GB HOMEPAGE

Browser Hijacker

Posted By: Terri824

Browser Hijacker - 08/10/15 02:22 AM

I have a browser hijacker when I use Firefox. I do remember doing something yesterday that had to do with "plug in container". Now, I've run everything after uninstalling Firefox and it removed several items but if I reinstall Firefox I end up with the same problem again. Is there anything I can do other than getting rid of Firefox totally?
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/10/15 03:55 AM

Malwarebytes ought to do the trick - Malwarebytes Download

Get the freeware version, and pay attention to anything else it might want to install. IIRC it had a few unwanted items it would install.

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/10/15 04:24 AM

Thanks Inland. That was the one thing that I had not run when I posted earlier and did run it. I think that did the trick!
I ran everything else and had so much "[blip]" on the pc (adware, software bundles, Trojans pups) one big mess after another.
I seem to be so good at getting myself into trouble, so glad you guys are here to help me dig my way out! penguin

I didn't know I couldn't use the Cra_ word.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/10/15 04:34 AM

Neither did I smile

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/10/15 04:56 AM

Darn, we both learned something new today.
Posted By: Collector

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/10/15 05:05 AM

Hijackers and other browser malware usually resides in the user's app data folder. For Firefox that is "C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles". If you uninstall Firefox this folder and its contents remains. So if you reinstall it will reuse the profile folder with its infection. Note that some of the more elusive malware can hide/copy itself in other places and reinfect, so Inland's recommendation of running a scan is still important.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/10/15 03:28 PM

You might want to consider running Malwarebytes at least once a week to keep this stuff from accumulating. It can really slow your computer down too.

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/10/15 05:14 PM

Ok Boomers, thanks so much for the help and heads-up! I do appreciate it. praise

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/11/15 12:10 AM

I was looking up something on Prussia and got a window saying that I could not use that page bacause I had a virus or trojan and I needed to call a number that they gave. My question is, could this be part of the Hijacker problem or is this another one? I think it said Microsoft, and that type I've gotten before, it seems something about this one was different.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/11/15 01:39 AM

Terri, I am not an expert but I'm pretty sure that is malware. Hopefully the experts will know more.

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/11/15 03:34 AM

Thanks L4L. I do need to rerun the Malwarebytes completely and will try to do that tomorrow. wave

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/11/15 05:49 AM

Also try the ESET Online Scanner. I have had it catch things that most other ones miss.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner-popup/

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/11/15 03:30 PM

Collector, for some reason I can't get that online scanner to work, not with the link or from the website. I'll try again later. wave

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/11/15 06:49 PM

I ran ESET online scanner on Firefox, I tried on IE and thought the reason it might not have worked is because I have to use IE9, cannot update. Anyway, it found VBS/kryptik dy trojan very quickly and automatically removed it. I showed the target to be Adw Cleaner\quartantine\users\terri\appd. Now I am wondering since I've sent out emails would it have the trojan infection? Also even though it removed it, should I uninstall and reinstall later when I need it?
Thanks Collector for the info.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/11/15 08:17 PM

That path shows that AdwCleaner had already found and quarantined it. So, no problem.

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/15/15 06:29 AM

Terri, just leave installed for the next time you might need it.

Re: Browser Hijacker - 08/16/15 04:01 PM

Yes Collector, that one I actually found myself on bleeping computers a year or so ago and it is definitely a keeper. I haven't found anything that works as well as AdwCleaner!
Terri wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community