GB HOMEPAGE

Burning downloaded game to disc

Posted By: kazzmo

Burning downloaded game to disc - 10/26/17 02:17 AM

I bought REAH from GOG and would like to burn a physical copy. The game is too large for one disc. The game has a Setup exe., setup 1 bin, setup 2 bin and manuals. I asked GOG how to do this, but never received an answer. When I ask the question on line the sites assume I have pirated something and their explanation makes no sense to me. Can I burn the three set ups to three different disc and install from my three disc? GOG told me once I could burn all the games to disc, I love having physical copies of my games. I have a big box of REAH and would like to put my disc in the box. I would appreciate any help.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Burning downloaded game to disc - 10/26/17 02:25 AM

Look at the sizes of the files:

setup_reah_1.0_(15591)-1.bin_________4 GB
setup_reah_1.0_(15591)-2.bin_________626.9 MB
setup_reah_1.0_(15591).exe___________835.6 KB
reah_manual_en_de_fr_nl_it_es.zip____16.6 MB

A single layer DVD should hold 4.7 GB
You should be able to fit everything on two DVD's.

setup_reah_1.0_(15591)-1.bin on one DVD
and the rest of the files on another.

Re: Burning downloaded game to disc - 10/26/17 03:48 AM

Jenny100, Thank you very much. I will give this a go. After I burn the DVD's, do I put the one with the exe in first or does it matter which disc is first when I go to install the game?

Re: Burning downloaded game to disc - 10/26/17 03:50 AM

You should copy everything on both DVD's to a folder on your hard drive before installing. The installer isn't designed so it knows which DVD to call for, and assumes all files are in the same place.

Re: Burning downloaded game to disc - 10/26/17 04:49 AM

Jenny100, Thank you again. I can now play REAH, it has been a long time.
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: Burning downloaded game to disc - 10/26/17 01:24 PM

This is an interesting project! I thought I'd try it with the US CD_Rom version which was sold on 6 CDs.
The contents of all 6 CDs were copied into a hard disk folder. Then that was burned onto a DVD. The game installs correctly and then will play using the DVD.

Of course the files obtained from the CDs are quite different from those in the GOG version.

Robert

Re: Burning downloaded game to disc - 10/26/17 06:52 PM

I don't know if there was a difference between the original DVD version and the CD version other than that it was on a single DVD rather than 6 CD's.

It's interesting that the files for the original game fit on a single DVD while the GOG version does not (at least it didn't for kazzmo).

Since 4 GB + 626.9 MB + 835.6 KB + 16.6 MB seems to be slightly less than the 4.7 GB that most DVD+R's claim to be capable of holding, I wonder if the problem was related to something other than the total size of the files.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community