GB HOMEPAGE

Another printer question

Posted By: The Haze

Another printer question - 03/06/15 08:53 PM

frown I have a problem printing with my HP printer, but I have become convinced it's really with my Microsoft Office Suite. Anything I download or print from Facebook, or the web, prints perfectly (Recipes, jokes, poems, etc.) However, anything I type out and attempt to print results in skipped lines, some lines (But not all) of partially printed letters,and general ugliness. To make matters worse, I cannot find the original disk which came with my computer in order to attempt to reload Office. First of two questions; can I be correct that the problem is in the program? Next; is there a place to go online to reload Microsoft Office which won't cost $150.00? I've already tried new ink, unplugging and replugging cables, and all other "Normal" things.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 08:55 PM

If you do a "print preview" of a document, what does it look like?

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 09:18 PM

I just tried that with three different documents. The "Preview" looks perfect.

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 09:29 PM

What happens if you type up a test document in Word Pad and try to print it?

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 09:31 PM

I have never tried that. I shall return.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 09:43 PM

It does sound like a Microsoft problem (check your printer properties in Word) - but, if you don't see anything obvious you might want to peruse the following document from HP.

Continuous Pages of Strange or Garbled Characters Print in Windows

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 09:43 PM

Ah ha...the plot murkens even more. I typed three lines on Wordpad and set it for #14 font. It printed perfectly. I then cut and pasted that to a blank Works page. It printed perfectly. I then changed the font to #12 (Still in Works) and got the usual mess with white horizontal lines thru one of the three lines. I then cut and pasted that to Wordpad and again got the messy illegible copy. FYI, about 30 minutes before this post started I found a recipe I liked (On Facebook). I went to the site, hit the "Print" botton at the top of the recipe and got a perfect, clean copy. I t is rapidly getting to be cocktail time.

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 09:45 PM

The support document for trouble shooting Word documents not printing correctly is pretty dizzying, so I hope I don't have to point that that. It also suggests that a template may have become corrupted.

I'm thinking a cocktail might be in order!

EDIT: Wait... I just noticed you said you are using Works, not Word. In your first post you mentioned the Office Suite, so I assumed you were using Microsoft Word. Clarify??? I'm confused, which is not a very long trip some days!

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 09:55 PM

hmm. I checked "Properties" and can clearly see that "This device is working properly." It's not!
Thnaks for you help, folks, but I am at just about the limit of my technical skills. Should I attempt to install a new driver or would I better off hauling this irksome collection of plastic to my local Best Buy tech?

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 10:04 PM

See my edit above... I still think Inland is right that this is a Windows issue.

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 10:04 PM

SORRY.. I am using Word, not Works. I have no idea how I did that. All my document title seem to end with ".docx"

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 10:06 PM

And that's the way they are supposed to end. So, it appears to be a specific font point that isn't printing correctly? If the 14 point font works correctly, I'd just use that from now on. Have your tried a different font other than the defaul Times New Roman... it it's one of the fonts, I "think" they can be reinstalled.

I really don't think it's your printer.

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 10:09 PM

I am feeling the need for a violent profanity break (And I need some lunch which is long overdue) I'll return in a bit. Thank you all for your time. I will also look up "Specific font point." If you are wondering if I get those same types of error in several different fonts, I do.

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 10:13 PM

I did find something about horizontal white lines that suggests you clean your print heads. After a good cussing streak and a couple of cocktails, maybe try that.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Another printer question - 03/06/15 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I'm thinking a cocktail might be in order!

Sounds like a plan smile

Let's see what happens when she changes he font face...

Re: Another printer question - 03/07/15 02:11 AM

I cleaned the heads and kept going through about four steps of the process. It may actually have fixed the problem. BUT...I knew how to do this because I did it last week and it didn't fix the problem. Computers are inherently evil and will some day take over the planet! Thanx again all.

Re: Another printer question - 03/07/15 04:59 AM

Maybe it was the addition of the cocktails!

Re: Another printer question - 03/07/15 06:48 PM

I hope not. I'm too old to clean like that very often.

Re: Another printer question - 03/07/15 07:57 PM

grin
© 2024 GameBoomers Community