GB HOMEPAGE

screen too large

Posted By: Beerhead

screen too large - 04/26/13 11:52 PM

Testament of Sherlock downloaded perfectly,however,the screen is too large,can't see the bottom of the screen.How can I make it smaller.I tried changing the resolution,but still large.Also,I don't get the mouse control.Help please
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 12:07 AM

If you have a widescreen monitor, have you set the resolution in the game to a widescreen aspect ratio?

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 12:26 AM

I have a 20 inch monitor.I don't know how to set it .What is aspect ratio?

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 01:01 AM

20" doesn't tell me the aspect ratio, only the diagonal measurement of the screen.

If you have a widescreen monitor, but set your game to a non-widescreen aspect ratio (like 1024x768 or 1280x1024), the monitor will probably do one of the following:
  • chop off the top and bottom of the image
  • shrink the entire image and show black bars at the sides
  • stretch the image sideways, making everything look fat
  • show a useless black screen

So make sure you set the game to use an aspect ratio that is compatible with the aspect ratio of your monitor. If you have a widescreen monitor, you do NOT want 1024x768 or 1280x1024 or 800x600, which are all full screen and not widescreen.

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 01:26 AM

How do I set the game compatable to aspect ratio.I don't even know what that is?Please be patient Jenny.
Posted By: lanlynk

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 01:55 AM

Maybe you've got the controls set to first person using a control pad rather than third person, which uses the mouse--since you say you have no mouse controls. Have you double checked that?

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 02:08 AM

Lanlynk,you helped me with this game,thank you.My problem is the the bottom of the screen is cut off,tried different resolutions to no avail.Game controls don't show option for mouse.I think if I can shrink the screen I can play.Also I don't have the subtitles.

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Beerhead
How do I set the game compatable to aspect ratio.

By setting it to play in a compatible resolution -- if you have a widescreen monitor, use a widescreen resolution.

Quote:
I don't even know what that is?

This video explains aspect ratio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R-MWZvfXbU
His explanation is oriented more towards displaying movies on TV screen's than games. But the same problems happen with 4:3 aspect ratio in games on a 16:9 widescreen computer monitor as happen with old movies like Casablanca (unless they've been cropped) on a new widescreen TV.

Are you changing the resolution from the options menu of the game, or are changing the desktop resolution? Desktop resolution should usually be set at maximum.

What video card do you have?

Does your monitor have any settings that allow you to adjust how the picture is displayed?

Quote:
Also I don't have the subtitles.

If you set the game to display subtitles and you're missing the bottom of the screen, they're probably off the bottom of the screen.
Posted By: lanlynk

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 03:34 AM

This certainly sounds like a resolution issue as far as the cut-off at the bottom. Once you get that fixed, you can double check to see if you have the mouse and subtitle options you want.

As far as resolutions, if your monitor is almost "square," then you have a standard (Full) monitor. If your monitor is more rectangular, longer than it s high, then you have a wide screen. Here are the recommended in-game resolutions for Testament:

Standard (Full):
800 x 600
1024 x 768
1280 x 1024
1600 x 1200

Widescreen:
800 x 480
1152 x 720
1280 x 720
1680 x 1050
1920 x 1080
1920 x 1200

Try to match the resolution of your game to that of your Desktop monitor. To check your Desktop resolution (outside the game): Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display, Settings tab, and look at the Screen resolution setting.

Jenny says it's best to have the highest resolution possible for your Desktop. Move the slider under Screen Resolution to the right to get that. Then click Apply.

Oh, BTW, if you change the resolution in the game, you usually have to exit the game and restart for the new resolution to take effect. Have you been doing that when you change the resolution?

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 06:12 AM

This is very frustrating,I've tried everything you suggested to no avail. Going to bed now and thanks again.I'm going to have a tech come here to fix this.

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 01:22 PM

I'm back and just thought I'd mention that I believe that the game menu wont allow me to set resolutions because I think the bottom of the menu is cut off.The bottom line of the menu say's Aim and that's partially cut off.Is there anything after the word Aim?
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 05:08 PM

Well, I was going to start my game and take a peek at the options, but guess what - it no longer runs. Something about too many changes made to the PC.

I hate DRM with a passion.
Posted By: traveler

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: InlandAZ

I hate DRM with a passion.

It's no help to Beerhead to say this, but I'm with you all the way.

Gil.

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 05:32 PM

Yeah, I'm really getting to the edge of my patience with the DRM in games today.

However, Beerhead - there are 2 patches for the game, each addresses display issues. If you not at those release levels, give them a shot.

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes v1.0.0.2 Update info:

PATCH NOTES 1.0.0.2:

- Fix a display issue.
- Fix a tutorial issue.

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes Patch 1.00.4:
· added option for horizontal and vertical axis inversion
· minor bug fixes

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 09:47 PM

Where do I get this patch?

Re: screen too large - 04/27/13 10:34 PM

Where do I get this patch?

I see the patches listed at ***Patches-Scrolls***.
Gamershell also lists the 1.0.0.2 patch here
http://www.gamershell.com/download_94779.shtml
and the 1.0.0.4 patch here
http://www.gamershell.com/download_96305.shtml
Posted By: traveler

Re: screen too large - 04/28/13 12:07 AM

Try this link, beerhead.
Testament patch

Oops, late to the party. V1.0.0.4 is probably the one you want anyway.

Gil.

Re: screen too large - 04/28/13 12:36 AM

Thank you thank you.The patch did it!You guys are all great!

Re: screen too large - 04/28/13 04:19 PM

Thank you thank you.The patch did it!You guys are all great!

Glad you got it sorted out - thumbsup

Re: screen too large - 04/29/13 12:54 AM

Glad the patch worked.

Re: screen too large - 05/01/13 03:48 PM

I'm doubly enjoying this game because of all your help getting it to work and the game is so good.Thanks again.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community