GB HOMEPAGE

Windows Defender

Posted By: Terri824

Windows Defender - 02/04/14 02:17 AM

My Windows Defender has been turned off and I can't seem to get it turned back on. According to the Action Center.....Security, Spyware and unwanted protection is turned off as well as my Virus protection. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Windows Defender - 02/04/14 02:41 AM

Is this on your Windows 8 computer? Did you install a different anti-virus? At one time you asked me about another program that your daughter had? If you did, Windows Defender will be turned off.

How to turn Windows Defender on and off

Re: Windows Defender - 02/04/14 03:03 AM

Oh gee Drac. I finally got it back on, that really panicked me. I had downloaded something and didn't think I'd ever get rid of it. Well looking at the desktop now I may not have gotten rid of everything. I see an IObit icon that should not be there on my Windows 8 computer! Am I ever going to learn!!! I tried to use Google, dad gum............it's taking me other places. How can I do a system restore for earlier today?
Looks like I originally posted this under the wrong forum, sorry about that, can't believe I did it again.

I decided to run AdwCleaner and there were a lot of things to remove, didn't even bother to write them down. I hope that fixes it.

Re: Windows Defender - 02/04/14 03:14 AM

What did you download? If it was IOBit, it's questionable software and totally unnecessary. Depending on where you downloaded it from, a load of Malware may have been piggy-backed on it. Check your system for anything relating to Conduit too.

Run your Malwarebytes - a deep scan. System Restore may not help if whatever you picked up is in there too.

Re: Windows Defender - 02/04/14 03:25 AM

I believe it was Advanced System Care. Can't get rid of IObit Uninstaller, need to check out why.
While this is on my mind, where might I be able to get someone to check my PC and remove all of the unwanted junk that I have put on it? Check your email.

Re: Windows Defender - 02/04/14 03:30 AM

Terri, every time you are tempted to download something like this Advanced System Care, JUST SAY NO! Email me if you need an intervention!

BleepingComputer.com does NOT like this software.

Advanced System Care, Good or Bad

Is this program not listed in your Add/Remove programs in Control Panel?

Re: Windows Defender - 02/04/14 07:21 AM

Actually it's not in my add/remove programs. I've opened the software and it says IObit Uninstaller 3 with all my programs listed in it. If I hit the uninstall it asks which program I want to uninstall..............this cannot be good. I may have to go to the website and ask how to remove this without uninstalling my other programs, that or just delete the icon. Whoa, just remembered that I d/loaded it on my EHD, I uninstalled it! Darn, I feel like I need a 12 step program to help with my obsession.
Thanks again Drac hearts

Re: Windows Defender - 02/04/14 03:05 PM

Just FYI to anyone else reading this, Terri got rid of the infestation of BHOs (browser help objects), a download manager and a couple of other pieces of spyware that piggy-backed on her download of IOBit Advanced System Care with AdwCleaner. Terri, do you remember what download site you used? I'm going to post a link to a very good article about download sites which used to be reputable that have gone to the dark side and piggy-back junk on their downloads. It mirrors my experience exactly with a couple of sites which I USED to trust. Even CNET downloaded spyware after I specifically UNCHECKED all the extra offers - it was was downloaded anyway.

Re: Windows Defender - 02/04/14 06:51 PM

No Drac, I'm sorry. Yesterday I could have found it highlighted in my searches but not today. I too have unchecked items and had them downloaded anyway on CNET.

Re: Windows Defender - 02/04/14 11:46 PM

Looks like I'm not quite done after all. I have been having problems with Google, when I click on an item, icon, link, it does nothing. I decided to go to my Manage add-ons. I'm at a loss but at the bottom I show: Advanced SystemCare Browser Protection, under that it has IObit Information Technology, version 7.0.0.0 Type: Browser Helper Object. File date Monday 25, 2013, 1:30 PM, Search for this add-on via default search provider. I have more questions about this but Daughter and Granddaughters just got here so need to get off pc.

Re: Windows Defender - 02/05/14 12:10 AM

Can you disable the add-ons?

Re: Windows Defender - 02/05/14 02:54 AM

Yes, I did disable it (obit). I guess that means I can't remove it completely. You said add-ons as in plural. So I am supposed to disable any and all add-ons?

Re: Windows Defender - 02/05/14 03:30 AM

No, I just mean anything you mentioned to do with that IOBit stuff. Although if you have tons of add-ons, it might be a good time to cull out any that aren't really necessary or that look unfamiliar to you.
Posted By: Mrace

Re: Windows Defender - 02/07/14 07:34 AM

USE Microsoft Security Essentials + MBAM.
This free couple is realy good
Posted By: Marian

Re: Windows Defender - 02/07/14 08:08 AM

welcome to GameBoomers, Mrace.
Posted By: Cari

Re: Windows Defender - 02/23/14 01:46 AM

Don’t know whether this has already been covered.

So many downloads are infested now with this junk, usually advertisement browsers that hijack your default browser. It is possible to delete most but not all.
If Google is your browser go to the three little bars top left on your screen and click, on the scroll down click tools then extensions remove every extension except Google that usually clears the problem though it doesn’t remove the files from your PC. To do that means entering the registry which I wouldn’t advise unless you are competent in that practise.

PS
After deleting extensions make sure Google is ticked as your default browser and check your home page in internet options and restart your PC.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community