GB HOMEPAGE

Need Help from a Chrome User Please

Posted By: Mad

Need Help from a Chrome User Please - 12/01/15 04:03 AM

Hi.

After finding out I could disable auto updates and resort to manual updates, I decided to install Chrome (again) for another try with it - this time on my Win7 machine - and all seemed to go OK.

However, during some of the security stuff I was requested to give a mobile number.
I don't want to give my mobile number but wasn't allowed to leave the box blank, so I entered my landline number, after which I was told I'd been sent an SMS message bearing a code which I had to type into another box on screen.

I have no idea what an SMS message is OR where to look for one woozy
[I couldn't find anything on my phone.]
Can anyone please help ??

Also ....
Although my password was accepted, I am getting a message which says :
"Please update your sync passphrase".

What is a "sync passphrase" ??
Can anyone please also assist with that ??

[At Chrome itself I can't find anything but pre-set support questions - when what a dumb person like me really needs is an email address I can use to ask for help !!]

Cheers.

Mad duh

Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Need Help from a Chrome User Please - 12/01/15 04:16 AM

All that just to install a web browser?
Where did you download it from?
It sounds like you downloaded something to set up some sort of service or Google account rather than just the browser itself.

I admit I haven't installed Chrome recently, but I don't remember being asked all that when I installed it a year ago.

Originally Posted By: Mad
What is a "sync passphrase" ??
Can anyone please also assist with that ??

I assume it's a passphrase for syncing your computer with your Android tablet.

If you cancel out of all that extra stuff, do you still have the web browser installed?

SMS -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS

The Google website is a mess.
Maybe you could download an old version from
http://www.oldapps.com/google_chrome.php
or
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/google-chrome/
and then update it.

You can tell Google what you think of them here
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/126299?hl=en

Re: Need Help from a Chrome User Please - 12/01/15 04:39 AM

Hi Jenny100 smile

Thanks for such a fast response. And thanks, also, for those info links yes

I downloaded direct from Google. And if I ignore the bumph, yes[u][/u], I do still have use of the browser.

So, I'll just carry on using it.
[I've checked that my Norton 360 covers it OK.]

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Mad thumbsup
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Need Help from a Chrome User Please - 12/01/15 04:43 AM

I couldn't find a working link to an offline installer at Google.
All the old links to the offline installers at Google got redirected.
What a mess.

Seems like my gmail account, which keeps nagging me for a mobile phone number when I don't have a working mobile phone.

Re: Need Help from a Chrome User Please - 12/01/15 05:51 AM

Yes. My gmail account keeps asking me for my mobile number too. But I'm not giving it snicker
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Need Help from a Chrome User Please - 12/01/15 06:13 AM

Yes, I get those da*ned requests all the time too. I choose to not give out ANY phone numbers, so I just close the annoying screen. I manage a website and we have Google Docs and I get it all the time. Grrr.... Same with my Gmail account.

I've uninstalled Chrome from at least 4 machines because it gets so annoying for the people. Be sure to run CCleaner on the registry if you do and then maybe try downloading again. This time when it asks for a phone number of any kind, just close the window or say no or later or whatever it asks.

Re: Need Help from a Chrome User Please - 12/01/15 07:13 AM

I've never found a way to say "no" so I just close the screen and carry on laugh
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Need Help from a Chrome User Please - 12/01/15 07:39 AM

Me either... I just close them and cuss a little every time because they are so annoying!
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Need Help from a Chrome User Please - 12/01/15 01:58 PM

Same thing here...even yahoo ( I know you don't like yahoo Drac) they keep asking for phone to text me .... I don't text! it is turned off on my phone. on mine at the bottom there is a skip it for now button.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community