GB HOMEPAGE

Taking pics of games when I'm playing them

Posted By: gruffy

Taking pics of games when I'm playing them - 03/09/14 09:45 AM

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for this but here I go!
When I'm playing a game I'm trying to get a picture of my gameplay eg the lost crown. I know there's a button I need to click called print screen on the key board but I'm not sure what to do after that!
Posted By: MaG

Re: Taking pics of games when I'm playing them - 03/09/14 01:48 PM

This is Ana's post on casual forum's instruction on how to take screenshots:

If you are stuck looking for an impossible HOG item that is too tiny to see here is a tip to ease your frustration.

1. Take a screenshot and zoom in.

a. Open Paint - click on start/all programs/accessories/Paint (you can access by alt-tab while most games are running, just remember the timer will still run)

b. Open the screen in the game that you want to copy.

c. Click the Prnt Scn button on your keyboard (Located in the upper right)

d. Close game if it's timed or Alt/Tab to the paint program and click on Edit/Paste

e. Select the magnifying glass on the left to enlarge the photo and use the scroll bars to move around. I prefer saving the photo to the desktop and closing Paint and then reopening the photo with Windows fax Viewer and zooming in and out with the scroll wheel on the mouse. Use whatever method that works for you.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Taking pics of games when I'm playing them - 03/09/14 03:04 PM

If you happen to be using Windows 8, all you have to do is press the Windows key and Printscreen. The screenshot will be saved as a .jpg file in a folder named Screenshots. Windows 8 has eliminated the need to import into Paint and all the other steps.

Re: Taking pics of games when I'm playing them - 03/10/14 01:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! Ive got the printscreen working and have saved a pic of my gameplay on the desktop!
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Taking pics of games when I'm playing them - 03/10/14 02:54 PM

You could also use a program like Fraps which allows you to record your gameplay as well as take single shots. It can also display the framerate your game is running at.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Taking pics of games when I'm playing them - 03/10/14 03:52 PM

If you want to take a LOT of pictures during your game, I'd recommend 3rd party software like the ***Fraps*** mj2c mentioned. It's a lot more convenient when you are collecting dozens of pictures. If you only want a few screenshots, then the built-in Windows option is probably good enough.

The age of the game may enter into it. I was never able to get screenshots of 256 color games like "Armed and Delirious" using the built-in Windows software. It may work better playing the games windowed inside a VM (haven't tried it), but I'd get black screens for screenshots using the Print-Screen-and-paste-in-paint method for 256 color games run full screen. And there are some fairly recent games where I can't get screenshots from cut scenes using Print-Screen-and-paste-in-Paint.

Re: Taking pics of games when I'm playing them - 03/11/14 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
If you want to take a LOT of pictures during your game, I'd recommend 3rd party software like the ***Fraps*** mj2c mentioned. It's a lot more convenient when you are collecting dozens of pictures. If you only want a few screenshots, then the built-in Windows option is probably good enough.

The age of the game may enter into it. I was never able to get screenshots of 256 color games like "Armed and Delirious" using the built-in Windows software. It may work better playing the games windowed inside a VM (haven't tried it), but I'd get black screens for screenshots using the Print-Screen-and-paste-in-paint method for 256 color games run full screen. And there are some fairly recent games where I can't get screenshots from cut scenes using Print-Screen-and-paste-in-Paint.

Thanks Jenny, i shall give Fraps ago!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community