GB HOMEPAGE

The Longest Journey and Windows 7

Posted By: Penny Lane

The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 07:26 PM

?The Longest Journey will not play on my windows 7. Does anybody know if there is an upgrade available?
Posted By: Rushes

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 07:31 PM

Hi Penny,

Have you tried it in compatibility mode? Which version are you playing -- the original multi-disc, or a more recent version? It should (in theory) work with Win7, as I replayed the original fairly recently on my own system. I'll move this thread across to Glitches in the meantime for more expert advice.

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 07:42 PM

My game has 2 disks. There is also an installation for directx 7. Should I install that too? I will try the compatabilty mode and see what happens. Thanks!

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 07:52 PM

I am trying to run it in the windows 7 mode but all I get is a black screen. It started out as Please Wait................ but then went black.

After a few minutes the menu page came up but froze then stopped altogether.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 08:14 PM

There are a number of patches for the game, download and apply the latest from the link below - (1.61 2 CD edition)

The Longest Journey Game Patches

After that, disable 3D Characters in the games configuration menu.
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 08:27 PM

Hi
I don't see a patch for the DVD version there. Doe's anyone know if the dvd version works on Win 7 32 or 64 bit ?

Cathy

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Cathy1
Hi
I don't see a patch for the DVD version there. Doe's anyone know if the dvd version works on Win 7 32 or 64 bit ?

Cathy

It is there - TLJ 2 CD/DVD edition

I've not played it on a 64 bit edition of Windows 7, but so long as there's no 16 bit code, it should play just fine.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 08:34 PM

I think the patch for the DVD version is the same as the patch for the 2 CD version. According to the info on ***this archived page***, the links point to the same download (patch 1.61).

The Patches-Scrolls page Inland linked to actually has a link to
"Download patch 1.61 (2CD/DVD edition)"

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 08:36 PM

I installed the patch but I still get a blank screen. It looked like that it was going to play then froze. Well, I'll just hook up my old computer and play it on there. Thanks anyway! thanks

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 08:39 PM

Are you starting it from the desktop icon (launcher)? If so, some had issues running the game from it.

Locate the game in the install folder and run it directly from there.

If have the game somewhere, let me see if I can find it for you. I'm running a 64 bit edition of 7 this month smile

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 09:03 PM

Ok, I started it from the installer folder .The menu and the opening scene came up but it keeps freezing. I give up! LOL Thanks for your help!
Posted By: Rushes

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 09:13 PM

What virus protection are you using, Penny? I found that I could never get this game working when I had McAfee, even when I tried switching the darned thing off altogether. When I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials, everything was hunky dory. You might want to try turning off your virus software while playing this game, see if that helps. luck

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 09:13 PM

I would still like to know Inland.
Cathy

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Penny Lane
Ok, I started it from the installer folder .The menu and the opening scene came up but it keeps freezing. I give up! LOL Thanks for your help!

I just reinstalled the game to the default folder, and all I had to do was set the compatibility mode (of Launcher.exe) to Windows XP SP3.

Originally Posted By: Cathy1
I would still like to know Inland.
Cathy

If you're asking if it plays, yes it is playing fine so far.

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 09:23 PM

Rushes, I have Microsoft Security Essentials and I went into my settings and excluded the game . Well, that didn't work! I am afraid to turn it off because I am online 24/7 with cable internet. Disabling it would be dangerous wouldn't it?
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 09:30 PM

Penny Lane, have you tried setting the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3 as Inland suggests?

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 09:35 PM

Thank you all.

Cathy

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Penny Lane
Rushes, I have Microsoft Security Essentials and I went into my settings and excluded the game. Well, that didn't work!

I don't think Microsoft Security Essentials is the problem. It generally doesn't interfere with games, so turning it off wouldn't make any difference. Have you tried setting the compatibility mode of the game Launcher as Inland and Draclvr suggested?

Do you know how to locate the game Launcher? It should be in the game folder. If you don't know where the game is installed, right-click the game shortcut, choose Properties, choose Shortcut tab and you should be able to tell from that where to look for the launcher. Right-click the launcher, choose Properties, choose the Compatibility tab, and set compatibility to XP SP3.

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
Penny Lane, have you tried setting the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3 as Inland suggests?

I will try that! Well the menu page came up after a long wait but I still get "Not responding" after that. It just stalls! I'm getting a headache! I'll stop for today. Thanks everyone! thanks

Re: The Longest Journey and Windows 7 - 01/21/13 10:22 PM

What about starting the game directly from the Game.exe file instead of from the launcher?
© 2024 GameBoomers Community