GB HOMEPAGE

skyrim windows 8

Posted By: oldman

skyrim windows 8 - 03/19/13 09:02 AM

Hi all,

Well I just loaded up Skyrim again on my new Windows 8 system and some weird things are happening.

It was a new computer so, since I had the disc version (which still connects to Steam) I installed the Skyrim again. OK steam took forever to install it I assume because it was downloading the 2 DLC's that I had. When it finally got installed all my old saves were listed but none of my mods and the game said that my saves were missing some things (which I assume were the mods).

I tried my best to redo the mods and when I started a new game it worked fine. However I wanted to delete my old saves. I tried to do it in the game and they would be reinstated every time I started again. I went in to steam and found that the Cloud steam option was disabled but I turned it on and off again.

Then I figured that I'd just go to the save folder and delete them manually. I can't find the save folder. In windows 7 it was in C/user/myname/documents/skyrim/saves. In windows 8 there is no save file in that folder and I think the folder was from my old document folder that copied from my old computer.

Anyway if anyone is playing or has played Skyrim on windows 8 do you know where the save game files are stored?

All I can find on the internet is windows 7 info and nothing on Win 8.
Posted By: lanlynk

Re: skyrim windows 8 - 03/19/13 11:26 AM

Oldman, you said you looked for the saves in a folder copied from your old computer: documents/skyrim/saves. But my saves are found in My Documents/My Games/Skyrim/saves.

I'm running Windows 7, but I think that is the default location for Windows 8 as well. Do you have a My Games folder in Documents?
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: skyrim windows 8 - 03/19/13 07:36 PM

Thanks Lanlynk wave

Did you find 'em Oldman?

Re: skyrim windows 8 - 03/19/13 10:39 PM

Actually that's the first place I looked for them. In Skyrim using win 8 I have saves but the location is yet to be determined lol.

It is a mystery. I haven't played that far in the new Skyrim I just started but I can't find a folder to delete the old saves which are now worthless.

I was just wondering if maybe win 8 puts them in a hidden folder somewhere like some games used to.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: skyrim windows 8 - 03/19/13 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: oldman
I was just wondering if maybe win 8 puts them in a hidden folder somewhere like some games used to.

It's possible. Do you have viewing of hidden files and folders enabled? Here are a couple of websites telling to do it in Windows 8.

http://www.windows8free.org/unhide-hidden-system-folders-like-appdata/
or
http://windows7themes.net/access-appdata-in-windows-8-a-hidden-system-folder-level-easy.html

You might also look in the Windows 8 version of the Roaming folder, which is inside the hidden %AppData% folder. The location for Windows 8 is

C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Local\Packages\*Package Number*\RoamingState

Re: skyrim windows 8 - 03/20/13 12:02 AM

Thank you Jenny. For some reason they were hidden in my Skyrim folder. I checked the show hidden folders and they all appeared. Problem solved.

Really appreciate the info.

Re: skyrim windows 8 - 03/20/13 12:05 AM

Strange that they were made hidden, though the game folder is a sensible place to put them.
Enjoy the game.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: skyrim windows 8 - 03/20/13 01:52 AM

I keep waiting for some kind of logic behind where some of these games saves go to reveal itself to me... I'll probably be waiting for a very long time.

Re: skyrim windows 8 - 03/20/13 03:03 AM

And why make saves hidden?
They're not critical system files.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: skyrim windows 8 - 03/20/13 04:14 AM

Indeed...
Posted By: lanlynk

Re: skyrim windows 8 - 03/20/13 09:59 PM

Wow, it didn't even occur to me that Windows would hide game saves. One of the first things I do with a new OS is check the Show Hidden Folders option. Here's just another reason to do that! The programmers really don't trust us, do they? Wonder why? smashpc LOL
© 2024 GameBoomers Community