GB HOMEPAGE

Unzipping

Posted By: robert gray

Unzipping - 11/21/13 02:15 AM

hi, could someone lead me through the steps involved with unzipping a shiny loot game please? it has been years since i last unzipped a game and the normal advice of right-clicking - depending on the zip/unzip program, doesn't work for me. robert.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Unzipping - 11/21/13 02:27 AM

If the ShinyLoot game you downloaded is a rar file, you'll first need to install a program that can extract rar files. Windows can only unzip zip files.

Re: Unzipping - 11/21/13 03:23 AM

it just says winzip file, maybe because i downloaded the evaluation version. robert.
Posted By: traveler

Re: Unzipping - 11/21/13 04:22 AM

Robert,

Windows 7 has an unzip utility built in. Penn State has an explanation of how you do it.

Gil.

Re: Unzipping - 11/21/13 04:25 PM

hi Traveller, i got your Penn State article on unzipping and i right clicked on 7-Zip. now i'm really confused. it didn't mention anywhere my zipped games Black Mirror 3 and Adams Venture 1 which i bought from ShinyLoot and would like to play. how do i proceed from here please? robert.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Unzipping - 11/21/13 04:28 PM

Quoted for reference
Originally Posted By: Penn State article
How To Unzip a file or folder

If you receive a Zip file, you need to uncompress or unzip the file to use it.

1. Right-click on the Zip file and choose Extract All
2. Choose a location for the folder to be extracted into
3. If you checked "Show extracted files when complete", the files or folders within the Zip folder appear. If you unchecked the box, a folder or file with the same name (without the Zip) should appear.
4. This folderwill be your working copy of the data from the Zip file.
5. You may keep the Zip file or delete it.

What point are you having problems at?
If you right-click on the downloaded zip file, do you not see an option for "Extract All?"

The Penn State instructions do say
Quote:
Installing a different compression program to Windows may remove Compressed (zipped) Folders from the right-click menu choices and replace it with the new compression program's icon.

so if you've installed a different program to unzip files, you may have a different right-click list. If this is the case, let us know what's in your list.

Re: Unzipping - 11/21/13 05:09 PM

Robert, if I understand you correctly, you right clicked on the program 7 Zip.
You won't see any games there.
Right click on the game file you want to open.
So, if you want to open Black Mirror, right click on that and follow the steps to extract everything.

Gil.

If the article had referred to the file to be opened as a "zipped" file (rather than 'zip'), there probably would have been no misunderstanding.

It would have been obvious at once that they didn't mean the "unzipper" but the file to be un-zipped.

Re: Unzipping - 11/22/13 07:47 PM

hi Traveller, when i right click on Black Mirror 3, i don't get 'extract' but a selection menu, one selection being 'open'. when i click 'open' i get 'Black Mirror 3 winzip file. this is so frustrating! now i don't know what to do. could you possibly advise please? robert.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Unzipping - 11/22/13 08:12 PM

If you have 7-ZIP installed you should see the following options -

Re: Unzipping - 11/22/13 09:40 PM

So, what happens when you right click on the winzip file, Robert?
I don't have 7-zip so this is odd to me.

Gil.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Unzipping - 11/22/13 09:48 PM

What Inland posted is exactly what I see when I right click on a winzip file and then move the cursor down to 7-Zip.

Re: Unzipping - 11/22/13 10:34 PM

Um...why don't you just click on Extract All instead of moving the cursor down to 7-Zip, Draclvr?

Gil.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Unzipping - 11/22/13 11:02 PM

That's what I do when it's a simple zip file - extract all, nice and simple. I was just saying that if it's an rar or some other type of compression, I use 7-Zip and I get the same screen as Inland posted. The screen shows both of them - the initial extract all and the 7-Zip screen.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community