GB HOMEPAGE

Publisher's Clearing House popups

Posted By: Laurette

Publisher's Clearing House popups - 10/15/13 11:05 PM

Don't know if this is the right forum, but... Lately have constantly been getting popups from PCH. Can't find a way to get rid of this. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Publisher's Clearing House popups - 10/16/13 12:07 AM

Download and run the free version of CCleaner. Then if you don't have Malwarebytes, download the free version and run a scan.

CCleaner

Malwarebytes Free

Re: Publisher's Clearing House popups - 10/16/13 12:14 AM

Draclvr: I already have CCleaner. Will run it. Also, have paid-for version of SuperAnti Spyware.

Thanks.

Re: Publisher's Clearing House popups - 10/16/13 01:40 AM

Good... run your scans including Super Anti-Spyware. CCleaner should clear out the internet cache in your browsers too. See what happens.

Re: Publisher's Clearing House popups - 10/16/13 03:11 AM

Tried updating CCleaner and got "optimizer Pro." Wasn't sure if this was a good thing to do, so got out of it. Any opinions? Thanks.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Publisher's Clearing House popups - 10/16/13 03:46 AM

Optimizer Pro is scareware. It claims to find a bunch of stuff wrong with your computer and offers to "fix" it (for a nominal fee). You don't want that. If you Google Optimizer Pro you find lots of websites about how to remove it.

Where did you get the Ccleaner update? I don't see how "updating" Ccleaner would get you Optimizer Pro. You should only download Ccleaner from the Piriform website.

You shouldn't need to update Ccleaner in order to run it anyway. Ccleaner isn't something that needs to be updated all the time like an antivirus or anti-malware program. Check the "Quick Tour" for how to use it to clean different things.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/tour/main-window

Re: Publisher's Clearing House popups - 10/16/13 04:46 AM

If you went to one of the mirrors offered for the download, you probably clicked on the wrong thing. That's one reason I only download from the source - only use the Piriform download when you go to the download page.

I just checked and the File Hippo mirror takes you right to the correct download page. Somehow you got directed somewhere else.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community