 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Windows on it. If you had a 32 bit system you wouldn't have a choice as it wouldn't be able to run the 64bit version.

The "advantage" of 64bit is is has a greater addressing space which means you can have a greater amount of RAM on your machine. On 32 bit Windows the maximum you can have is about 4gigs. I have tried both versions on my 64bit laptop and speed wise I didn't notice much difference.

Note, programs that are written/compiled specifically for 64bit will have larger executable files which is one of the reasons 64bit Windows needs more memory than 32bit.

Generally there really isnt much advantage with 64bit - Microsoft don't even make a 64bit version of Visual Studio, which is the program that most programmers write their programs on.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/08/12 03:09 PM

mj2c,
Are you sure my system is 64bit? I did the dix as was suggested and I got the follow: O/S Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit (6.1, build 7601 Service pack 1 (7601 win7sp1_120830-0333. I don't know what all of those numbers mean but I thought the fact that it said 32bit that is what I have.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/08/12 03:47 PM

It means you've got 32bit Windows installed but your CPU is 64bit and can run either 32bit or 64bit Windows.

Notice where it says instruction set
http://ark.intel.com/products/37147/Intel-Core-i7-920-Processor-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/08/12 04:34 PM

mj2c is correct - what you're looking at is what the guy installed as an operating system. What you need to be looking at is your processor - that Intel Core i7 920. Your processor can run either 32-bit or 64-bit. The advantage of 64-bit is that you can always upgrade your RAM to 8 GB and the operating system will recognize and use it. If you put in a 32-bit operating system, you can put all the RAM in the world in your computer and the operating system will not be able to see it or use it.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/08/12 06:31 PM

Lexxy,
You should try to find out what type of motherboard you have before buying more memory.
It's possible that a utility like CPU-Z can identify your motherboard for you.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

In case you're confused, mainboard and motherboard are the same thing.

You can download CPU-Z directly from here
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.62-setup-en.exe

One thing you should consider is how much longer you're going to keep this computer. If you're going to buy another one in a couple of years, you may not need to upgrade it (beyond getting a valid copy of Windows). It's unlikely that any adventure games will require more than 4GB of system memory in the next two years -- or that they'd need more than a Radeon HD 4800. I'm not so sure about Darkside games though.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/08/12 06:42 PM

Good advice - knowing what motherboard this guy used will help a lot.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/08/12 10:41 PM

Jenny100 ,
That link was very helpful as it showed me what motherbaord this system has. The read out said Manufacturer is ASUSTek,Computer Inc,Model P6t. It had all sorts of info concerning the memory, Bios etc but thank God for all who have helped me make a informed decision and a 64bit is what I will go for now. I don't plan on buying another computer within the next couple of years so this will probably be my swan song. One last silly question to anyone who is still listening to my woes, do I buy a full Windows7 Home Premium as oposed to an up grade. I ask this question because the tech told me he will have to completely reformat my hard drive and do a complete new install as though the fake one never existed. I hope what I said makes sense, After I buy the software I put it in his hands and hope for the best. You people are the best and I thank each and everyone who has come to my aid.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/08/12 11:45 PM

Quote:
I ask this question because the tech told me he will have to completely reformat my hard drive and do a complete new install as though the fake one never existed.

That's not exactly true - If you purchase a copy of Windows (the same version you currently have) all you have to do is change and activate the new Product Code.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 12:15 AM

I'm not sure what tech told you this, but that's not true whether you actually install the new OS or do as Inland says.

I think you should be able to get the OEM version of Windows 7. It runs about $90 - $100 and is a full version which is what you should have gotten in the first place. Technically, the license says the installer will sell the system. But that's what this idiot who built your system should have installed to begin with. So I think you are safely within the license requirements.

That actually wasn't a bad motherboard - 4 years ago. It doesn't have any of the newer technology on it such as USB 3.0 and is an older RAM standard. But then it appears all the components he put in your computer are at least from 2007 - 2008. I just hope they're new and not used.

You said you got some "boxes." I don't know if that means you got some disks? Could you take a look at them and see if there is a Windows 7 disk before you go out and spend more money?

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 03:53 AM

do I buy a full Windows7 Home Premium as opposed to an up grade. I ask this question because the tech told me he will have to completely reformat my hard drive and do a complete new install as though the fake one never existed.

You'll need the full version -- either an OEM (System Builder) version or a retail version because you don't have a valid, licensed copy of Windows on the computer to upgrade.

But according to ***this article at ZDNET***, the OEM version
Quote:
is extremely attractive, because it's significantly less expensive than a full retail license. The installation media works almost exactly like a full retail copy of Windows, except that it can't be used to perform upgrades, only a custom (clean) install. After installation, an OEM copy is essentially indistinguishable from a retail copy.

That may be what your tech is thinking of.

Also, if you have a 32-bit Windows 7 and want 64-bit Windows 7, I think there's a little more to it than just putting in the new product code. If you got a new 32-bit Windows 7, you could probably just put in the product code like Inland says.

Originally Posted By: Draclvr

You said you got some "boxes." I don't know if that means you got some disks? Could you take a look at them and see if there is a Windows 7 disk before you go out and spend more money?

Yes, what are the "boxes" you mentioned?

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 04:00 AM

Good you caught that, Jenny. You're right about the 32-bit vs. the 64-bit. But with the OEM version, it would be simply a matter of inserting the disk and letting it do its thing. I would definitely select Custom installation - this will format and reinstall Windows 7 with a fresh new version. And I believe she will still be within the license requirements for the OEM version as this is exactly what the guy should have done to begin with.

I'd still like to know what's in those "boxes" before lexxy goes out and spends more money.
Posted By: Jema

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 06:55 AM

Questions for the gurus:

Since the guy installed older hardware on the system, before lexxy buys a 64-bit version of Windows 7, shouldn't she first determine if there are 64-bit drivers for that hardware?

In this article Woody Leonhard addresses that question. Scroll down to "Make the move from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win7".

However, since the guy apparently did not install a valid copy of Windows 7, can lexxy still use the Windows 7 Update Advisor?

Also, in another article Leonhard says the upgrade version of Windows 7 can be used for a clean install and gives instructions for doing so. If the upgrade version is substantially less than the OEM and retail full versions, it might be worth looking into.

wave12

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 07:19 AM

Good points all, Jema. The hardware all appears to be roughly from 2008. One of the things 64-bit Windows 7 was really good at was driver support especially compared to previous versions of Windows. All the hardware should be fine with 64-bit Windows 7, but that's also one of the reasons I'm asking her to check to see exactly what is in these "boxes" she mentions.

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 and 64-bit Windows 8 on the computer I built four years ago and there have been no issues at all with my hardware. But it's still good to consider potential issues.

Unfortunately, the upgrade version of Windows 7 is no cheaper that the OEM version which is still her best bet and within the license requirements.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 02:56 PM

She could also use Windows 7 rearm facility which will turn her windows into a valid version for another 30 days while she sorts herself out. I think you get 3 rearms and it's all perfectly legal.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 04:36 PM

I have put off answering the question concerning the boxes due to the fact that I feel like a fool and I don't want you all to laugh at me but the truth of the matter is that due to the fact that I have a small den in which I keep my games ect I had no room for the boxes so ...wait for it... I threw them out w/o looking into them. OK go ahead and say it, she is too dumb to even have a computer. Alright it's out there and I will go into a corner and put on my dunce hat.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 04:49 PM

mj2c, I didn't know about the rearm option. That's good to know.

Lexxy, if they were indeed just boxes, I can understand that perfectly!! Actually, if they were boxes that the components came in that's a good sign that at least they weren't used components. I had asked if he gave you any disks. Hopefully, they weren't inside any of the boxes!

You can always download drivers for your motherboard, the video card etc. No biggie. What you are missing is a Windows 7 disk. But we don't even know if there ever was one to begin with.

So, let's see what the others think because I'm far from an expert. But I would suggest getting an OEM version of 64-bit Windows 7. At least you have the option of adding more RAM in the future - with 32-bit you won't even have the option. All you do is pop the disk in and follow the prompts to do a custom installation of Windows 7. Activate it with the new code and you're good to go. Newegg has it for $100 right now. The retail version (not an OEM system builder) runs about $170. If you go that route, NEVER, EVER throw away that disk or anything that comes with it! Without that activation code, it is only useful as a drink coaster!

OEM Windows 7 at Newegg

Amazon has it for $92.

OEM Windows 7 at Amazon

I also would NOT give up on contacting the initial friend who gave you this guy's name to see if you can't get him to contact you about this issue. If nothing else, the first friend needs to know this guy commited fraud against you.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 05:58 PM

I also would NOT give up on contacting the initial friend who gave you this guy's name to see if you can't get him to contact you about this issue. If nothing else, the first friend needs to know this guy commited fraud against you.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Others need to know what this guy does in order to keep him from doing it again.

Oh, and if someone asks you if you know someone who can build them a computer, make sure you tell them who not to go to.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 07:34 PM

Entering
slmgr -rearm
at the command line (in a command window with Administrative privileges) will not turn your Windows into a registered copy -- it will just give you more time before Windows turns your screen black again with the "Windows not genuine" message. You still have to activate eventually, and an unactivated version of Windows is not considered to be a valid copy of Windows that can be used with Windows upgrade. Although it may be possible to use a Windows upgrade disc to install Windows over an unactivated or counterfeit version of Windows, it's not something you want to ask a tech to do for you because it isn't following Microsoft's rules. It's better just to get the OEM (System builder) version.

So, let's see what the others think because I'm far from an expert.

Draclvr,
If you're not an expert, you're pretty close, and you know more about game-specific problems than many techs who don't play adventure games. Getting the OEM (System builder) version of Windows 7 is probably the best solution since Lexxy doesn't want to get a new computer any time soon.

Lexxy,
At least you have a computer that will be able to play all or most of your recent games (once you get a valid OS on it). That's better than what some people have done -- spent money on a computer with no video card and limited upgrade potential because a salesman assured them it would play their games.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 09:05 PM

I just want to chime in here and say:

Lexxy, please quit beating yourself up and take your dunce hat off. Nobody is laughing at you and nobody thinks you're dumb!

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 10:25 PM

Thanks all for you input. I like the idea of ream but I don't know how to set up an administrative account as I never had to do that with my WXP.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/09/12 11:27 PM

Thanks all for you input. I like the idea of ream but I don't know how to set up an administrative account as I never had to do that with my WXP.

Just open an elevated command prompt -

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories and then right click the Command Prompt. Select Run as Administrator from the menu.

From that point enter the command posted above.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/10/12 02:21 AM

And remember this is just a temporary fix until you get a valid copy of Windows 7 installed. Unless you want to pursue getting this guy to give you the operating system you have already paid for, I would just purchase an OEM version of Windows 7 and install it and be done with it.

And Jenny is correct - you have way more computer than many people who come here having purchased a computer some salesman who knows nothing about games has assured them will work. It may all be 4 year old hardware, but then it will be 4 years since I built my computer too.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/10/12 11:33 AM

Also couldnt she just phone Microsoft and get an activation code from them? I thought I read you could do that in the US (maybe other places as well). Not sure how much it costs though.

And also are you sure the activation code isnt on a sticker somewhere on the machine (like laptops have).

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/10/12 12:47 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64...=I2W7YWLNEH630X

This is the one I have finally decided to buy.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/10/12 03:29 PM

Looks fine, Lexxy.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/10/12 03:35 PM

By the time you try to call Microsoft and go through that rigamarole, you might as well just buy a copy. Since someone built this computer for lexxy, there won't be a sticker on the case unless she put it there. I never put my stickers on my cases either - although I probably should. And since this guy put on a pirated version, there probably isn't a valid number anyway.

That will be fine, lexxy. mj2c has a good suggestion - put the validation code sticker on the case so you will never lose it.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/10/12 03:59 PM

I tried to find a Microsoft site where they're selling product keys, but all I could find was one for Windows 8. The "Shop" link on this site
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Get-a-new-Windows-7-product-key
simply takes you here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy

No mention of Windows 7 that I see.
You'd have to phone them up, like Draclvr says.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/10/12 06:28 PM

Phone number is here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929
Posted By: Donald

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/13/12 11:54 PM

Did you try the phone based activation in Windows 7 ? When you try to activate and it says it cannot click on the Microsoft phone support option and use the automated system. it will ask you to speak or enter with the phone key pad a series of numbers in blocks. When the system accepts these numbers the system will ask you many computers are activated with the key. Always choose 0 and most likely it will allow you to activate windows. I have had to do this when replacing mother boards and processors on both windows 7 and windows 8.
This will take only about 5 min to do

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/22/12 11:39 PM

An update for everyone who has help me through this drama. My tech called me last night and said my computer is fixed and ready for pick up. I wll be back in the gaming mode by Christmas. Just wanted to say thanks to all. christmas

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/22/12 11:56 PM

Thanks for letting us know, Lexxy.
Glad you'll have your computer by Christmas.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/23/12 12:19 AM

Wonderful news, lexxy!

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/23/12 02:39 AM

Good deal, glad you got it resolved - thumbsup12

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/23/12 05:06 AM

That's good to hear, Lexxy. If you would, let us know what the tech did to straighten out your computer.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/30/12 12:35 PM

Sorry that it took me so long to get back, holiday madness you know, but actually all he did was install a legit copy of Windows 7 and presto I am back in business. Once again I can't thank one and all for your advice and support.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/30/12 03:36 PM

That's good to hear, lexxy!

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/31/12 06:05 AM

That's real good to hear Lexxy. I hope you gave him an earful about the first guy. Be nice if enough people know he isn't to be trusted building computers.

Re: Fake Windows7 software - 12/31/12 06:33 AM

Amen to that, Homer6!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community