GB HOMEPAGE

GOG - saving games on CD

Posted By: Newgames

GOG - saving games on CD - 12/05/12 07:02 PM

I have bought games on GOG and would like to copy them to a CD (only have DVD read) but not enough space on one CD. What file names go on one CD and connect to the second CD ? The one game is Post Mortem.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: GOG - saving games on CD - 12/05/12 11:16 PM

The Setup file for Post Mortem is about 940 MB in size, which is too large to fit on a CDR. You can try using a File Splitter utility to split it in two so it will fit on 2 CDR's.

But since most games from GOG have individual files that are too large for a CDR, why don't you buy a DVD writer? You can get one that plugs into a USB port and you won't even have to take your computer apart to install it. Maybe one of these, which are about $30 each.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151254

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136251

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151238

You can also find them at ***Amazon***.
Posted By: Mad

Re: GOG - saving games on CD - 12/05/12 11:30 PM

I recently downloaded "The Dark Eye - Chains of Satinav" from GOG and when I came to burn it to disk I had to use two DVDs !!

So I just put half the files on one and half on the other and it worked fine when I installed it thumbsup12

I was surprised though as I've never had to use two DVDs before whistle

Re: GOG - saving games on CD - 12/06/12 12:42 AM

I should have checked before suggesting an external DVD writer -- your computer's USB ports should be at least USB 2.0. If you've only got USB 1.0 or 1.1, burning a disc would be V-E-R-Y slow.

Re: GOG - saving games on CD - 12/06/12 03:34 AM

I tried a external DVD writer and it was slow.

I will try the to write half of the files on one CD and half on the other CD - see if it works.

My only other idea was a flash drive.

Thanks for the ideas.

OR

Can you swap out the
internal CD read&write/DVD read drive
for a
internal CD/DVD read/write drive instead??
plug and play?

I have a XP - 32 bit computer
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: GOG - saving games on CD - 12/06/12 06:50 AM

Generally you can. It is simply a matter of pulling out the old drive and inserting the new. More often than not you don't have to do any set up. Windows Xp as a rule will recognize it and install basic drivers at startup. You will need to know the type of drive your motherboard is geared for. The most common type including since the advent of XP is the SATA drive. They run as cheap as $20 and will write and play both cd and dvd.

It is plug an play. Often you can simply unplug the wires from the drive in your machine and attach them to the new drive. The last one I bought is a light scribe compatible it was $21 a year ago still using it.

Re: GOG - saving games on CD - 12/06/12 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Newgames
I tried a external DVD writer and it was slow.

I will try the to write half of the files on one CD and half on the other CD - see if it works.

The 940GB setup file will be too large for a CDR.

Quote:
My only other idea was a flash drive.

If you only have USB 1.1, that will be slow too.

Note that some older computers have faster USB ports in the back of the computer.

Quote:
Can you swap out the
internal CD read&write/DVD read drive
for a
internal CD/DVD read/write drive instead??
plug and play?

Yes.

Re: GOG - saving games on CD - 12/07/12 05:15 AM

Thank you for all the help everyone.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community