GB HOMEPAGE

FAX

Posted By: Geo

FAX - 12/03/18 04:06 PM

May need to do some temporary faxing so do not want to invest a lot of time or money. Do not want to buy a fax machine if I don't have to. Is there a way to do it on a computer? How would you connect the phone to the computer or am I way off? Don't know anything about faxing so be gentle.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: FAX - 12/03/18 05:07 PM

First question is why do you absolutely have to fax? Are you just trying to send documents to a business or individual? If they have an email address, it sure easier to just scan a document in any printer with scan capabilities, save as a document on your computer and send as an attachment.

Yes, it can be done, but it needs a phone modem. From How To Geek...

Quote:
Microsoft Windows even contains a Fax and Scan application that allows you to send faxes. The catch is that you’d need your computer connected to the phone line — yes, this means that you’d need a dial-up fax modem. You’d also need a landline telephone connection and you’d have to tell people to stay off the phone when you’re sending faxes, just like in the old dial-up Internet days. Of course, if you were faxing a lot, you could pay for a a dedicated fax telephone line — this might even be necessary if you were receiving a lot of faxes.

Another option is to go to some place like your library or UPS store. Some of them will send faxes for you for a fee.
Posted By: Geo

Re: FAX - 12/03/18 06:47 PM

UPS store faxes? I didn't know that. That might be the easiest way to go.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: FAX - 12/03/18 08:01 PM

Some do and some don't... check first. This is the listing for my local UPS store. Fax services are listed under "additional services."

https://locations.theupsstore.com/mo/washington/1165-clock-tower-plaza
Posted By: Marian

Re: FAX - 12/03/18 08:10 PM

Earlier this year I needed to fax someone and I went to my local packing/shipping place for this service - I don't recall exactly what they charged me, but I am pretty sure it was between three and four dollars.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community