GB HOMEPAGE

GamersGate

Posted By: kjos

GamersGate - 10/14/14 11:06 AM

I bought this game at GamersGate awhile back (Memoria). I wanted to play it again so I thought I would download it again. I clicked on the download button and this message came up at the bottom of the page.
Download Memoria.exe is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer. Below that was.
Delete,actions,view downloades.
My problem what should I do I want to play the game. It's my game. Thanks
Richard
Posted By: Geo

Re: GamersGate - 10/14/14 02:29 PM

I would think it would be ok to download it,(wait for another opinion),but before you click to open the game you should right click on the game and scan it with your virus software just to be safe. If it comes out ok after that I would think it would be ok.

Re: GamersGate - 10/14/14 02:53 PM

Thanks Geo,will do what you said. I right clicked on the game but there wasn't any scan for viruses.
Richard
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: GamersGate - 10/14/14 03:13 PM

Is this a message from your anti-virus? Or a message from IE? It simply sounds like the warning you get when you use IE to download something - it just warns you about downloads and is very annoying.

Anyway, you won't get the message to scan when you right click until after you download the file. I think both IE and Firefox automatically scan downloads for malware. You don't right click the shortcut icon on the desktop - you right click on the actual download itself.

Re: GamersGate - 10/14/14 03:40 PM

I haven't download the game yet afraid to. I have a choice weather to download the game or not. Should I just ignore the warning and download the game. It says IE at the top. At the bottom I have a choice
delete--actions---view downloads.
I clicked in actions and I get don't run this game
delete program
run anyway.
Richard
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: GamersGate - 10/14/14 03:50 PM

"... is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer" is a stock warning that is thrown up by IE. It means nothing except that the file is not in IE's database (many many files are not in IE's database). You're getting the file from a reputable source, so don't worry about it.

Also, as Draclvr says, you can't scan a file you haven't downloaded yet. Go ahead an download the installation file, then scan it if you want.

It's extremely unlikely there's anything wrong with the installation file if you're getting it directly from Gamersgate, though there is still the possibility of a false positive.

If you want to play the game, go ahead and download the installer.

Re: GamersGate - 10/14/14 03:54 PM

Thanks so much Jenny I needed to hear that.
Richard
Posted By: Jarkeld

Re: GamersGate - 10/14/14 05:28 PM

Not just IE, Chrome gives out this warning as well.

Re: GamersGate - 10/14/14 05:34 PM

I downloaded the game with no trouble. I guess just ignore the warnings. Game plays just fine. I did a scan found no viruses.

Richard
Posted By: sanford

Re: GamersGate - 10/15/14 04:46 AM

Hi Richard,
I also had purchased Memoria from Gamersgate. I enjoyed it very much. I hope you will, as well.
Sandy
© 2024 GameBoomers Community