GB HOMEPAGE

Run A Game Without The CD/DVD

Posted By: Cue

Run A Game Without The CD/DVD - 11/18/13 01:36 PM

Mrs. Cue complains if I take one of her game CD's out of the drive that she's been playing but she's just busting them for me. It did make me wonder if it's possible to copy the entire CD to the drive and run a game (Word Whomp, Phlinx, Poppit) without the need for the disc?

I'm running Windows 8.1
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: Run A Game Without The CD/DVD - 11/18/13 03:37 PM

In general, it can't be done. Some games are written to copy all necessary files to your hard drive so that the CD/DVD is not needed, but many games do not do that. There are also games that use copyright protection requiring the CD/DVD to remain in a drive.

You can get around some of this with software that emulates CD/DVD disks. Images are made and mounted rather than actual disks. There are also NO/CD patches available for some games.
However, you will need to do your own research on this as it is, I believe, a subject prohibited on this site.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Run A Game Without The CD/DVD - 11/18/13 04:26 PM

I think we can mention Alcohol 120%
http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

and Daemon-Tools
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/home

since they are retail programs.
They aren't the only ones -- just two that I know are used for game discs.

It's the sites that have the NoCD patches that can't be mentioned because the same patches can be used for illegal downloads. You have to do a Google search for the name of the game followed by NoCD.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Run A Game Without The CD/DVD - 11/18/13 05:21 PM

These are excellent, and free -

To create an ISO image: ISO Recorder

To mount the image: Virtual CloneDrive

They will work with virtually any non DRM protected disc.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Run A Game Without The CD/DVD - 11/18/13 06:58 PM

See, Cue, I told you they would know the answer!
Posted By: Geo

Re: Run A Game Without The CD/DVD - 11/18/13 07:40 PM

You could add another drive if it is a desktop computer.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Run A Game Without The CD/DVD - 11/18/13 07:55 PM

That is a good idea, Geo. You can get decent optical drives for $20 - $25 at Newegg.
Posted By: Cue

Re: Run A Game Without The CD/DVD - 11/18/13 08:04 PM

Yes, you were right, Drac. lol

Thanks for the great ideas! I like the ISO route since I already have the ISO recording software and fully trust SlySoft to get the VirtualCloneDrive from them. I'm hoping that it will be straightforward enough that I can put an icon on the desktop for Mrs. Cue to click on and not make her have to go through any additional steps to get a game running.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community