GB HOMEPAGE

GOG Galaxy Client

Posted By: kazzmo

GOG Galaxy Client - 11/27/17 02:13 AM

Do the GOG games download and run better if you use the Galaxy Client?
Posted By: Marian

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/27/17 02:19 AM

I use Galaxy because it downloads the entire game at once rather than having to download a game in parts, which is often what is required if you use the GOG downloader. My experience with Galaxy has been positive. As far as running better after installation, it doesn't make any difference - it's the same.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/27/17 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: kazzmo
Do the GOG games download and run better if you use the Galaxy Client?

No.
Whichever way you download and install gives you the same end result.

Just choose the method you like best.

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/27/17 02:31 AM

Thank you both very much. I appreciate your answers.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/27/17 02:49 AM

I have used both and do like the ability to download everything at once with the GOG Galaxy Client. Otherwise, they are the same.
Posted By: Mad

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/28/17 12:09 PM

But Draclvr, if you us the "Galaxy Client" aren't you then using something that behaves in a similar way to the "Steam Client ??

Surely "not the same" as just using your browser to download ??

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/28/17 04:49 PM

Mad, here's a portion of an article I found online discussing the differences between the GOG Galaxy client versus the Steam client:

Quote:
There's also no DRM. That means you can install a game using the Galaxy client and never log back into your account. There's even the option to download backup copies of a game for use on other PCs you own, or if for some reason GOG goes down and it's no longer possible to access servers to retrieve purchased titles. It's a strange feeling to know that you actually own a copy of a release, as opposed to a virtual license that requires some form of checks to ensure you're not doing anything naughty.

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/28/17 05:17 PM

What Marian has quoted is the way it works, Mad. While GOG Galaxy is essentially the GOG downloader which is helpful in downloading a game all at one time rather than having to separately download 2, 3, or sometimes 4 separate parts, it also has other features such as allowing you to communicate with other players etc. I'm not too fond of any of that, so have just been using the download part.

I actually use the Steam client in the same way for most of my Steam games. Once downloaded, I back them up and then select the option to NOT have to use the Steam client to play the game. If it's a new game, I will let it use the Steam client for a while as there are often game updates and patches issued by the developer. But after that, I set it to just play from my computer.

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/28/17 08:16 PM

Thank you both for the information thumbsup However, I will stick with just using my browser to download games laugh

I only download from GOG (or Humble) anyway.

[I deleted Steam from my machine quite a while ago.]

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/28/17 08:25 PM

As both you and I have said before, Mad... Thank heavens for choices!!

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/29/17 02:58 AM

I purchased Crysis from GOG. The game would not install, got corrupt file message. GOG gave me two possible fixes. The first fix did not work. Installing the game with GOG Galaxy worked like a charm. I make physical copies of my GOG games and like the way GOG Galaxy downloads the files. I have a Crysis icon on my desktop and play the game from there without opening up GOG Galaxy.

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/29/17 03:50 AM

Good to know that GOG Galaxy came through for you. wave

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/29/17 06:51 AM

That's great, kazzmo. I didn't like the Galaxy client at first, but I really like it now. As you say, it makes things so much easier!

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/29/17 11:27 AM

Glad to hear you got your game safely, kazzmo thumbsup
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: GOG Galaxy Client - 11/29/17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: kazzmo
I purchased Crysis from GOG. The game would not install, got corrupt file message. GOG gave me two possible fixes. The first fix did not work. Installing the game with GOG Galaxy worked like a charm.

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad download.
I think Galaxy checks the md5 of the download before installing.
Unfortunately GOG doesn't display the md5 checksums of the files you download manually (unlike Humble, which does show you what the md5 checksums of the downloaded files should be, so you can verify that the files downloaded correctly).
© 2024 GameBoomers Community