GB HOMEPAGE

Anti-virus software

Posted By: petert

Anti-virus software - 12/17/12 05:02 PM

Not really a glitch, but this is probably the most appropraite forum in which to air my point.

I recently bought a laptop from a well-known store in the UK, and was told by the salesman that if I used internet banking, and somebody hacked into my bank account and stole money, the bank would not refund the money if I only had a free antivirus. The aim was for him to sell me Norton.
I declined the offer, but he persisted.
I then asked a friend of mine who is fairly high up in a bank, and asked him if there was any truth in this tale. He assured me that is not a shred of truth in this scam.
I returned to the store and spoke to the salesman, who reiterated his tale, saying that 'we are all taught this during Company training'.
Has anyone else met this strange situation?

petert
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Anti-virus software - 12/17/12 05:18 PM

Can't say I've ever heard that one either. A hacker doesn't need your PC to access you account.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Anti-virus software - 12/17/12 05:45 PM

It appears to me their "company training" needs a dose of facts. As Inland says, a hacker doesn't need your PC to access your account. It's actually a pretty stupid statement.
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Anti-virus software - 12/17/12 05:47 PM

That's a nice scam that company has going. And it would be the last time I bought from that company.

Your bank, or any other bank for that matter, could give a hoot whether you used a free anti-virus or a paid anti-virus on your personal computer(s). How would they know in the first place? They don't monitor your computer(s) and I have yet filled out any bank information that asks about applications on my home computer(s).

It's sad a business has to lie to its customers in order to try and make a sale. It's also sad when this same business has to close its doors, putting everyone out of work, when enough people catch on to this deceptive practice and cause sales to really drop by shopping elsewhere.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community