GB HOMEPAGE

Windows 7 problem

Posted By: kazzmo

Windows 7 problem - 06/15/13 04:49 AM

My granddaughter receives this message: Windows Explorer has stopped working. Has anyone here had this problem and if so I would appreciate any help you could give. I do not have Win7 and can offer her no help.
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Windows 7 problem - 06/15/13 06:21 AM

If it is an ongoing message, that is constantly appearing there is a program problem. If it pops up occasionally then it just means something has hung up the program so it can't run any more. Usually closing the program in this case resets things so the program can once again run.

Re: Windows 7 problem - 06/15/13 06:23 PM

This is an ongoing problem and closing the program does not help, the message is constant.
Posted By: traveler

Re: Windows 7 problem - 06/15/13 06:42 PM

What has she done to try to fix this, kazzmo? It would help if you could pass on that info.

The first thing I'd do is reboot the computer. If that didn't work, I'd try a System Restore to a time when she knows Windows Explorer was working. I'm not very tech savvy but each of those things has resolved problems for me.

Gil.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Windows 7 problem - 06/15/13 07:22 PM

I'd suggest you use the following support document as a starting point -

Error: Windows Explorer has stopped working

Run the System File Checker as your first step.
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Windows 7 problem - 06/15/13 07:33 PM

When I first read this I thought you said internet explorer was crashing. Do you know if the crash is caused when she right-clicks to bring up the context-menu? If so it could be one of the shell extensions causing this. I had this problem years ago on Vista, it was infuriating. She can try a program like ShellExView which will allow her to view what extensions she has installed and enable/disable them to find out which one is the problem.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Re: Windows 7 problem - 06/15/13 07:37 PM

Travler, Nothing has been done about the problem. She has no ideal where to start.
InlandAZ, Thank you, I will send her the link.
Mj2c, Thank you, I will send her your link also.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community