GB HOMEPAGE

Alter Ego Glitch

Posted By: Tinalyn48

Alter Ego Glitch - 12/03/13 11:01 PM

I know this is an older game, but could anyone help me figure out why I can't see the characters during gameplay? I have updated my video drivers, reinstalled the game twice, but no luck. It installs and runs perfectly fine but the characters are invisible. Makes for frustrating play!! I would appreciate any insight:)
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/03/13 11:03 PM

Doesn't sound like a glitch.
Sounds like your video card doesn't meet the system requirements. Either that or you have the wrong video drivers for the game. The latest aren't the best if you have an older card.

What type of video card do you have?
If you don't know, check the Display tab of dxdiag (Start button, search for dxdiag with Vista or Win7), or run a utility like BelArc or Speccy to find out what video card you have.

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/03/13 11:21 PM

Intel (R) HD Graphics (3icore)
64MB of dedicated memory
and driver date is 7/28/2010
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/03/13 11:25 PM

It's the graphics processor, it doesn't support the game.

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/03/13 11:26 PM

So...there's nothing I can do?? Bummer:((

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/03/13 11:29 PM

Are there still such things as patches or are those just for older games?
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/03/13 11:31 PM

If you're asking about a patch for this game, it won't help because your graphics processor does not support the game.

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/03/13 11:41 PM

So that means that I cannot play it? Is my card that out of date?

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/03/13 11:59 PM

No, you just have a graphics processor that is not meant to play games. The Core i3 is a fine computer processor with a graphics chip built in to the processor itself. It's not really a card, but is an integrated graphics processor - it is not meant for playing games. Even newer adventure games have higher graphics requirements.

Especially if this is a laptop, there is nothing you can do. If it were a desktop you might be able to install a stand-alone video card.

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/04/13 01:19 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. I am going to try it on my desktop. Maybe that will be compatible:)

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/04/13 01:52 AM

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/04/13 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Tinalyn48
Thanks so much for the advice. I am going to try it on my desktop. Maybe that will be compatible:)

I would imagine you'd be just fine, even the lowest end desktop graphics processors provide full support for DX9.0c - If your running a GeForce 6200 or greater you'll at least be able to see the characters.

Let us know how it goes.
Posted By: HandsFree

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/04/13 10:36 PM

I had the same problem with Alter Ego on my win7 64 bit laptop with intel graphics. But got it working.
I have the Shiny Loot download version; not sure if it's different for other versions but this worked for me:
Go to the folder where the game is installed. With my version I had no option of choosing where it would install (I hate that) and it went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Viva Media\Alter Ego US and run AlterEgo.exe from there. This way you get a screen with a 'Setup' choice. Somehow I didn't get that choice if I just started the game from the startmenu.
In the setup screen set Shader Level and Antialiasing level both to 0 (null).

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/04/13 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: HandsFree
I had the same problem with Alter Ego on my win7 64 bit laptop with intel graphics. But got it working.
I have the Shiny Loot download version; not sure if it's different for other versions but this worked for me:
Go to the folder where the game is installed. With my version I had no option of choosing where it would install (I hate that) and it went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Viva Media\Alter Ego US and run AlterEgo.exe from there. This way you get a screen with a 'Setup' choice. Somehow I didn't get that choice if I just started the game from the startmenu.
In the setup screen set Shader Level and Antialiasing level both to 0 (null).

Now that's a handy piece of info smile

I happened to have this game installed on one of my (long ago retired) work laptops with an Intel IGP. It does get the job done, although I didn't have to lower the AA level - thanks.

Re: Alter Ego Glitch - 12/05/13 10:50 PM

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the intel. Got it installed and running through Steam on my desktop, no prob...except

Problem I am having now is I have made it to the part where Briscol is viewing the contents of Lockley's suitcase in the archives; gest Dr. Sewards number and calls his wife: when I try to read Mad Williams diary, it does not give me the prompt to go to the tailor shop, therefore no tailor shop visible on map...any ideas? was I supposed to read the diary prior to that somewhere?

I will post this in game discussion also:)
© 2024 GameBoomers Community