GB HOMEPAGE

Page File, Virtual Memory, System Cache in WinXP

Posted By: GreyFuss

Page File, Virtual Memory, System Cache in WinXP - 02/24/13 11:48 PM

Please forgive me but I need to ask for help again and this is because I just can't remember some tech tips as I am not always tweeking computers. I have been setting up a computer for my Grandson (see Graphic Card thread) I seem to remember there was a way to optimize Windows XP by setting the System cache, Virtual memory or Page File size (don't remember which)to certain values but can't recall exactly what that was or even if I am right. Was there something to this or am I just crazy?
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Page File, Virtual Memory, System Cache in WinXP - 02/25/13 12:15 AM

Yes, you're just crazy, GreyFuss! grin

Sorry, I couldn't resist! This page tells you how to set the paging file size and there are some other links on managing the performance options in XP.

Changing Paging FIle Size
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Page File, Virtual Memory, System Cache in WinXP - 02/25/13 12:26 AM

Thanks Tomato Queen

I think you are right about the crazy crazy

Thank you for the link. So the optimum page file size is 1.5 times the actual physical memory (RAM) So should the "Initial Size MB" and the "Maximum Size MB" be set to the same number? For example if there is 2000mb (2GB) of physical RAM then both should be set at 3000mb (3GB)?
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Page File, Virtual Memory, System Cache in WinXP - 02/25/13 01:12 AM

You should see a setting that states: System Managed Size - that's what I've always used.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Page File, Virtual Memory, System Cache in WinXP - 02/25/13 12:32 PM

Thanks for the link Draclvr. I learned a lot!
Posted By: Mad

Re: Page File, Virtual Memory, System Cache in WinXP - 02/25/13 01:35 PM

Hi to you Tomato Queen !!!! tomato Hehehe !!!!
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Page File, Virtual Memory, System Cache in WinXP - 02/25/13 01:44 PM

That's me! I just ordered right at $95 of tomato and pepper seeds to be started in my sunporch in a few weeks!
Posted By: Mad

Re: Page File, Virtual Memory, System Cache in WinXP - 02/25/13 02:49 PM

Wonderful !!!! thumbsup
© 2024 GameBoomers Community