GB HOMEPAGE

A non-gaming computer irritation

Posted By: The Haze

A non-gaming computer irritation - 04/24/13 03:07 AM

I'm running Windows 7 and my email/internet is from AOL. I am suddenly getting dozens of notices that Emails I've sent are being returned for various reasons. This has been going on for a few days. The point is I did NOT send any of them. They don't appear in my "Sent" file. My security 'stuff' finds nothing when I scan it.

Could this be a serious problem or will it remain just an irritation?
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: A non-gaming computer irritation - 04/24/13 03:17 AM

It sounds like your e-mail got hacked. Try changing your password see if that makes a difference. If a hacker got in changing pw should put a stop to it.

Re: A non-gaming computer irritation - 04/24/13 03:27 AM

I did that this afternoon, and got three more notices after. Is there a long time lag on these notices?
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: A non-gaming computer irritation - 04/24/13 03:53 AM

You may need to change your password more than once.
Posted By: Homer6

Re: A non-gaming computer irritation - 04/24/13 06:08 AM

It's a Phishing expedition. More than likely, if they're like the ones I've received, they give you an address to click on to obtain more information why your "e-mails" were returned. DON'T CLICK ON THOSE LINKS! Delete the e-mails, and if you can, put the from addresses on a black list.

This was something I went through some time ago and did just like you, checked my sent box. When I realized I hadn't sent an e-mail to that address, and that they wanted me to click on a link to obtain more information, the light went on and the e-mails were deleted.

Re: A non-gaming computer irritation - 04/24/13 08:35 PM

smile I had followed oldmariner's advice and changed my password. Have received no "Not sent" notices today. Thanks too to Homer6. I almost clicked on one of those things but read your comment in time to save myslef further difficulties. I appreciate the help.
Posted By: Homer6

Re: A non-gaming computer irritation - 04/25/13 06:06 AM

Glad you seem to have the problem under control.

Any time I receive an unsolicited e-mail that's wanting me to click on a link, I'm always leery. I got bit once and it was a pain to clean up the garbage that installed itself before I realized what had happened.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community