GB HOMEPAGE

Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year

Posted By: Donald

Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/23/12 09:45 PM

Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141...dows-every-year
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/23/12 09:58 PM

Someone at Microsoft needs their head examined.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/23/12 10:07 PM

I read the same thing elsewhere - they are moving to the Apple model of releasing major OS updates once a year to keep up with the rest of the market. The old standard of releasing an OS every 3 - 5 years will leave them in the dust is the reasoning. Not sure if all of this is for the best, but it will definitely be interesting.
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/24/12 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Someone at Microsoft needs their head examined.

Probably too busy drinking that "special" kool-aid to have their heads examined .

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/24/12 02:44 AM

Good one, CD!
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/24/12 05:47 AM

Is this going to be a nightmare for third party developers or what? Does MS really believe people upgrade their OS every year to make something like this viable? Dumb, simply dumb.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/24/12 06:08 AM

I'll never cope - with either affording or managing to run anything like that thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/24/12 01:15 PM

Most people won't upgrade when when it's a release every 3 years so I hardly think they will do it every year. These sound like service packs under another name.

Having said that theyve decided to release Visual Studio updates at regular intervals (cant remember if it's 6 or 9 months) and these include major feature additions and not just bug fixes, although, these updates are free.

There will still be new major version releases of VS every 3 years or so. Maybe that's what the idea is with W8 but the journo decided to be a bit more melodramatic
Posted By: misslilo

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/24/12 02:51 PM

Meesa thinks meesa will stick to Win7 for a looong time laugh

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/24/12 03:05 PM

I think mj2c is right in that they are going to be upgrades to the existing OS like Apple does instead of an entirely new OS. However, I wonder what the enterprise is going to think of this. I understand the idea of keeping up with technology which moves at the speed of sound, but this seems like they are moving away what people are comfortable with. And large companies constantly having to do these upgrades? Not gonna happen.
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 12/25/12 06:43 AM

So true Drac. If upgrading their computers hits corporations in the wallet every year, they'll switch to something that doesn't require expense in this area every year.

In my experience, computer upgrades are on a several year schedule. And unless one craters, nothing gets changed until it's time on the schedule.
Posted By: dianne

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 01/01/13 08:51 PM

oh boy cheers to jenny Microsoft sure will need their heads examined windows 8 is confusing enough already. dianne
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year - 01/02/13 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: dianne
oh boy cheers to jenny Microsoft sure will need their heads examined windows 8 is confusing enough already. dianne

I would agree .
© 2024 GameBoomers Community