GB HOMEPAGE

Failed Computer Update Question

Posted By: gatsbygirl

Failed Computer Update Question - 04/24/13 04:27 PM

My Dell computer does automatic updates regularly and I have noticed I have the same "failed" updates every time. I have tried to use the help box with the "fix it" link but it doesn't seem to do anything.I am wondering if having these updates fail will harm my PC. Some of them say that the update is "important" so I am concerned.

Here are the updates that fail every time:

Windows Internet Explorer Update for Windows 7 x64 based systems

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 & 2010 Service Pack

Security update for Microsoft NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7

Thanks!
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Failed Computer Update Question - 04/24/13 05:56 PM

gatsbygirl... what operating system are you running... XP or Windows 7... 32 or 64bit??
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Failed Computer Update Question - 04/25/13 02:12 AM

I'll assume you have Windows 7 since two of the updates say they're for Windows 7.

Have you tried clearing out temporary files before attempting to install the updates?

If that doesn't work, look for manual downloads of the updates by looking up the KB number. When you run Windows Update, it gives you the KB number of your updates (click the Start button, type the letters
upd
in the Start Search and Windows Update should be listed. You can type out the word update, but just the first three letters will usually find it).

If you do a Google or Bing search for

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 & 2010 Service Pack

you can find an update which is KB2538242, but there may be a different update with a different KB number but the same name, and that may not be the one you need (it's dated June 7, 2011 so it's old). So it's better to go by the KB number that Windows Update gives you.
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Failed Computer Update Question - 04/25/13 06:00 AM

It could also be a security program Dell installed blocking the installation.
Posted By: kazzmo

Re: Failed Computer Update Question - 04/25/13 08:05 PM

I have this problem with Windows Vista and have not been able to manually install the failed updates. I am afraid to poke around too much, afraid I will mess up my computer.

Re: Failed Computer Update Question - 04/26/13 09:59 PM

Winfrey,

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

Re: Failed Computer Update Question - 04/26/13 10:02 PM

Kazzmo,

I have also tried to do it manually by going to the Microsoft site and updating but it hasn't worked. I am afraid to poke around too much too for fear of really messing something up.

Re: Failed Computer Update Question - 04/26/13 10:04 PM

Thanks Jenny 100! I will try to do what you suggest and see if it helps.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Failed Computer Update Question - 04/26/13 11:02 PM

Good luck.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community