GB HOMEPAGE

DLL error message

Posted By: petjo

DLL error message - 04/12/13 09:20 AM

This is not a gaming issue so please tell me if I am out of order raising it here.

Whenever I start my computer , I get the following message and despite all attempts to competely erase it , it still comes up.
I wonder if , with the wealth of knowledge in the community , someone can come up with an answer.--
""There was a problem starting
c:\users\myhome~1\wgsdgsdgdsgsd.dll
the specified module could not be found""

regards -- Petjo
Posted By: MaG

Re: DLL error message - 04/12/13 03:10 PM

Hi Petjo,

I'll move to Glitches anyways. The experts there can give you their expertise. luck
Posted By: mj2c

Re: DLL error message - 04/12/13 03:30 PM

Run a scanner because my money is on that not being a legit .dll, which suggests youve got something on your computer that shouldnt be there that is trying to load that library.
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: DLL error message - 04/12/13 03:30 PM

petjo,

Some program was removed from your computer incompletely and it is still trying to start. There are several ways to completely remove the residuals but most require a good understanding of how your operating system works.

The simplest way to attempt to see what is trying to run is to use msconfig and look at the Startup panel. If this does not ring any bells with you, let us know and also specify your operating system. Someone will give you detailed instructions.
Posted By: Marian

Re: DLL error message - 04/12/13 03:57 PM

I googled this error message and it was suggested that this message could possibly be a residual of some malware present on your computer. My recommendation would be to first run a thorough scan with Malwarebytes to ensure that your system is clean. wave
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: DLL error message - 04/12/13 03:57 PM

All the threads I found concerning that specific dll returned virus warnings - you're probably going to want to run an A/V check.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: DLL error message - 04/12/13 04:03 PM

One of the links I found says it's a registry entry left over from removing malware, and suggested Ccleaner to remove the registry entry.

So the malware may already be gone, but some of what it did is left behind.

I'd still run a malware checker to make sure it's gone.

Re: DLL error message - 04/13/13 08:22 AM

Thanks to you all for your advice -- I will act accordingly and let you know how I get on--regards - Petjo

Re: DLL error message - 04/14/13 08:37 AM

I ran a scan several times and each time my a/v picked it up as a virus and destroyed it -- however , it still comes back when I turn on'

Would it help if I transferred all "MY Home" files into a new folder with a new name , and then deleted the original "MY HOME" folder???

Or am I being stupid in my old age??
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: DLL error message - 04/14/13 01:41 PM

petjo,

Your a/v program may not be adequate for the job. You could try another a/v or use a separate program to clean your system. For example, Microsoft frequently offers a special program to remove resistant viruses as part of the monthly updates.

You don't want to do major changes to your system as you will probably not catch the virus without specific removal instructions.
You could search for wgsdgsdgdsgsd.dll with Google looking for specific removal instructions.

Robert

PS I did find specific removal instructions at
http://virus-com.com/viruscom/viruscom_150484.html
Quite complicated for a novice.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: DLL error message - 04/14/13 02:32 PM

petjo, as Robert Gault says, do not do anything like you've suggested. This "leftover" from the virus could be infecting your MBR (master boot record) and is respawning on reboot.

What anti-virus are you using? Have you run Malwarebytes? Have you done like Jenny suggested and run CCleaner on the registry?

Re: DLL error message - 04/14/13 03:40 PM

Here's another site telling how to remove the wgsdgsdgdsgsd.dll malware, which they call the "Packus Trojan."
http://www.exterminate-it.com/malpedia/remove-packus

From what they say, it usually infects through your web browser.

According to information posted at ***this Microsoft forum***, it's a type of ransomware and the Microsoft Safety Scanner got rid of it for them.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
That post was from last year, and the trojan may have "evolved" to evade the Microsoft Safety Scanner, but it's worth a try.

Like Draclvr, I'm curious to know which antivirus you're using -- also whether it has browsing protection that's supposed to prevent this type of thing.

Re: DLL error message - 04/15/13 08:52 AM

Thanks to you all once again for your continued interest.---I have been using AVG anti virus which , as i say , has picked it up but not elimated completely.
I will now go all through the excellent advice you have given me and see if I can conquer the problem --many regards --Petjo

----------------------------
April 15, 2013 07:35 AM
----------------------------

"Eureka"--Once again the excellent community has come to my rescue and I am rid of the insidious Dll message. I tried the most obvious one first (I suppose I should of thought of it myself)--that is -- Microsoft safety scanner --(Thank you Jenny) and it seems to have done the trick.-many many thanks --- regards ---Petjo
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: DLL error message - 04/15/13 02:52 PM

Good for you! I found a post from someone at a Microsoft website that said the Microsoft Safety Scanner got rid of it for them too. A good thing to remember just in case!

Re: DLL error message - 04/15/13 03:01 PM

Good for the Microsoft Safety Scanner.
Hopefully the malware is gone now.
Posted By: Homer6

Re: DLL error message - 04/17/13 06:06 AM

It's always good to have more than one eliminator on hand, just in case.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community