GB HOMEPAGE

New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use?

Posted By: hagatha

New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/04/14 08:37 PM

Looking for some Boomer suggestions and comments for antivirus protection. I quickly downloaded AVG Free for the time being, but obviously want to upgrade at some point soon.
Posted By: kjos

Re: New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/04/14 09:53 PM

I've been using ,Avast Free Antivirus, hagatha.I really like it.
Richard

Re: New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/04/14 10:06 PM

Hadn't heard of that one. I'll check it out.
Posted By: Marian

Re: New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/04/14 10:07 PM

That's what I use too - Avast. It doesn't hog resources and has never given me any troubles/conflicts with games. I've had it for about four years now. I use the free version.
Posted By: Starcom

Re: New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/04/14 10:11 PM

Did your New Laptop come with Windows 8 (or 8.1)? If so, check to make sure that AVG did indeed disable Windows Defender to be on the safe side, since WD is also a built in A/V software.
Posted By: kjos

Re: New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/04/14 10:57 PM

You have to be careful when you download any software. They sneak AVG Free and install it when you aren't looking. Some gamers might like it but I don't.
Richard
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/05/14 02:37 AM

What Starcom said... if you got Windows 8.1, Windows Defender antivirus is already installed. It's not rated the highest in the bunch, but I like it. I use it along with Malwarebytes Pro and have had very good luck with it.

Avast is probably rated the highest of the free options, but I got rid of it because I got tired of having to renew my subscription every year so they could bombard me with requests to upgrade to the paid version. I got rid of AVG because it hogged so many resources - my hard drive was running constantly. I thought they had gotten better, but someone else here at GB said they didn't think so.

You might do a search for the best free antivirus solutions... there might be some recent comparisons.

And how are you liking your snazzy new gaming laptop?!

Re: New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/05/14 03:41 AM

No, I got Windows 7 with and option to upgrade if I want to later.

I'm having trouble getting downloads to go where I need them to be -- on the data drive, not on the C drive, which is very small and intended for OS functions.

But I got some help from a typically helpful Boomer, and am now organizing everything on D Drive.

Draclvr, this machine seems to be wonderful, but I can't put it through its paces until I get a new wireless mouse because mine doesn't fit into the ports. I guess these are newfangled ports. More gadgetry to buy.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/05/14 11:01 PM

Yes, you must tell your browser where to put the downloads. The defaults are always to the C drive. But I think Inland already got that sorted out for you. Your old mouse wasn't USB?
Posted By: Homer6

Re: New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/07/14 05:45 AM

I'm another one who uses Avast. I started with the free version but upgraded to the paid version for the additional functions. Compared to the last two anti-viruses I had, Avast is a dream. It sets in the background and minds its own business. And notifies me when it's updated the virus definitions or if it finds something funny; there are several notices which will pop up for this or that reason, but you can control which to want to see.

Re: New Laptop. Which Antivirus to use? - 04/16/14 03:28 AM

Draclvr, I had to buy a new mouse. For some reason the old one just wouldn't fit into the ports. Can't figure out why. It should have, but it seemed to be too big. Still, I got a nice new Logitech gaming mouse out of it, so it's all good.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community