GB HOMEPAGE

Hubby's pc

Posted By: lindy236

Hubby's pc - 07/02/13 12:24 AM

Whenever he starts up his pc you hear a bonk, bonk sound, but nothing shows up on the screen. So have no idea of what it is. I did add more ram and it was shortly after this that it started. The OS is XP. Sorry for such limited info. wave
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Hubby's pc - 07/02/13 12:44 AM

Have you reopened your computer and made sure nothing is loose? Check all the connections ..the fan and such.... is what I would do. Sounds like you might have knocked something loose when you changed were in it last time.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Hubby's pc - 07/02/13 03:50 PM

I'd have to guess the hard drive has failed. They make a distinctive "click" sound when they fail to read the boot sector.
Posted By: lindy236

Re: Hubby's pc - 07/02/13 04:47 PM

Yikes! I hope it isn't the hard drive. Windows loads and everything runs fine. I have to wait until after the 4th to do anything about it.
Thanks for the info. wave
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Hubby's pc - 07/02/13 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: lindy236
Yikes! I hope it isn't the hard drive. Windows loads and everything runs fine. I have to wait until after the 4th to do anything about it.
Thanks for the info. wave

It may be having issues at boot up then - I didn't realize you could actually boot to the desktop.

If it a clicking sound, I'd still suspect that the hard drive is failing.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Hubby's pc - 07/02/13 05:31 PM

I was going to suggest the same thing when you said nothing shows up on the screen. But the bonks or clicks still might be the hard drive. I would do a backup to be safe.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community