GB HOMEPAGE

internet connection on new computer

Posted By: oldbroad

internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 02:20 AM

So, I just spent about 10 hours setting up this new computer from Ecollege. Had to take the side off to take some Styrofoam out. The side was VERY hard to put back on. Connected it all up and the fan on the side wasn't working so I had to open it up again. The plug had come out probably because I had so much trouble closing it up. No easier the second time.

My problem now is my internet connection. First I couldn't get one at all. Now I finally have one, sort of. It goes in and out and is so, so slow, I will not really be able to use it. I can't find where to tell what version of Internet Explorer it is but it looks somewhat different than what is on this computer, which is 11 I believe.

I don't know if I have it hooked up right. I have AT&T U-Verse and have a Motorola thing and a Linksys E1000. I have what I think is an Ethernet cable from the Linksys to the new computer. It had no connection but I managed to connect it with this computer I'm on now. As stated, very slow and goes in and out. Also, I think it slowed this connection down a little now too. When I had my XP hooked up in the same spot, I didn't have a problem with it being slow like this, however, with that I also had phone lines going in and out of it and my printer which I cannot do with this computer as there are no phone line thingies. So there was the Ethernet connection and a phone connection. (Just mentioning that, don't know if it means anything with my problem here now.)

Also, in my device manager there is something called Ethernet Controller which has a yellow exclamation point next to it. It says there are no drivers installed for it so I tried to update but it found none and it doesn't show a name. ?? Not sure what this means either.

Any suggestions in simple terms?

Thank you.

And now, I can't get my phone working. I know it has to do with the hook-up I had for the XP. Without it plugged in there, I don't have the phone connection and I don't know how to get it!
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 04:07 AM

Quote:
I have what I think is an Ethernet cable from the Linksys to the new computer.

Sounds to me like you've connected wirelessly, which would explain why it seems so much slower.

Quote:
Also, in my device manager there is something called Ethernet Controller which has a yellow exclamation point next to it. It says there are no drivers installed for it so I tried to update but it found none and it doesn't show a name. ?? Not sure what this means either.

You'll need to locate the drivers, it's probably an integrated controller - do you know which one they built your PC with? If you can identify it, we can locate them on the manufacturer's web site.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 04:17 AM

I'm trying to have the internet on both computers. I may just be setting it up wrong. I don't know.

I have something called a Rosewill 2.4 GHz Wireless N PCI-E Adaptor RNX-N150PCe if that's what you mean. I see they installed the driver for that though. It shows in my installed programs, clearly states driver.

And I totally lost the connection again and can't seem to get it back, but I did figure out the phone thing anyway.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 04:22 AM

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
I'm trying to have the internet on both computers. I may just be setting it up wrong. I don't know.

I have something called a Rosewill 2.4 GHz Wireless N PCI-E Adaptor RNX-N150PCe if that's what you mean. I see they installed the driver for that though. It shows in my installed programs, clearly states driver.

Yes, that would be the wireless adapter. If you've got the PC cabled to the router we'd need to know which motherboard you've got in order to point you to the drivers. You do have a cable from the router to the PC correct?

Edit -

If you don't know which motherboard you have, there is an alternative way to identify the hardware. The link below is from Toshiba, but applies to all PC's running Windows 7 or above.

How to identify an unknown device

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 05:20 AM

Well, isn't the Ethernet cable I mentioned above, that goes from the Linksys to the computer, what you're asking about when you say "you do have a cable from the router to the PC correct"?

The motherboard is Gigabyte Ultra Durable GA-Z97X-SLI

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 05:38 AM

Well, isn't the Ethernet cable I mentioned above, that goes from the Linksys to the computer, what you're asking about when you say "you do have a cable from the router to the PC correct"?

The motherboard is Gigabyte Ultra Durable GA-Z97X-SLI

Just making sure I wasn't misunderstanding you smile

You've got an IntelĀ® GbE LAN chip - follow the link below and install their Update Utility. It will locate and install the appropriate drivers.

Driver Update Utility

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 06:01 AM

You have to make sure with me Inland because I rarely & barely know what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff. I was assuming the Linksys is the router but not 100% sure and not sure if I needed something else connected also.

OK, so, now I have to get an internet connection again though so I can follow the link you posted. I will try to do that tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks much!

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 06:03 AM

Let us know how it works out smile
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 03:33 PM

Since the PC is from EcollegePC, you should have gotten all the driver and OS disks that come with it. You could try using the motherboard driver disk to install the drivers from there.

The other thing to do is contact Mike at EcollegePC - they are really good about helping you out.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 03:44 PM

If you're connecting to wireless and you're not using a wireless router, you're probably connecting to someone else's wireless router -- which is why it's especially slow -- long distance to the wireless router means slower connection.

I'd disable the wireless if you're not going to use it.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 05:21 PM

Thanks Draclvr. I know Mike installed all the drivers. I already asked him about all the driver discs.

Jenny100 - I think what you are saying is a major part of the problem. I don't actually have "wireless". My problem though is that I want the new computer connected to the internet with some kind of usable speed while keeping this older computer hooked up to it also. I had my XP hooked up through this router but with phone jacks also and it worked fine and this computer did too. I cannot hook phone jacks up in the new computer though and it seems that may be part of the problem. I can't see any other difference than that phone jack. I have an external modem that I am going to try so I can hopefully hook to the phone also. Otherwise it is just that Ethernet cable and I don't think that's enough. I haven't yet gone on the new computer to try anything today.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 06:11 PM

A phone jack would be dial up not Ethernet - I would call EcollegePC and ask them where your LAN drivers are.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 06:19 PM

Oldbroad may have mistaken an Ethernet jack for a phone jack, since they look similar except for width.
Oldbroad, this site has a picture comparing the two
http://www.resnet.wvu.edu/setup/setup1.html

Oldbroad,
If your computer has the Rosewill 2.4 GHz Wireless N PCI-E Adaptor RNX-N150PCe you mentioned, it has wireless capability. Just because you don't have a wireless router doesn't mean your computer's wireless card won't try to find a wireless signal somewhere nearby. If one of your neighbors doesn't have a password on their wireless router, there's nothing to stop your computer from connecting. I don't think this is something you want it to be doing, so I'd recommend disabling the Rosewill 2.4 GHz in Device Manager.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 06:33 PM

When I saw the specs for this new computer I questioned the wireless adapter as I knew she uses a direct ethernet connection and said the wireless adapter was not necessary.

I suspect the wireless adapter is picking up a signal and that she is connecting to that instead of using her direct ethernet connection.

Oldbroad, you do not want to connect any phone lines to this new computer and couldn't if you wanted to. Check out that link from Jenny about the difference between an ethernet connection and a phone connection.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Oldbroad may have mistaken an Ethernet jack for a phone jack, since they look similar except for width.
Oldbroad, this site has a picture comparing the two
http://www.resnet.wvu.edu/setup/setup1.html

Oldbroad,
If your computer has the Rosewill 2.4 GHz Wireless N PCI-E Adaptor RNX-N150PCe you mentioned, it has wireless capability. Just because you don't have a wireless router doesn't mean your computer's wireless card won't try to find a wireless signal somewhere nearby. If one of your neighbors doesn't have a password on their wireless router, there's nothing to stop your computer from connecting. I don't think this is something you want it to be doing, so I'd recommend disabling the Rosewill 2.4 GHz in Device Manager.

She said she had a Linksys E1000 - so I'm very confused at this point. smile

Edit -

If you must use another PC to download the drivers - point yourself to the link below. Choose your OS and then peruse to: Intel LAN Driver

GA-Z97X-SLI Drivers

Copy it to a jump drive and install it on your new PC.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 07:17 PM

I'm confused too. I know the difference between the Ethernet and phone jacks. The phone connection though is the only difference I have between the XP that hooked up fine and the Win 7.

Maybe I am just not explaining myself right? I am trying to hook up one DSL phone/internet connection to 2 different computers using one modem and router which are not wireless. Does this change/explain anything differently?

My phone has a splitter thing, phone cord in one jack and green cord in the other. The green cord goes to my modem. There is a blue cord from my modem to my router. There is a yellow cord from my router to my (working)Win 7. There is a black cord on each that I think are to the power supply but everything is so tangled up I'm just guessing at that. The phone jack from the splitter was somehow connected between my answering machine, my printer, and my XP and when I went from dial up to DSL it all seemed to work so I kept everything intact. I hooked a grey cord from the Linksys to the new computer. (Cord being Ethernet).

Computer 1 shows Wireless Internet Connection RubyFish: DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card; Wireless Internet Connection 2: not connected - Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter

Computer 2 shows the same except the different wireless adapter. (If this means anything.) Do I need to set up Connection 2?

I guess the reason Drac, that I went for the wireless adapter is so I'd be prepared if I go wireless. I did hook up the external modem and I do have a connection now. IE came up pretty fast but trying to bring GameBoomers up was not happening. I plugged the phone jack into an Ethernet jack on my Linksys.

Here are some things I probably need to know:

Should I still try updating the driver that Inland linked me to?

How do I disable the wireless adapter? Just uninstall it? And how will that help me get connected with my DSL line?

Do I need to hook up a RubyFish network or something between the 2 computers? If so, how? I had it yesterday but lost it.

I think I have another modem and router. Does that help me in any way? Keep in mind though I only have the 1 phone jack!

Do any of you know what would be involved in going wireless instead?

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 07:54 PM

If your modem has the Linksys E1000 hung off of it, then you have the ability to connect wirelessly. The Ethernet cable from the router to the new PC can't be used until you install the new PC's LAN driver.

If you can connect wirelessly with the new PC you can download the LAN driver directly from GIGABYTE (it's in my previous post). Once you install them you can disable the wireless connection and use your PC's LAN for internet access.

Here's a how-to for wireless connections -

How to connect to wifi

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 08:10 PM

Quote:
I did hook up the external modem and I do have a connection now. IE came up pretty fast but trying to bring GameBoomers up was not happening. I plugged the phone jack into an Ethernet jack on my Linksys.

DO make sure you are not connecting a phone jack to an Ethernet jack - they are not the same.

And after oldbroad said she had a Linsys E1000, I was also very confused! If she is wireless, then she doesn't need an ethernet cable plugged into the back of the computer. If she is wireless, then she just needs to set up her wireless connection on the new computer.

First, find that Gigabyte motherboard driver disk EcollegePC and install the LAN driver if necessary. If there is a later driver, the link Inland gave you should work.

To go wireless, you will first need to send an internet signal from your modem to the Linksys100 wireless router with an ethernet cable - not a phone cable. You might have to contact your DSL provider to be sure you are getting everything hooked up right. Then you would allow your new computer to "find" the signal. If you've never set up the wireless router before, then you will need to do it now. Find your users manual because you will probably have to set up a password and a few other things.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 08:17 PM

I'm sure glad I'm not the only one confused here Drac - I was getting worried about myself )

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 08:20 PM

Me too! crazy

Hey, could you please check your PM on another matter?

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 08:41 PM

The Linksys E1000 has ethernet ports as well as Wireless capability.
Specifically ***this picture of the ethernet ports***

I assume Oldbroad wasn't using the wireless capability, but it may still be on by default -- and if so, it probably has no password and anyone within range can connect to her router.

This is the Rosewill card Oldbroad mentioned earlier
***Newegg picture of Rosewill RNS-N150***.

Oldbroad, do you see that Rosewill card with the antenna on the back of your computer?
It may or may not have the antenna attached. The antenna probably screws on. The antenna may have been detached for shipping, but you should have received it with your computer.

Quote:
How do I disable the wireless adapter? Just uninstall it? And how will that help me get connected with my DSL line?

Disable it in Device Manager. You could also pull it out of the computer if you wanted to, but disabling it is good enough -- especially if you think you're going to use wireless some day.

If you have Windows 8, there are instructions here
http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/os-windows-8-ipv4-enable-network-adapter.html

If you don't want to use the wireless, you should make sure the wireless functionality in the E1000 is disabled.

If you do decide to use the wireless functionality of the E1000, you should put a password on it. Otherwise anyone nearby could connect to your router and use your Internet service.

Quote:
Do I need to hook up a RubyFish network or something between the 2 computers? If so, how? I had it yesterday but lost it.

If both computers are connected to the same router (the E1000) by ethernet cables, then you don't need to hook anything else up. If you want them to share files with each other, you have to set up the sharing permissions in Windows.

What motherboard does the computer have? Nearly all motherboards have an ethernet port.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 09:10 PM

Now I'm on information overload.

I set this up 4 years ago and don't remember how it all works. I need to look for the instructions and try to back track.

I'm confused about the wireless and non-wireless. My current computer shows the connection as using the wireless card. I'm sure I followed instructions when I set it up and I haven't had any problems so I'm assuming it is ok.

Just hooking the Ethernet cable up to the router did not help. That was the first thing I did.

Let me look around and see what else I find.

Thank you all very much. I will be back.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 09:52 PM

Just hooking the Ethernet cable up to the router did not help. That was the first thing I did.

Then I'd suspect the drivers for the ethernet card aren't installed or need updating. If the ethernet port is on the motherboard, you'd look for the drivers on the motherboard manufacturer's website.

If you told eCollege to install a wireless card, they may have configured the computer to use the wireless card by default, and not bothered with installing drivers for the motherboard's onboard LAN. They may have even disabled the onboard LAN (ethernet) in the BIOS.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 09:58 PM

Are you ready for this??

I found a wireless key that I had to plug into my computer to link it to the router. It seems to be working much better now. I am on it right now. However, the GOG page does not come up properly. It doesn't have any pictures and some things are not in the right places. Gameboomers seems ok.

Where do I check the IE version again? I can't seem to find it.

I will still probably do Inland's thing and may be back to find out what else I need to do/change but I need to get my Norton on here!

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 10:55 PM

Wireless key? What in the world is that! In one of the builds you sent me, there was an ASUS USB Wireless Adapter listed.. is that it? This is what you sent me...
Quote:
ASUS USB-N10 Wireless B/G/N USB Adaptor

Or did the Rosewill wireless adapter have an antenna you needed to attach?

What is the resolution for your monitor?

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 11:03 PM

Where do I check the IE version again? I can't seem to find it.

From Microsoft's website...
***Which version of Internet Explorer am I using***

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
Wireless key? What in the world is that! In one of the builds you sent me, there was an ASUS USB Wireless Adapter listed.. is that it? This is what you sent me...
Quote:
ASUS USB-N10 Wireless B/G/N USB Adaptor

Or did the Rosewill wireless adapter have an antenna you needed to attach?

What is the resolution for your monitor?

I'm just guessing here - Her passphrase?

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 11:22 PM

Oh, maybe that's it! I took "plug into the computer" literally! My brain works much too linearly. Eek! Is that even a word?

You put Windows 7 Pro on this computer, so you will have IE 11.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 11:23 PM

Oh, maybe that's it! I took "plug into the computer" literally!

I also thought the "key" she was talking about was a physical object.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 11:24 PM

Now I don't feel so silly!

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 11:45 PM

ARGGHH. I just typed this out 2 times on the new computer and lost connection both times before I could get it to submit.

I managed to get Norton downloaded and installed but obviously it is still giving me problems.

The key is a USB "wireless key". When I originally installed the Cisco RubyFish Linksys it had me create this "key" to use in other computers that I wanted to connect with. So, on this old computer I opened up Cisco Connect and chose add a computer, then I put the "key" into the new computer to set it up. It did tell me 2 times that the password was incorrect even thought it wasn't, and when I tried to cancel out to look around some more just in case I was putting a wrong password in, it took it. It seemed to work okay until now, just a little slower and the GOG page doesn't come up right. I haven't really tried any other sites yet.

My screen resolution is 1980 x 1040 landscape. It is Windows Home, not Pro. Which is another thing, do I need to watch still about Windows 10??

I do have an antenna for the wireless card. Should I try to figure out how/where to hook it up?

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/10/15 11:52 PM

Definitely. It should just screw into the back of the wireless adapter card.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 01:39 AM

Inland, I followed your link and downloaded the Intel Lan Driver. I saved it to a disc and put the disc in the new computer. Now what? There's Autorun Application, Autorun Set Up Info, Autorun configuration, SILan Application, as well as some other things that don't look like they'd apply.

You can still answer the above in case I end up needing it, but meanwhile I used the disk provided by eCollege and the exclamation point is now gone and I'm connected again (for the time being anyway).

Any ideas on why GOG won't come up properly or suggestions to fix it? I tried some compatibility things under tools and page. Now it's not in English and I can't get it back. Can't access the sign in area and no pictures.

Jenny, I went to your link to find IE version but still don't know. I'd swear there is somewhere to right click and see it. Ah, found it under Help in the toolbar. This new computer has IE 8. Now to figure out how to update it to 11 like in my other computer. Maybe that will fix GOG!

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 03:26 AM

Any ideas on why GOG won't come up properly or suggestions to fix it? I tried some compatibility things under tools and page. Now it's not in English and I can't get it back.

What was weird is that I just went there and it was in German.
I reloaded the page and it was in English.
I think they are working on their website.

If Firefox doesn't work for you at GOG, try Opera or Chrome.

Quote:
Can't access the sign in area and no pictures.

I did get the Log In to come up but it was slow to appear. I think they're working on the website.
I don't want to log in while they're fiddling with it.

Quote:
Now to figure out how to update it to 11 like in my other computer. Maybe that will fix GOG!

Use Windows Update. New versions of IE will be listed there.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 03:40 AM

YAY! I now have IE 11 on this computer and GOG looks like it should! And so far, my internet on here has been stable since I used the motherboard install disc. I specifically emailed Mike at eCollege about the discs and was told everything was installed but....

I hope it still works tomorrow.

Thank you Jenny100, InlandAZ, and Draclvr for all of your help!!

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 04:30 AM

Great news! Of course it will work tomorrow!

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 04:37 AM

OK, changing gears. Plugged my speakers in to the sound card. Went to the adventure board and watched (listened) to a couple of game trailers that were on YouTube. That was fine. However, the Hidden one is on Steam. It would not play. I tried some other game at random on Steam. Also would not play. What's that about? This is just through Gameboomers. I have not downloaded Steam to this computer yet. They do work on my other computer.

Also, regarding the Windows updates. Do I need to worry that Windows 10 is going to download on me tonight while I sleep? I could not for the life of me find where to change it from auto to manual updating.

And, is there only one place to plug your monitor in? Or could I have it in the wrong place?

Sorry I am being such a pest!

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 04:54 AM

Are you talking about the video on the Steam page here?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/352580

That's not using YouTube.
It looks like it's a webm video.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webm
Maybe you need a plug-in.

Check the last post (by "smonn") on this page
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21124885/html5-video-not-working-in-ie-11
He said this helped
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40744

Quote:
Also, regarding the Windows updates. Do I need to worry that Windows 10 is going to download on me tonight while I sleep? I could not for the life of me find where to change it from auto to manual updating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buj19hWk1Gk
or
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/window...ically-3424920/

For a permanent fix, you'll need to run Windows update manually and choose to "hide" KB3035583 because that's the one that tells Windows to install Windows 10.
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1020349/2
Quote:
And, is there only one place to plug your monitor in? Or could I have it in the wrong place?

If your motherboard has onboard video, then yes you could have both the onboard video and the video card.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 05:11 AM

Yes, Jenny. That is the Steam video. I know it is not YouTube. I was saying that I watched some other ones on YouTube which worked, but the Steam Videos are not. How/where do I get a plug-in? What is it?

Shoot, I don't know if the monitor is plugged in the right place then. It looks like the mother board to me not a video card. It is where all the USB ports are and the colored (I guess OnBoard) sound things are. I don't see anywhere else to plug the monitor in though. There are 2 other things there that both seem to say DVD or DVsomethingD on the side of them. Are the Optional drives in the back like that though? They have different connector than the blue pin one I'm using. I really wish they would put the name of the parts on the parts! One of those 2 things also has some other slots in it. Don't know what they are.

This is too much for my brain.

This is Windows 7, not 8. Your links are all for 8. In my old computer I found where to deal with the updates but this one seems to be a little different for some reason. Whew, found it and set it to download but let me choose whether to install. YIKES! There's 131 updates coming through.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 05:42 AM

According to the specs you sent me, you also got an ATI Radeon R9 390X video card. The connection cable from your monitor will need to match up to one of the video ports on the video card. It has two DVI ports. So if your monitor cable is not a DVI, then you won't be able to use your very expensive video card. Does your monitor support the DVI connection?

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 05:45 AM

I don't know which thing is the video card and I don't know if I received a DVI cable with the monitor or not. I am calling it a night but will try to sort this out tomorrow. I was pretty sure when I purchased that they would play well together.

They should both have HDMI connectors according to my invoice. I guess that is not the blue connector. I hope I can find it. I put all my extra cables in a plastic baggie and don't know what goes with what. I'll have to look for a picture of it.

Well the monitor pamphlet shows the HDMI and DVI cables as optional. That rather stinks. I guess I can buy one right? Which would be better? Actually I think I have a DVI cable. It has 9 pins, a space, 9 pins, and a plug thing. Is that what I need? I probably received it with some other monitor I bought.

Well, there is no DVI connection on the monitor so why does it show in the manual? There is a HDMI slot as well as the VGA or whatever the blue one is called. Drac, can you verify for me about the card having HDMI as well as DVI. It looks to me like it does. And then, can you point me to the right cable to buy? I see some at Amazon but are they for monitor to video card or are they for some other use? The 6 foot ones I think.

One more time. I was finally able to make out that one of the other 2 slots does say HDMI. I don't know what the other one is. I also emailed Mike to confirm. Will this work: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-...ords=hdmi+cable or is this for something else?

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 02:17 PM

I don't know which thing is the video card

This picture shows the back of a computer.
http://z8.invisionfree.com/ComputerHelp/ar/t768.htm
The upper red-circled area would be where the onboard video would be located.
The lower red-circled area would be where the video card would be located.
This example has a video card with both a DVI (white) port and a VGA (blue) port.

If your monitor only has a VGA connection, then you'll need an adapter. You might ask eCollege if they sent an adapter. They look like the one in this auction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180585530288

If you have a choice of DVI and VGA, DVI usually gives a better picture.

Quote:
Well the monitor pamphlet shows the HDMI and DVI cables as optional.

Usually the cables are supplied with the monitor, not the video card.

Quote:
Actually I think I have a DVI cable. It has 9 pins, a space, 9 pins, and a plug thing. Is that what I need? I probably received it with some other monitor I bought.

Does it look like the one in this auction?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191585367472

If you decide to use the HDMI or display port, make sure your monitor has connections for those.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 02:52 PM

The Monitor has VGA and HDMI only event though the pamphlet also shows DVI as optional.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 03:11 PM

The Monitor has VGA and HDMI only even though the pamphlet also shows DVI as optional.

The monitor probably came with a VGA cable then -- which won't do you much good if your video card looks like ***this one***.

Did you find the DVI cable you were thinking of -- the one with "9 pins, a space, 9 pins, and a plug thing?" Did you try plugging it into the DVI connection on the video card to see if it would work?

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 03:11 PM

Assuming you DID get the high end video card - the Radeon R9 390X - this might be what it looks like in the back. It has two DVI connections, an HDMI and a Display Port for plugging in a monitor. Yours may not look exactly like this one and may look more like the one Jenny linked to because I don't know what brand EcollegePC used, but it should be similar.

Radeon R9 390X

Your monitor probably only come with a VGA cable. Somehow, as Jenny says above, you will need to have a cable that will match the port on your monitor with one of the ports on the video card. Otherwise you will have paid over $400 for a video card which you cannot use.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 03:21 PM

Otherwise you will have paid over $400 for a video card which you cannot use.

Nah. Just need the proper cable -- or an adapter.
Even if your cable looks like this, with the spaces between the sets of 9 pins
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191585367472

that doesn't mean it won't work with a video card that appears to have more pin holes, like
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61X9Y8zQVpL._SL1200_.jpg

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 03:46 PM

They both have HDMI. Can I not use that? Is the Amazon link I posted above ok for this

Drac, the extra cost for the card upgrade was less than what the monitor cost.

I did not test the DVI cable in the card since the monitor does not have DVI. It is 9 pins with a space; the card does not have spaces.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 03:49 PM

They both have HDMI. Can I not use that? Is the Amazon link I posted above ok for this

As far as I know.

Quote:
I did not test the DVI cable in the card since the monitor does not have DVI. It is 9 pins with a space; the card does not have spaces.

The spaces don't matter.
My video card's DVI port looks the same as the one in Draclvr's Amazon picture -- and works with a cable with the space between the sets of 9 pins. Not all pins are used.

If you want to spend extra money on a HDMI cable, that's up to you.
But the DVI cable you have would probably work fine.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 03:55 PM

But I can't hook the DVI cable to my monitor. It is only VGA and HDMI. Or am I missing something here? I did originally say I thought it had DVI because the pamphlet says DVI optional but upon actually looking at the monitor it does NOT have a DVI connection.

Are HDMI cables used for anything else? That is why I'm asking if those Amazon ones are what I need for this. Are there different types?

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 04:29 PM

That is the issue I was referring to - you must have a cable that matches your monitor and your video card or you can't use it. Since your monitor doesn't have DVI, you MUST get an HDMI cable as that's the only interface that you have on both the video card and the monitor. That HDMI cable you linked to on Amazon is fine.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 04:57 PM

Thanks for confirming the HDMI cable on Amazon is fine. I will purchase right now.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 05:38 PM

Except that is a two-pack of HDMI cables and you only need one.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 05:48 PM

Or is this one better? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019EH...=A1DCPNQKKEISZB

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 06:17 PM

Looks good to me!

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 06:24 PM

But is one better than the other. I am looking at specs etc but I don't understand any of it. I think one says HDMI1 1.4 and one says 2.0. Don't know what that means. One says transfer rate of 18Gbps; can't find transfer rate on the other.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 08:15 PM

Not going to lie - I have no idea. Maybe this will help???

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 08:34 PM

Thank you so much! It kind of did but not in helping me understand it better. I went for the MediaBridge one as a certified whatever it said. It just sounded a little better somehow but both of them had great reviews anyway. I probably should have looked around here some more while waiting for you to reply. I might have found one but it would have been old.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 08:46 PM

I'm curious what model monitor has VGA and HDMI ports but no DVI.
Usually it's the VGA port that is missing on modern monitors.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 08:51 PM

I found that odd too, but here are the specs for the monitor she told me she purchased - sure enough...

Acer G237HL

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 09:22 PM

That's it although mine doesn't seem to tilt, and was more expensive. I suppose I could have moved the Dell I'm using now to the new computer and put that one here. I think this Dell has DVI. It's kind of beat up though.

Is HDMI no good? Don't worry about bursting my bubble. We're way past that already!

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 10:14 PM

Is HDMI no good?

HDMI is OK.
I actually use it on one of my monitors that has two computers attached -- the older computer uses the DVI port and the newer computer (the one with Windows 8.1) uses the HDMI port. And I used an inexpensive HDMI cable from Amazon -- actually it was a cable I'd bought for my TV as a spare.

HDMI cables have been used with TV's for some years now.

I just didn't want you to buy a cable if you didn't need one.
I've never seen a monitor that had a VGA and HDMI port but no DVI port before.
My two newest monitors have HDMI, DVI, and Display ports but no VGA port.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 10:27 PM

HDMI is great! It carries sound and video and is fine. It's just odd that a new monitor would have the old VGA port and not a DVI, but this one sure does.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/11/15 11:10 PM

Great. Thanks Again!

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/12/15 03:37 AM

HDMI is great! It carries sound and video and is fine. It's just odd that a new monitor would have the old VGA port and not a DVI, but this one sure does.

Yep, I dumped DVI sometime ago - the fewer cables I have to keep track of the better.

Re: internet connection on new computer - 08/12/15 04:36 AM

Thanks Inland!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community