GB HOMEPAGE

A New Beginning: cannot save

Posted By: macmac

A New Beginning: cannot save - 02/13/13 11:24 PM

I'm near the end of Chapter 5 in "A New Beginning" and find that I can no longer save. There appears to be unlimited save slots but clicking on an empty slot has no effect, nor does overwriting an existing save. I can get back into the game by clicking "return to game", but cannot save. Anyone have an idea?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: A New Beginning: cannot save - 02/14/13 02:25 AM

Are you using an antivirus that might be blocking the game from saving?

Have you tried starting the game by right-clicking the shortcut and choosing to "Run As Administrator?"

Re: A New Beginning: cannot save - 02/14/13 05:54 AM

Thanks Jen. It doesnt seem as though it would be an antivirus problem as I have been able to save with no problem before I reached this point, near the end of chapter 5. Nor does it seem to be a question of running as administrator, as I have no problem starting and playing the game. However I turned off antivirus and ran as administrator----no change.
Posted By: mj2c

Re: A New Beginning: cannot save - 02/14/13 02:48 PM

You would be able to start and play the game without administrator - the reason you would try it is if the game tried to save the game to a location that it shouldnt (at least on Vista and above) then running 'with' administrator would allow it to, whereas running without would prevent it from saving.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: A New Beginning: cannot save - 02/14/13 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: macmac
Nor does it seem to be a question of running as administrator, as I have no problem starting and playing the game.

If the game is making a change in the registry or in a "protected" part of Windows when it saves, then running as administrator is worth a try. I've had several games play fine -- until I tried to save -- then nothing, and I lost all my progress. The solution was to Run as an Administrator.

But that doesn't seem to be your problem.

Are you able to start a New Game and save?

Is it possible the game just doesn't allow saving at the point where you're trying to save? Or have you tried saving a bit further along?

Have you tried checking to make sure your save slots haven't mysteriously been changed to "read only?"

Re: A New Beginning: cannot save - 02/14/13 11:48 PM

Well, I think you have led me to the problem but Im not sure how to fix....I went to check if the save files were "read only" and discovered that I no longer have a save file. GOG installs the game directly on C/. I remember now that I was doing some "spring cleaning" on my C/ drive and I probably smoked the save files. No real problem, the game lets me "continue the game" and I can live without saving as Im near the end. Thanks!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community