GB HOMEPAGE

Blackstone Chronicles

Posted By: oldbroad

Blackstone Chronicles - 07/05/15 04:54 PM

Hi.

Does anybody know (offhand) if Blackstone Chronicles works in Windows 7?

Thanks.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Blackstone Chronicles - 07/05/15 06:14 PM

I've read that it has a problem on Windows 7 because it uses an old version of QuickTime and the "latest" QuickTime isn't fully backward compatible.
It would probably run inside Virtual PC provided you had Windows 95 or 98 installed inside Virtual PC.

Re: Blackstone Chronicles - 07/05/15 09:26 PM

Ok thanks Jenny. Maybe I will try it and see. I think I have an older version of QuickTime installed but in my installed programs it doesn't say the version and I can't see where to find it.

It can't hurt anything to try it right?
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Blackstone Chronicles - 07/05/15 09:28 PM

I've looked as well, and don't see any references to folks getting it to run under Windows 7. Inferno has an XP setup that you may want to try - but that's about it.

Blackstone Chronicles Set Up Walkthrough

Your best bet is to install Virtual PC 2007, and install Windows 9x (or even XP).

Quote:
It can't hurt anything to try it right?

Never hurts to try smile

Re: Blackstone Chronicles - 07/05/15 09:58 PM

HM. Well, it doesn't sound good. I have played it in XP with no tweaking that I remember (I'm not much of a tweaker and this was one of the first games I ever played so I don't think I did).

Maybe I'll give it a try as long as it won't hurt anything.

Thanks.

Re: Blackstone Chronicles - 07/05/15 10:29 PM

Well, it installed fine and looks fine but there is no sound and to move anywhere I have to hit escape after I left click the mouse. Bummer!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Blackstone Chronicles - 07/06/15 01:44 AM

That sure sounds like QuickTime is not cooperating.
If you've got a Windows 98 CD, and want to try using Virtual PC, we can try to help you.

There's a YouTube seller who creates installers for old games so they run on Windows 7/8, and he's got one for Blackstone. It's not cheap, but if this is your favorite game or something and you don't want to try Virtual PC, it might be worth checking out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230863773169

Re: Blackstone Chronicles - 07/06/15 01:54 AM

Thanks Jenny. I did set up Virtual PC in my XP years ago but am not sure I want to go that route again. I actually do still have my Win98 and my sister's XP. I haven't used the 98 for a few years or set up the XP because of the location of where they are. I don't know if I can crawl under that desk anymore.

It's almost tempting to buy that one on EBay but it is a lot of money to spend when I can probably replay this one if I just wasn't so lazy! Thank you for pointing me there.

Re: Blackstone Chronicles - 07/07/15 08:09 PM

Well, I kept mulling it over and went for the EBay purchase. (Yesterday actually - I didn't mull too long.) I'm really feeling like replaying the game but still not feeling like messing with my old computers. He emailed me saying that he included the game Amber: Journey's End but I can't find anything with that title. I find Amber: Journey's Beyond which sounds good. Think that's what he meant?
Posted By: Collector

Re: Blackstone Chronicles - 07/12/15 06:43 AM

If it is "Amber: Journey's Beyond" jafa has a new installer for it. http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/amber/index.html

Re: Blackstone Chronicles - 07/12/15 04:08 PM

Thanks Collector. If that is the game, I won't need an installer. This seller includes what is needed to play old games on newer systems.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community