GB HOMEPAGE

can I use a laptop with Winsdows 8 for games?

Posted By: linda texel

can I use a laptop with Winsdows 8 for games? - 08/04/14 09:32 AM

I want to buy a laptop but here in the Netherlands the Window 7 laptops a incredible expensive, 2x more than a Windows 8 laptop. But can I use a Windows 8 laptop to play games like Moebius, Dreamfall etc and the Casual games?
Posted By: Rushes

Re: can I use a laptop with Winsdows 8 for games? - 08/04/14 01:27 PM

Hi linda, I'll move your post across to our tech forum where they'll be able to offer you advice. luck
Posted By: mj2c

Re: can I use a laptop with Winsdows 8 for games? - 08/04/14 01:56 PM

Generally if they would run on Win 7 they tend to run on Win 8 (at least the 32 bit version) as they are pretty much the same OS apart from the Metro stuff. How well they run will depend more on your GFX hardware.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: can I use a laptop with Winsdows 8 for games? - 08/04/14 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: mj2c
How well they run will depend more on your GFX hardware.

What mj2c said.
The most important thing for new games is the graphics card, not the Windows version. Moebius works fine on 64-bit Windows 8 as long as you have a reasonably good graphics card. The GOG version of Dreamfall is supposed to work with Windows 8, though if you have a disc version of the game it may need patching.

Most adventure games expect an Nvidia or Radeon card with discrete memory (not shared memory) and at least medium capability (not a budget card or a card designed to save power). Drivers for Intel graphics are not always supported by adventure games. Casual games are less picky and will work with pretty much any newer computer.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: can I use a laptop with Winsdows 8 for games? - 08/04/14 03:36 PM

Jenny said it all... a laptop with Windows 8 will play most games just fine - as long as you have a good graphics card. It's not the Windows version, but the graphics hardware that makes the difference. Check out our Windows 8 and Gaming thread stickied at the top of the Glitches forum to get a feel for how games are playing on Windows 8.
Posted By: linda texel

Re: can I use a laptop with Winsdows 8 for games? - 08/04/14 03:43 PM

ok, and thanks for the info.
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: can I use a laptop with Winsdows 8 for games? - 08/04/14 10:50 PM

However before you spend big money consider Microsoft has already determined windows 8 is a dog. They plan to release Windows 9 next year. A lot of stories on the net saying Windows 8 is the new Windows ME and Microsoft has given up on it. Why else would Nine be released so soon?
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: can I use a laptop with Winsdows 8 for games? - 08/04/14 11:15 PM

Whatever you decided to purchase, post the specs - we'll let you know what to expect gaming wise.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: can I use a laptop with Winsdows 8 for games? - 08/05/14 01:57 AM

Yes, what Inland said.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community