GB HOMEPAGE

The Young Socratics: Odyssey

Posted By: oldbroad

The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/07/17 04:51 AM

I downloaded this game and unzipped it but when I click on the .exe file to install the game it just opens the game to play. What am I doing wrong?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/07/17 06:20 AM

As long as it lets you save, don't worry about not having to go through an installation process.
Some games don't need an "installation" and all you need do is unzip them and make a desktop shortcut to the game exe.

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/08/17 01:44 AM

OK. I didn't play the game at all. Hopefully this weekend I'll give it a go and see if it saves.

Thanks Jenny!

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/09/17 05:19 AM

The game auto saves. I got out of it and went back in and all is well.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/09/17 10:23 AM

Oldbroad I'm playing too. I just started. So far it is beautiful!

The word auto save shows in the top right of the screen when you reach a save point. It appears only briefly. Have fun!

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/09/17 04:38 PM

Yes, thanks Kaki's Sister. I saw that. I had been concerned because the game didn't install, it just opened up to play. Jenny said as long as it saves, not to worry about it so I just came back to let her know it was okay. Did it install on your computer?
Posted By: sanford

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/21/17 02:43 AM

Hi Oldbroad,
Can you tell us from where you downloaded this game? Sounds interesting.
Sandy

OK found it on STEAM
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/21/17 02:49 AM

It's available on Steam, Sandy:

Odyssey

It's also available from HeR Interactive, but I wouldn't recommend that as a first choice, as the download service they work with has a restrictive download policy that others here have complained about. We recently had a giveaway for this game and gave 5 free copies to 5 lucky winners; hence the posts you are seeing about the game. smile
Posted By: sanford

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/21/17 02:52 AM

Thanks for your valued input, Marian. I DID find it on STEAM, after all.
Sandy

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/21/17 03:00 AM

You are most welcome, Sandy. Happy gaming. smile

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/21/17 03:12 AM

Yes Sandy, I was one of the lucky winners so my download is through Her Interactive which uses Digital River to download. If I were purchasing, I would go through Steam.
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/22/17 06:06 AM

Is the Her Interactive download DRM-free?

What are download restrictions?

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/22/17 06:15 AM

With HeR Interactive/Digital River, I believe that you have 30 days to download the game and that's it, unless you also purchase an "extended download policy" for six more dollars which gives you an additional two years. I don't remember all of the exact details, but it's lousy (the specifics are online), and a few folks here have complained about it.

I know folks who bought several games from them, their computers crashed, and they lost all their games because their window for downloading had expired. Digital River is in charge of the HeR Interactive downloads, and honestly I don't know how they get away with policies like this when you consider the alternatives offered from other services like Steam, GOG, and Big Fish.

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/22/17 04:26 PM

Does the Her Interactive download version require Steam?

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/22/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Reg

Does the Her Interactive download version require Steam?

The Nancy Drew digital downloads from Digital River do not direct you to Steam. I am pretty sure this is the case with Odyssey as well, but hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/23/17 02:49 AM

Uncle Reg, Marian is right that Steam is not involved in the download of Odyssey from Her Interactive/Digital River.

The extended download policy is good for 5 years according to the FAQ on Her Interactive.

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/23/17 05:48 AM

Thanks for the info, Marian and oldbroad.

I went for it. Just got it running. Looks pretty good.

Is this going to be similar to the old Physicus game? I really enjoyed that one.

Re: The Young Socratics: Odyssey - 09/23/17 07:36 AM

I never played Physicus so I can't answer that. Sorry. I hope you enjoy the game.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community