GB HOMEPAGE

Virus Software Recommendations

Posted By: rmelone

Virus Software Recommendations - 01/03/18 07:57 PM

I apologize if this question has been asked before or if I've posted it in the wrong forum but
I need help in deciding on a virus software brand.

I'm currently using Windows 10 defender, which isn't the greatest as I still get some spyware
as well as, what I perceive, as a threat of a virus.

I have used software in the past and have never been very happy with just about all of them:
Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, and some free programs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/03/18 08:29 PM

I use Defender along with Malwarebytes Pro and have never had a problem with spyware or viruses.
Posted By: RebKean

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/03/18 08:48 PM

I also use Defender, or rather what its name was in Windows 7. I haven't upgraded yet. Microsoft Security Essentials. I assume it's the same thing as Defender? (Sort of anyway) I have never had a problem though, but I wonder if the perfect program exist? I find there's always something that you don't like with them.

I can't be sure, but I don't think I've known if my computer have had a virus or spyware installed. But I wonder why you get that? Is it real viruses, or just false positives? It can be wrong sometimes. But I'm no expert here, I'm just a bit curious.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/03/18 09:30 PM

Draclvr,

I saw a program called Malwarebytes ADWcleaner - a free download. I've also seen other
Malwarebytes software - what exactly is the program you're using?

RebKean,

I haven't kept a record but sometime ago I did get what I thought was a virus but managed to get
rid of it by shutting off the PC and restarting it; so it may not have been a virus but another
form of malware.

Robert
Posted By: RebKean

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/03/18 09:56 PM

OK, well I'm not an expert on viruses and that kind of thing. Not much experience, which is good of course.

Any program that is free scares me, I have to say. Especially when it's this important. But perhaps that's just my paranoia. =)

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/03/18 10:14 PM

Malwarebytes ADWcleaner is another program they now have for adware and spyware... But go to the official Malwarebytes site. You can still get the free version which you would run if you thought you had a problem. The Premium runs in real time and stops stuff before it gets there. I think it costs about $40 a year. My 90 year-old mother called me one day and said her Malwarebytes had flashed up a warning. I told her to just let Malwarebytes handle it and I would look at it when we came up there in a month or so - I live 600 miles away. When I got up there and looked in the quarantined items, it was a ransomware virus which would have totally trashed her computer. So Malwarebytes Premium really paid for itself there.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/04/18 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: rmelone
I apologize if this question has been asked before or if I've posted it in the wrong forum but I need help in deciding on a virus software brand.

I'm currently using Windows 10 defender, which isn't the greatest as I still get some spyware as well as, what I perceive, as a threat of a virus.

I have used software in the past and have never been very happy with just about all of them:
Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, and some free programs.

Virus and spyware/adware aren't the same thing.
You need an anti-malware program to filter out things like spyware and adware.

Draclvr likes MalwareBytes in combination with Windows Defender, and that's probably what I'd recommend as well.

If you're going to spend money on something, it would be better to spend it on an anti-malware program like MalwareBytes rather than an antivirus. Some antivirus now include anti-malware, but these can be variable quality. MalwareBytes is among the best.

Windows Defender is fine as a free antivirus, at least when used along with something like MalwareBytes, and Defender doesn't expose you to problems that "free" antivirus from 3rd party companies sometimes do.

I haven't kept a record but some time ago I did get what I thought was a virus but managed to get rid of it by shutting off the PC and restarting it; so it may not have been a virus but another
form of malware.

Not all weird behavior is caused by a virus.
Remember using Windows 95/98 when you had to reboot all the time? Despite all claims to the contrary, you do have to reboot once in a while with XP and later Windows -- especially on computers used for gaming. Even if most games don't cause problems, there are some that do. The situation is probably even worse if you play disc-based games with invasive DRM -- the stuff Microsoft now blocks from installing by default.
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/04/18 04:05 AM

Anti virus programs are valuable and I'm happy with free Avast. However, it should be repeated over and over again that the best protection against computer infection is yourself!
Don't open suspicious email. Be careful of the sites you browse on. If you download programs, do it from trustworthy sites.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/04/18 05:00 AM

Preach it, Robert Gault! I do all the time.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/04/18 05:56 PM

I found this on Amazon - is this the malware software that has been mentioned?

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium 3.0 - 3 PCs / 1 Year

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/04/18 06:40 PM

Please go the official Malwarebytes website which I linked to above... If you only have 1 PC, you don't need licenses for 3. Also make sure it's for HOME and not BUSINESS. I'll post the link again.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/04/18 07:17 PM

I appreciate all the good information - thanks.

The premium software on the Malwarebytes web site is around $60 and it's for 3 computers - I have two.

The software I mentioned that is on Amazon from Malwarebytes is around $40 and also for 3 computers.
The link on Amazon for the software is here.

Please let me know if the software is the same on Amazon as it is on Malwarebytes.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/04/18 07:48 PM

It is the same, although it is an older version. I assume it would be updated when you install. At the Malwarebytes website, you can pick how many computers and the price for 2 is $49.99 per year. Not sure why the price difference on Amazon... I did read that you still have to do the download from the Malwarebytes website. Supposedly they send you a box with the key code to use for the download.

If you renew every year, it will still be $49.99 for 2 PCs. I would be a bit concerned that since this original license is for 3 PCs, they would renew at the 3 PC rate which is $59.99, so make sure if you are given the option that you don't select auto-renewal.

Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/05/18 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Robert Gault
Anti virus programs are valuable and I'm happy with free Avast. However, it should be repeated over and over again that the best protection against computer infection is yourself!
Don't open suspicious email. Be careful of the sites you browse on. If you download programs, do it from trustworthy sites.

All too true , in everything here . In the latest av-comparitives test , Avast scored perfectly , 100% . Windows defender , 98.1 % . Not too bad , I suppose . Avira , BitDefender , AVG , had better results , just to name a couple . A 98.1 % isn't nothing to sneeze at , but... Myself , my router is firewall protected , & I have Comodo Internet Security (defense + set to "paranoid" mode) , with Malwarebytes free .

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/05/18 10:23 PM

I've been reading that they have vastly improved Defender over time. Good to know about that comparison.
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/06/18 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I've been reading that they have vastly improved Defender over time. Good to know about that comparison.

What I listed ,was their results for "real world" testing . Symantec (Norton) did reasonably well , I think . I paid little attention to their score actually . Some others , from my limited memory , that fared well , were Avira , Kaspersky , Trend Micro , Bullguard , & AVG .

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/10/18 09:50 PM

I bought the software for Malwarebytes from Amazon and Draclvr was right - you get a box and in it
is the license for up to 3 PCs to download from Malwarebytes web site.

When I installed it in my laptop it found over 1000 threats. I don't know if any of the threats were
related to my problem of updating Windows 10 to the latest level - we'll see.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/11/18 04:55 PM

Wow, Robert! I think my record for a computer I was working on is a little over 900! The computer was barely running for very good reason. I don't know if getting rid of the malware will solve your problem though. In order for Windows 10 to update to the latest version, all previous updates must be up to date. Could be something is missing there.

I would highly suggest running Malwarebytes more than once. I've had it catch more on the 2nd or 3rd scan. If you had that much malware, I would also suggest running CCleaner to clear out junk too. It will get rid of any cookies that keep passwords, so go into Options and Cookies and find sites you visit often such as Gameboomers and move them over to the right panel. That tells CCleaner to leave them alone.

Also, when it is time to renew your Malwarebytes Premium, remember that it will auto renew to the price for 3 computers which is $59.99. You will need to change that to renew for only two computers which is $49.99.

Let us know how things work out for you!

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/11/18 08:12 PM

I tried running Windows 10 update and the initial update to version 1607 worked ok but when I tried to
update to version 1709 I got the same failure as before - some update files are missing or have problems.

I have been on the Microsoft support forum since 12/16/17 trying to get this problem fixed, to no avail.

The attempted update to version 1709 ran for about 2 plus hours before there was a failure notice. I was
hoping, because it was running so long, that the Malwarebytes program I ran would enable the update but
it wasn't to be.

I don't know if others have experienced this problem on this forum - if not, maybe I should open a new
glitches post.

The one thing I keep wondering about is my laptop, where I'm having this problem, originally had
Windows 7 and was updated some time ago when Microsoft had that free update to Windows 10 and I'm
wondering if that is why I'm having this problem now.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/11/18 10:23 PM

rmelone,
Does your laptop have an AMD processor or an Intel processor?

Apparently there is a "fix" for the recently discovered "Meltdown" and "Spectre" exploits that Intel processors are vulnerable to, but the "fix" messes with AMD processors, so Microsoft has blocked the "fix" from installing on some AMD processors
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/08/microsofts_spectre_fixer_bricks_some_amd_powered_pcs

If you have an AMD processor, and this "latest" version of Windows 10 includes the "fix" for Intel vulnerabilities, maybe that's why your update fails.

Also there is a known problem with an update installation halt at 99% described at tenforums:
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-new...6299-192-a.html

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/11/18 11:19 PM

Jenny100

Thanks for the information. My laptop uses an Intel processor and is currently at Windows 10 Version 1607
Build 14393.1198 which was released May 2017. Since then there have been many updates to Version 1607 but
none of them are reflected on my laptop.

Now, the automatic update by Microsoft (without any way that I know to stop it) is constantly trying to update
to Version 1709 and fails in different ways.

I'm going to have to do a lot more research - again.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 01:01 AM

Check the 2nd link in my post about the 99% installation problem.
They list workarounds.
Perhaps one of those would help.

And another possibility -- you said you'd used these before:
Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, and some free programs

Did you install any of those on the laptop?
If so, did you use an uninstaller from the antivirus company's website to uninstall them? If you only uninstalled through Control Panel, they may have left junk behind that is interfering with the update.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 04:16 AM

Oh, good point about the uninstall of those old antivirus programs.
Posted By: RichAlexis

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 03:57 PM

Just for your information, the results from a recent test by the Dutch Consumer Society were, from best to worst (on a scale from 0 to 10, 10 being the best):

Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 (paid): 8.1
Norton by Symantec Security Deluxe: 7.8
Trend Micro Internet Security: 7.8
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition: 7.7
Kaspersky Internet Security 2018: 7.7
BullGuard Internet Security 2018: 7.7
Panda Security Antivirus Pro: 7.6
Avira Antivirus Pro: 7.5
Avast! Antivirus Free Edition: 7.4
F-Secure Safe 2018: 7.4
Eset Internet Security: 7.4
Avira Antivirus Free Edition: 7.3
AVG Antivirus Free Edition: 7.1
Kaspersky Free Edition: 6.6
McAfee Antivirus Plus 2018: 6.4
Microsoft Windows 10 Defender (free): 6.4
G-Data Internet Security: 6.1
ZoneAlarm Antivirus Free Edition: 5.2
Malwarebytes Premium: 4.1

It should be taken into account that the above scores also include user friendliness and computer performance (how much it slows down).

They say that Malwarebytes offers bad protection against viruses (just 3.2), but could be a valuable second option to run, especially the free version. They explain that it still suffers from its original spec as only additional protection against malware.

They also point out that while some free virus protection programs score just as well as other paid software, there can be frequent annoying ads, and more user data will generally be collected than by the paid products.

Best,

Rich

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 04:37 PM

Interesting...
Posted By: RichAlexis

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 05:15 PM

Jenny100

Thanks for the information. My laptop uses an Intel processor and is currently at Windows 10 Version 1607
Build 14393.1198 which was released May 2017. Since then there have been many updates to Version 1607 but
none of them are reflected on my laptop.
Robert,

I've been told by someone from Kaspersky that sometimes a Windows update fails to complete, which keeps subsequent updates from installing, because of internal conflicts. This happened last year, when a Windows update was buggy, so kept trying to install itself. If you haven't done it yet, you can take a look at the possible backlog of updates in Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update.

You may want to skip certain recommended updates, or ones which look superfluous, in favour of essential ones.

Best,

Rich

By the way, as for Jenny's remark on installation problems and possible conflicts with other antivirus programs, I use Revo Uninstaller a lot to locate and completely erase leftover bits (such as 'orphaned' driver files or registry entries) of programs I may have installed, but have forgotten about, or which have failed to uninstall completely. This happened when I went from McAfee to Kaspersky: some subdirectories and McAfee program bits still remained present, even active.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 05:54 PM

In all the computers I've worked on, McAfee is the absolute worst to get rid of. I always use the uninstaller from the McAfee website which does get rid of it all. Revo is also great.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 07:04 PM

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their responses to both the virus and Windows 10 update questions I had.

Right now with all the information provided my head is spinning confused and I'm going to concentrate on the Windows 10 update problem.

I think I need to take a step back to decide what would be the best way to approach the problem - and, right now I'm not really sure what that is.

I guess I could just ignore the daily pop-up error messages from Microsoft about the failed updates as my laptop is running fine the way it is. I'd rather not do that but it might come to that.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 07:40 PM

Until you get a little distance from all this, why don't you exclude the updates. Since you can't do this any longer in your update settings, you could try this tool from Microsoft. You can uninstall it at a later date.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-unwanted-windows-updates-in-windows-10

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 08:42 PM

Right now with all the information provided my head is spinning and I'm going to concentrate on the Windows 10 update problem.

Take it to a repair shop. If it's not updating because it's infected, you need to have that taken care of.
If it's not updating because of an incompatibility with the computer hardware, the shop can tell you.
It would help if you could make a list of all the antivirus you previously had installed on it so the shop can check for traces of on your hard drive that might be blocking the update install.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 10:43 PM

I uninstalled Norton and McAfee using the companies removal tools.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure that's all of the virus programs I used on the laptop but I know it
was the last two.

As far as a repair shop visit I'm not so sure this system is worth the cost as I've had it quite
a while.

I still think I may eventually be able to fix what is going on.....fingers crossed.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 11:05 PM

Do a Google search for whether anyone else with the exact brand and model number of your laptop is having the same problems with the "update." If so, there may be a hardware incompatibility.

If you intend to get a new computer soon, you should wait until new processors are available that aren't vulnerable to the Meltdown and Spectre threats. If you absolutely can't wait, at least get one with an AMD processor because Intel processors appear to have more vulnerabilities.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/324...md-exposed.html
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/12/18 11:12 PM

You might also have a read of this MS site:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...eb-59fe9082f925

Good luck

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/13/18 08:41 PM

On the Microsoft forum I tried what was suggested in the post below:

"In my case the KB4053579 failed to install and the upgrade to 1709 failed then to.

I solved it by mounting a Windows 10 ISO file and running this command from a elevated CMD box (click on the Search icon next to the start button, type CMD, click right mouse button on the black CMD icon that appeared, select "Run as Administrator" and click on YES)

dism /online /add-package /packagepath:E:\sources\sxs\microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package.cab

(change the E: to the mounted ISO drive letter)

After that i could do a "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" from an elevated CMD

Next i ran Windows Update again, and KB4053579 installed without any problems and the upgrade to 1709 worked also.

(Use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO)"

I got the following message after executing the above:

Error 605

An error occurred accessing the temporary folder C:\Users\Robert~1\AppData\Local\Temp\F43C7A1A-309C-4500-BE25-D44789F9E84. Ensure that the path to the temporary folder exists and that you have Read/Write permission on the folder.

The DISM log folder can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

The problem is I don't have Read/Write permission on the folder - in fact the icon for the folder seems a lighter shade of yellow than the others.

Is there any way that anyone knows to change a folder from "Read Only" to Read/Write?

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/13/18 09:27 PM

Is there any way that anyone knows to change a folder from "Read Only" to Read/Write?

Seems to be an old, recurring Windows 10 problem.
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/windows-10-read-only-problem-has-a-solution/

Wonder if that's what was holding Windows 10 back from updating itself.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/14/18 04:35 PM

Jenny100

Thanks for the information. I tried the changes recommended on the web site you sent the link to but, sadly,
I still got the same error mentioned in my previous post.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is why some people give up on PCs and change to Macs.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/14/18 05:34 PM

One thing you might try is to completely reset the computer. Since this is Windows 10, you can go into Settings and choose to keep all your files if you want.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/14/18 06:00 PM

See if your laptop is on this list
***Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10***

Scroll down to where it says
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709)

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/14/18 06:42 PM

Oh, great resource! Added to my "Jenny" bookmarks folder in my browser.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/14/18 08:02 PM

My HP laptop was not on the list of compatible PC's so it looks like it probably cannot be updated - even though I was able to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 when they first came out with the free update some time ago.

As far as resetting to an earlier version or level I guess that is something I will have to consider.

Thanks again.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/14/18 08:05 PM

If that is the issue, then at least you don't need to go looking for solutions any more. You can still just stop that update so you don't constantly get the error message using the link I posted a few posts back.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/14/18 08:39 PM

Microsoft may eventually fix their update so it includes your laptop, so check back to the list of compatible laptops once in a while.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/14/18 08:55 PM

A couple of things.

I tried to reset the PC but no go - 'There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.' No explanation as to what the problem was - Great....

I also tried to do a 'Startup Repair' (I know I'm getting desperate) and got this message:
'Startup repair couldn't repair your PC.'

Tried 'Go back to previous build' got this message: 'Ran into a problem.....Try resetting your current build instead' - which is what I tried in the first place.

I didn't try 'Select a system image backup' because I don't know what that does.

Draclvr - You said I can stop the update? I haven't found anyway to do that as I keep getting automatic updates from Microsoft.

Robert
Posted By: Mad

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/14/18 09:10 PM

Didn't Winfrey provide a web address where there are instructions on how to stop Win10 Auto Updates ??

In the fourth post of her "Windows 10 Still Free" thread.

[Just scroll further down on this board to find it.]

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/14/18 10:21 PM

Robert, my link to exclude the updates is back on page 2.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/15/18 10:55 PM

I tried the method mentioned by Winfrey. The Windows for Wi-Fi settings wasn't exactly the same but I did manage to find the referenced items to turn on or off. We'll see how it goes.

Daclve - I did find your link but I figure I'll try one thing at a time and take it from there.

Thanks again.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/15/18 11:51 PM

That would be my recommendation also!
Posted By: Mad

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/16/18 04:28 AM

Good Luck, rmelone thumbsup

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/18/18 03:43 PM

Draclvr

Reference your link to prevent Windows 10 updates:

"Until you get a little distance from all this, why don't you exclude the updates. Since you can't do this any longer in your update settings, you could try this tool from Microsoft. You can uninstall it at a later date.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-unwanted-windows-updates-in-windows-10"

When I go to the referenced link it looks like I have to install software to check my driver status - which I did and then to go any further I have to pay to continue.

I have a feeling I'm not following the path you referenced (or it may be this head cold I've had for a while) but I can't see how to just link to block Windows 10 updates.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/18/18 03:58 PM

No, for sure you are not getting to the right place in the link!! It sounds like you are being redirected and you may have a browser infection. You should never install software to check your driver status... please uninstall it IMMEDIATELY!

When you click on the link, look up at the address bar in your browser. The URL should say exactly what the link here at MM says. Let me know what it says.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/18/18 06:03 PM

I'm not sure what you meant by "MM" but I checked the link on the address bar and it's exactly the same link I quoted in my previous post.

Could you please try that link and, if it is correct, what do I click on?

I did click on "disable or turn off Windows Updates in Windows 10" and then saw this:

"Turn off Windows Updates in Windows 10
You can do this using the Windows Update service. Via Control Panel > Administrative Tools, you can access Services. In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update and turn off the process. To turn it off, right-click on the process, click on Properties and select Disabled. That will take care of Windows Updates not being installed on your machine."

I don't see "Administrative Tools" in my control panel. So it's possible I'm not following the right link to disable updates.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/18/18 07:10 PM

Sorry, Robert! Had a minor brain malfunction! I am an administrator at the Mystery Manor gaming website and forgot where I was! I meant GB.

When I go to the link, there is nothing to click on unless you want to try using the tool... just directions along with screenshots about how to disable the updates. There is a link to the blocking tool called KB3073930.

Administrative Tools is under Update and Security in Control Panel. I hate when they skip a step! Why don't you wait and see if you are still prompted to do updates with what you've done already. If that works, then you should be good to go.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/18/18 08:12 PM

If I go to
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-unwanted-windows-updates-in-windows-10

It talks about an update tool and near the bottom of the page says

Quote:
Using this tool will prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

If later on, an updated driver or updated is released and you wish to install it now, you may click on the Show hidden updates and uncheck them

You can download the tool from KB3073930.

You can also stop automatic Driver updates if you wish. This post will show you where to look for Windows 10 Update History.

RECOMMENDED: Download this tool to quickly find & fix Windows errors automatically

Where it says "You can download the tool from KB3073930" it links you to a Microsoft website with the tool.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...lling-in-window

*** BUT ***

If you click where it says "RECOMMENDED: Download this tool to quickly find & fix Windows errors automatically" it takes you to a garbage website with all sorts of scripted trackers and junk.

Make sure to check all links before you click them.
In this case there was a good link and a bad one, and it sounds like you chose the bad one.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/18/18 09:07 PM

What do I select once I find Administrative Tools to prevent Windows 10 updates from running?

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/19/18 12:31 AM

Do you see Services listed? The instructions say this. I don't know if this will work in Window 10 Home though. I'll have to check.

Quote:
Turn off Windows Updates in Windows 10

You can do this using the Windows Update service. Via Control Panel > Administrative Tools, you can access Services. In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update and turn off the process. To turn it off, right-click on the process, click on Properties and select Disabled. That will take care of Windows Updates not being installed on your machine.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/19/18 03:22 PM

Under Control Panel there is no Administrative Tools option. I had to go into Control Panel/System and Security and in that windows was the Administrative Tools option.

However, it does not include a Services option.

So you may be right. The option doesn't look like it's there for Windows 10 home.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/19/18 04:27 PM

Control Panel looks different depending on whether you have "Category" "Large Icons" or "Small Icons" selected.

Check the "View by" dropdown in the upper right of whatever version of Control Panel you have open.

Or check this site under #6 for pictures

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2691-open-control-panel-windows-10-a.html

To get to the list of services, it's faster to

Quote:
Press the Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog, type services.msc, press Enter,

but if you want to go through Control Panel, make sure you have the right "view" selected for Control Panel first.

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/19/18 08:30 PM

OK, I went through the Control Panel sequence to stop Windows 10 updates. I should know later today or at least by tomorrow if that has actually stopped the updates.

From what I can see I can always restart Windows 10 updates if I want to.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/21/18 03:20 PM

Something is resetting the option to stop Windows 10 updates in the 'Services' screen.

I select to stop Windows updates but then, after a while, I get update error messages again and when I go back into the 'Services' screen and look at Windows update it has been reset to allow updates.

Robert

Re: Virus Software Recommendations - 01/21/18 05:36 PM

Something is resetting the option to stop Windows 10 updates in the 'Services' screen.

That doesn't surprise me at all.
That "something" is Microsoft Windows 10.

There is a suggestion here for a tweak on the Recovery tab,
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/For...m=winserverwsus
Originally Posted By: Yan Li
I suggest you check the Recovery tab under Windows Update service properties. By default, when the service is failure, the recovery task is to restart the service. You may change this to Take no action and check the result.

but the last person who posted in that thread said the Recovery tab tweak didn't work.

I guess you could try using the suggestions here
https://www.computerworld.com/article/32...installing.html

One suggestion I saw was to check for BIOS updates for your model computer -- in the hope that the BIOS update would make the computer compatible with Windows update 1709. But chances are the company computer won't care about updating older computers. After all, they want you to buy a new one, whether you can afford it or not.

Best solution (in my opinion) for the home user is to go back to using Windows 7 or 8. That may not be an option for the latest computers (especially laptops) that came with Windows 10, but it should be possible to go back to the operating system the computer came with. If you have a "restore partition" that is intact, it shouldn't take long to go back to Windows 7 or 8, though running all the subsequent updates for Windows 7 or 8 may take many hours. And of course you have to back up everything before using the restore partition or you'll lose your data.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community