GB HOMEPAGE

stack overflow

Posted By: kjos

stack overflow - 10/12/13 11:37 PM

Once in a while this popped up. What does that mean and how do I stop it. Thanks
Richard
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: stack overflow - 10/13/13 01:06 AM

It's an area in storage that contains pointers to other memory addresses, sub-routine execution states, or any number of other values.

I haven't seen a stack overflow in years, so this must be an older program. If it occurs under emulation, like Virtual PC running DOS, you can increase the number of stacks allocated in CONFIG.SYS. The format of the parameter varies based on the version you're running.

What are you running when you see it?
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: stack overflow - 10/13/13 03:09 AM

Goodness, I haven't seen a stack overflow since XP and that's been a long time ago...

Re: stack overflow - 10/13/13 10:13 AM

I'm running win.xp
Posted By: mj2c

Re: stack overflow - 10/13/13 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: InlandAZ

I haven't seen a stack overflow in years, so this must be an older program. If it occurs under emulation, like Virtual PC running DOS, you can increase the number of stacks allocated in CONFIG.SYS. The format of the parameter varies based on the version you're running.

STACKS in CONFIG.SYS only effects the stacks used by interrupts IIRC. Don't think it effects
an individual apps stack. It's been a long time though so I could be wrong:-)
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: stack overflow - 10/13/13 01:58 PM

For what it is worth, there is no config.sys in WinXP but rather WINDOWS/system32/config.nt. This file is used to "set up the MS-DOS environment if not already done by a pif file." Config.sys should be from the Win98SE and older OS.

I've not seen any stack overflows with the games I play which means little. My config.nt file contains
dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
device=%SystemRoot%\emm386.exe
EMM = RAM
STACKS=16,512
files=100
buffers=50
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: stack overflow - 10/13/13 02:55 PM

Does this happen when you're playing a game?
Or does it happen sporadically on your XP computer when you haven't been playing any games?
Are you doing anything in particular when you get the stack error.

If you get stack errors in XP and they aren't from any particular program or game, suspect a virus or some sort of misconfiguration or damage to XP.

Re: stack overflow - 10/13/13 05:00 PM

The only time it happens is when I surf the web.
Not to often. should i be worried at all. thanks
Richard

Re: stack overflow - 10/13/13 05:03 PM

That is correct, but if you're running DOS, or an older version of Windows under emulation, it can still be an issue -

Re: stack overflow - 10/13/13 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: kjos
The only time it happens is when I surf the web.
Not to often. should i be worried at all. thanks
Richard

Try disabling your plug-ins and surf around a bit - does it still occur?
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: stack overflow - 10/14/13 01:38 AM

And what program do you use for your Web surfing?
© 2024 GameBoomers Community