GB HOMEPAGE

Newer Syberia release on Steam ?

Posted By: michele rose

Newer Syberia release on Steam ? - 03/05/13 09:26 PM

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the graphics, installation etc. of the 2011 release of Syberia vs. the originals (2002/2004 disc release versions).
Steam is offering this 2011 Syberia I/II bundle for $ 3.74 til March 11th.
Posted By: Smiley456

Re: Newer Syberia release on Steam ? - 03/05/13 09:47 PM

If it's the same bundle that I have (the DVD bundle), then it's no difference in graphics. Installation is annoying however. First you have to install Anuman Interactive's program and from there you finally get to install the Syberia games (might be different on the Steam version). Otherwise the only update is that it works on Windows 7.

Re: Newer Syberia release on Steam ? - 03/05/13 10:58 PM

Hi Smiley456,
Are you saying that my original discs(2002/2004) will not work on Windows 7 ? I guess I could install and find out - I just didn't want any hassles and thought there might be some enhancements graphically to the steam version.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Newer Syberia release on Steam ? - 03/05/13 11:31 PM

If you check out the Windows 7 and Games thread stickied at the top of the Glitches forum, both Syberia games are listed as playable with no problems on 64-bit Windows 7. The good news is that they are also playable on Windows 8!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Newer Syberia release on Steam ? - 03/06/13 01:47 AM

There are no graphical enhancements to any reissued versions of Syberia. However there was a patch for the original 2002 version of the game that prevented a slowdown caused by the game not being made for computers with dual processors or hyperthreading. Playing in compatibility mode got rid of the need for the patch.

Any reissued version of Syberia is already patched, and Syberia 2 never had the problem.

Instead of buying from Steam or Anuman, I'd recommend getting the Syberia games from GOG or DotEMU, which don't have any fussy DRM added onto them.

At GOG the Syberia games are $9.99 each, or $16.98 for both Syberia 1 and 2.
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/syberia

At DotEMU, both Syberia games together are $14.99.
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/568/syberia-pack

Re: Newer Syberia release on Steam ? - 03/06/13 03:01 AM

Thanks Draclv for directing me to the compatability games thread (what a super reference).
And thanks, Jenny100 for the added info and recommendations.
Much appreciated!!!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Newer Syberia release on Steam ? - 03/06/13 03:30 AM

You're welcome.
We're glad to help.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community