GB HOMEPAGE

Converting cassette tapes to CD's

Posted By: flutist

Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/22/13 07:13 PM

Has anyone used a cassette converter to put cassette tapes on CD's? If so, which one did you find to do the best job?

Bets
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/22/13 07:26 PM

I converted about 100 cassette tapes to digital files and then saved them to CDs a few years ago. I needed to have a cassette deck with an audio out jack which I didn't have, so I borrowed one. The software I used was Spin It Again. It was very easy to use and allowed you to removed tape hiss and other noise. You could also separate the songs and download the Album art too.

I'm sure there are other options out there too that someone else has used.

It was kind of cool to listen to all my old tapes from the 1980's.

Spin It Again

Posted By: mj2c

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/22/13 07:30 PM

I used to use Polderbits many many years ago.

http://www.polderbits.com/sound-recorder-and-editor.html

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/22/13 09:52 PM

Drac, what kind of a cable did you use?

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/23/13 01:23 AM

It was an audio out - white and red (two cables) - to 3.5 mm (one cable) which plugs into the back of your computer's sound card input. If you don't have one, don't buy it... I'll get you mine. It's only good for one thing and I'm done using it.

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/23/13 02:30 AM

My tape player has a headphone output. Would that work?

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/23/13 02:57 AM

I don't think so, but I'll have to check. It seems to me that the tape player I had at the time had a headphone output and that wouldn't work.
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/23/13 10:13 AM

You can get headphone to audio jacks
like these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...sl_8311cu0khp_e

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/23/13 01:59 PM

Yes, those are like the ones I have. It has two RCA (white and red) jacks for the cassette player deck and an audio jack for the sound card on your computer. You plug it in to the sound "in" on the sound card. But I don't think you can use a headphone jack "out" from the tape deck player to go to the sound card on your computer. I'm not sure though. I still have the old tape deck I used if you need one with RCA jacks for the audio out.

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/23/13 04:02 PM

I guess mine is not going to work then.
Posted By: Cue

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/23/13 04:32 PM

I believe you should be able to connect the tape deck headphone jack to the sound card microphone jack.

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/23/13 06:30 PM

You'd need to have a special cable for it to work, though. I guess it would be the same jack on both ends...

Like I said, you're welcome to borrow my tape deck and my cables.
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/24/13 03:59 AM

An audio out to your soundcard including the headphone connector will work. You only need a cable that fits into headphone on one end and sound card on other.

As for a recording program here is the most amazing recording tool I've ever seen. You can download a free trial to used it. Use is limited but reinstalling program allows you to "Test it again"

I bought the thing ten years ago 32 bit and when buying a 64 bit system they gave me a free upgrade. Upgrades are free for lifetime.

I recorded a 1960's LP into the program. The filtering properties are so good at removing pops, tics, hum and hiss the resulting CD sounded like a brand new digital recording. It cost about 50$ but if you like to play with

audio this program is top shelf.

You can also add ambiance making your recording sound "Live" "Studio" etc there are hundreds of options. You can even record backwards. Check it out. After ten years I would not be without this thing well worth the money.

I've recorded hundreds of old albums and tapes with unbelievable results.

Goldwave
Posted By: Donald

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/25/13 03:30 AM

The Tape 2 Go Digital Conversion Cassette Player from ION might make this easy for you. Here is the link.

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/tape-2-go2

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-ITR17-Digita...words=Tape+2+Go

Re: Converting cassette tapes to CD's - 10/25/13 04:25 AM

Donald, that little device plus the software looks like a great deal.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community