GB HOMEPAGE

desktop.ini

Posted By: oldbroad

desktop.ini - 09/13/13 02:20 AM

Hi. I use MSN email and explorer. For quite a long time it was not working properly but last month I finally called MSN and the tech took control of my computer and did whatever she did to fix it. My download or something was corrupted.

Anyway, after hanging up with her I noticed an icon (I think it's a notepad thing) titled desktop.ini. I think I tried to move it off of my desktop and was alerted that it could cause some problem or other including maybe my system wouldn't start. (I don't remember exactly what it said and truthfully I'm afraid to do anything with it because I don't want to lose access to my computer.) I did ask a guy that does some IT stuff at my place of employment about it and emailed it to him. He said it was safe to trash it but I still left it on my desktop.

Today, after Windows did a bunch of updates that required me to restart my computer, there is a new desktop.ini. The old one is still there and I know there is one in my documents which appeared after the MSN call. I'm pretty sure that I had seen some others when I looked around last month too.

These 3 all say type of file: configuration settings. They are different sizes. The older one on my desktop says created 7/13/09 (I didn't have the computer then) and modified 8/16/13 (probably the day I called MSN). The attributes says HS, the owner is system. 368 bytes.

The new one on the desktop today is created and modified today, attributes HSA, owner is Jackie. 282 bytes. The one in my documents was created 5/18/11 (probably the day I set up the computer), modified today, attributes HSA, owner Jackie. 402 bytes.

Should I be worried about these? I am! Especially now that they are multiplying.
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: desktop.ini - 09/13/13 03:07 AM

First, you do NOT need to be worried about these multiple desktop.ini files. They are Windows system files for customizing folders.

You could do a Google search for desktop.ini but you can start by looking at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc144102%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Note there are some comments at the bottom which are corrections for some of the statements.

Most people will customize folders by other means than editing these ini files. You won't even see these ini entries unless you have set Windows Explorer to "show hidden files and folders."
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: desktop.ini - 09/13/13 03:21 AM

The MSN tech probably made the hidden system files visible so she could troubleshoot, but forgot to hide them again. Windows normally hides them.

It's normal for system.ini files to be there, but they're usually hidden. You may want to hide them again.

If you have XP, here's how to hide them
  • Click 'Start'.
  • Open 'My Computer'.
  • Select 'Tools' menu
  • Click 'Folder Options'
  • Select the 'View' Tab.
  • Uncheck 'Show hidden files and folders' in the Hidden files and folders section.
  • Select 'Hide protected operating system files (recommended)' option.
  • OK your changes.

If you have Windows 7, you can find "Folder Options" in Control Panel.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: desktop.ini - 09/13/13 05:22 AM

Thank you Robert and Jenny 100. I hid them again so I don't have to be worrying about them.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community