GB HOMEPAGE

Laptop graphics card?

Posted By: ritchiesbabe

Laptop graphics card? - 03/06/13 03:35 AM

Will this play newish adventures or not? Advice needed please don't want to purchase pig in a poke

On-board graphics adapter model Intel HD Graphics 3000
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Laptop graphics card? - 03/06/13 03:39 AM

No. Definitely not.
You don't want Intel graphics for adventure games -- especially newish ones.

Look for a laptop with a mid-range Nvidia or ATI chipset.

Intel graphics typically don't have any memory of their own -- they "borrow" system memory from the rest of the computer (which is slower). Also Intel graphics are more apt to have driver incompatibilities with games because developers are less apt to test with them (except for casual game developers). Intel graphics are made for desktop applications (MS Word, etc.) and long battery life -- not games.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Laptop graphics card? - 03/06/13 03:51 AM

Exactly what Jenny said. This sounds like it is a decent Core i5 processor with the graphics built in to the processor itself. It is probably a second generation Core i5 and not a third generation. They are wonderful for movies and email and Youtube, but not for games, especially newish ones. So the processor is fine, but the embedded graphics, not so much.

I would look for something better - look for one with a graphics card with discrete memory. It will probably cost more though.

Re: Laptop graphics card? - 03/06/13 04:03 AM

I thought this myself my brother stupidly said it should play them I knew you guys would know best. Everything else about it is ok and it's £299 but if it won't play games its useless to me it would be awful if I couldn't get on new broken sword. I will look for others and ask your advice.

Re: Laptop graphics card? - 03/06/13 04:04 AM

Maybe have to spend at least another £100
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Laptop graphics card? - 03/06/13 05:14 AM

Or probably more...
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Laptop graphics card? - 03/07/13 12:38 PM

I would say definately more, especially here in the UK where we don't get as good a bang for our quid as you do in america.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Laptop graphics card? - 03/07/13 08:03 PM

Too true !! shocked
© 2024 GameBoomers Community