Where the "bleep" is my Oblivion data file?

Posted by: hagatha

Where the "bleep" is my Oblivion data file? - 11/05/17 06:49 PM

I need to extract a file from Nexus into my Oblivion data folder on a Win 7 64 laptop.

Problem is, I cannot find it anywhere on my computer. I've got extensions set to show, so it isn't that. Internet searches lead me to solutions that are unhelpful (i.e. to look for a Bethesda folder in my Programs 86 file -- there is no such folder).

Going nuts, here. This file is a fix for a major bug and I'm at my wits end. Any help appreciated
Posted by: Draclvr

Re: Where the "bleep" is my Oblivion data file? - 11/05/17 08:59 PM

Did you try looking in the "plain" Programs file without the X86? Did you try searching the computer for Bethesda?
Posted by: Marian

Re: Where the "bleep" is my Oblivion data file? - 11/05/17 09:02 PM

Did you try looking here:

C:/Documents and Settings/My Documents/My Games/Oblivion

Googling found a post that says this is the default.
Posted by: Jenny100

Re: Where the "bleep" is my Oblivion data file? - 11/05/17 09:20 PM

If you have a desktop shortcut for Oblivion, you can probably figure out where the game folder is by right-clicking the shortcut and looking at Properties. One of the tabs should show the program location. If you don't have a desktop shortcut, you can probably find a shortcut in your Windows Start Menu (you can right-click and choose Properties for that too).

The location of the game folder will vary depending on where you bought the game (Steam, GOG, or disc) and version of Windows, as well as whether you installed into the default location.

The game's save folder is usually somewhere else (unless you're using Windows 95/98/ME). On Windows 7 the save folder is often in one of the subfolders of
C:\Users\your-username\AppData\
The AppData folder is hidden unless you enable display of hidden files.

If you have a Steam version, here's a video showing where they buried Oblivion's Data folder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzFhKqk6aw

Re: Where the "bleep" is my Oblivion data file? - 11/05/17 10:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

It's definitely not in the "regular" programs folder. And it is not anywhere in the My Documents directory. And I have Hidden Files displayed so it isn't lurking that way.

Oddly, in my Programs 86 folder, in the Steam Apps directory, I found every Steam Game game EXCEPT Oblivion, which clearly thinks it is a special case.

I'll try your suggestions, Jenny. Hadn't thought of the right-click idea.

Re: Where the "bleep" is my Oblivion data file? - 11/06/17 01:16 PM

Well, that didn't work either, so I went with the other option, the Console, and cheated my way past the issue. Gotta love that Console in the Elder Scrolls games.
Posted by: Draclvr

Re: Where the "bleep" is my Oblivion data file? - 11/06/17 01:47 PM

Sometimes you've just "gotta do what you gotta do." Done it myself now and then.
Posted by: Jenny100

Re: Where the "bleep" is my Oblivion data file? - 11/06/17 03:02 PM

I noticed from some people's comments at the YouTube page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzFhKqk6aw
that they weren't able to find the folder -- so who knows where it gets to or even if it exists with some versions of the game.

At least the console cheat worked.

Re: Where the "bleep" is my Oblivion data file? - 11/06/17 06:53 PM

So odd. All my other Steam game data files were in one folder, but not Oblivion. Maybe it only exists on the Oblivion planes. grin

Or maybe this is one of Sheogorath's little cosmic jokes?