GB HOMEPAGE

new gaming laptop

Posted By: SharonB

new gaming laptop - 12/15/18 12:50 PM

They can be really expensive. I'm looking for one to play any hidden object game Big Fish can throw at them and maybe a few rpgs. I'm looking at the older rpgs like morrowind, vampire redemption, that witch one. I'm thinking $900, but my max is $1000. I've looked at quite a few, but I'm no longer sure what qualifies as good hardware.
I know I'd like to stick to nvidia for my graphics.Some of these games ask for i7 as the processor, but that is not a deal breaker as I'm primarily interested in the Big Fish games. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/15/18 05:37 PM

As long as you're willing to make some compromises on other things, there are some good deals out there in your price range right now. What you want to look for is a stand alone video card. You're probably going to have to settle for a 1050 or a 1060 Nvidia card. But that will play older RPGs and Big Fish games quite nicely. Some will have small solid state drives, so think about how much storage you want. Some have a small SSD along with a large regular hard drive for storage.

This is an example of a pretty decent low end gaming laptop. The HP Omen is getting good reviews.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000D-02NY0

I hope this search page works... I just refined the search to list gaming laptops between $750 - $1,000. There are some very nice ones listed.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi...ange=750%201000

Keep in mind that some of these deals are only good for a short time.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/16/18 08:13 PM

Thank you Draclvr! Keys sticking so have to improvise. The Acer Aspire 7 17.3" IPS FHD GTX 1060 6GB VRAM 8th Gen Intel 6-core i7-8750H 16 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Windows 10 Home VR Ready Gaming Laptop A717-72G-700J - ONLY @ NEWEGG looks really good to me. Any drawbacks I need to know about? It says
Upgrade As You Wish
The compartment door allows you to upgrade storage and memory as you see fit. what is your opinion? Should I rather stick with the hp omen?

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/16/18 08:47 PM

If you like the very large 17" screen, that is a good buy. Keep in mind that it only has a small 256 GB SSD for storage. If you need more storage, that's easily remedied with an exterior drive, but is something you'd have to buy extra. That Omen does not have an i7, but it has an i5. I'm still using an i5 on my desktop that I built 3 years ago and it's playing Witcher 3 which is a pretty demanding RPG.

This one has the i7, a GTX 1050 Ti video card, a 128 GB SSD AND a 1 TB hard drive.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316537

This Lenovo has an i7, a GTX 1060 and a 1 TB hard drive.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834850679

As far as a GTX 1060 or a GTX 1050 Ti, GPU boss declares them a tie... too close to call. I would stick with at least a 1050 Ti instead of the 1050.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-1060-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti

Since there are a lot of laptops to choose from in your price range, maybe make a list of your priorities and then start whittling them down!

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/16/18 09:08 PM

These all look good. Which would you choose and why?

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/16/18 10:39 PM

Man, that would be a hard choice. If my budget was limited, I'd lean towards this ASUS... I like that brand. It has an 7th generation i5 CPU, a GTX 1060, a 128 GB M2 SSD(even faster that the PCI-E SSD protocol) and a 1 TB HDD for programs, files and storage. I also like the easy access for upgrades. The reviews are good too... you might read some of those on each of these computers and see what other users think.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA57X8EH5667

I think a lot of storage would be the thing I would have to keep as a priority. I would settle for a 512 GB SSD, but those take it out of the price range.

You may have another priority!

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/17/18 02:18 AM

Thanks Draclvr. I'm inclined to go with your choice. I'm going to sleep on it and let you know tomorrow. smile

PS: this will be my first laptop. Do I need a cooler or mouse?

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/17/18 04:09 PM

Just got this promo code this morning for that 17" Acer with the 256 GB solid state drive. Didn't say how much off the code was, but if you put it in your shopping basket and apply the code, it will tell you. You can always remove it from your basket.

EMCERET22

Acer 17"

You shouldn't need a cooler, but you really won't know until you get it. Most of these newer ones have much better cooling systems. Since a gaming laptop uses hardware that is more powerful, they put out more heat. I would just wait and see if you think whichever one you get runs hot.

I much prefer a wireless mouse, but it depends on what you prefer. For gaming, I don't find the touchpad to be very useful. I use a wireless "couch mouse" from Logitech.

EDIT: Just got ANOTHER promo code! This one is for the Envy with the i5, a 1 TB drive and the GTX 1050 Ti.

Envy Promo Code
Posted By: Mad

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/17/18 05:04 PM

I've never heard of a "couch mouse", Draclver think

[Or did you mean "touch mouse" ??]
Posted By: Marian

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/17/18 05:33 PM

Couch mouse

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/17/18 05:34 PM

Thanks, Marian! The couch mouse is made to be used on a surface like your couch or chair or where ever you happen to me sitting!

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/17/18 10:04 PM

Sysem overlod. Kybord cing up. lredy purchsed sysem you recommended. ish I hd ied lile longer for spire i7. So much o chose from! Did you kno neegg mkes you py up fron for heir free sofre nd refunds i once purchse is processed? Relly hiked he price up in he shor erm. Cn you undersnd me. Some keys don ork. Sigh... Ne Keybord. More choosing.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/17/18 10:07 PM

I don't know what's wrong with your keyboard, but don't you have an old keyboard you could plug into a USB port?

Or is this the new laptop that has the bad keyboard?
If so you should return it.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/17/18 10:11 PM

I have no idea what you're saying! Newegg doesn't make you pay up front for anything!

Do you have some canned air you can clean out under the keys on your keyboard. That's what I do when they stick.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/18/18 12:10 AM

no acually sicking, jus wwon work. migh hve old keyboard, hve to look. will explin newegg policy when can type. ah haa! wworking for now. They offer game promos and such with their new systems and dont forwarn you that you have to pay for these "freebies" and then when then your charge or debit card is charged, and it is paid they refund the money for their promotions.
Just ordered my system oday - oo lte to change my order. Should have new pc in 4-7 days.

Hving to pay for the promos put it out of my range anywway. (temporarily) I might just return it and get the other next month. - We'll see...Maybe it will go back on sale.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/18/18 12:49 AM

I think that might have been the seller that offered a promotion like that. I saw it and it isn't like the ones Newegg offers - when are free with the purchase. I have a game code which I still haven't used from last fall. That's kind of sneaky to offer a promotion that you have to pay for and then they reimburse you.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with this laptop - it's a really nice one.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/18/18 01:41 AM

Thanks!I feel like Tim Allen -- More Power!! You say I'll be able to play Witcher 3? On an I5 with 3 gb vram on my 1060 nvidea?That's what I really want and thought I couldn't play it with my i5 desktop.I'm really jonesing for an i7 with 16gb ram, 1TBSSD (to be bought later). Although my current system does everything I ask, I limit my asking. The reason I'm getting the laptop is because it is very likely I'll have to go back into hospital for a short time and probably have to have physical rehab. I want to be prepared so I can still play my games while I'm away from home. They say that couch mouse is $180. It would have to be made of gold for me to spend that kind of money on a mouse crazy You are one serious gamer! thumbsup

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/18/18 03:13 AM

My brother uses a cheap "Amazon Basics" USB mouse that works just fine on cloth even though it makes no claim to. As long as you aren't using a ball mouse it's worth trying whatever mouse you're using on cloth. It might surprise you.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/18/18 03:14 AM

I've played Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 on my i5 and mine is a much older one. I have a third generation i5 3470 that is 3 years old and a GTX 660 Ti that is also 3 years old and I can play at full resolutions. The 7th generation i5 in this new laptop will run circles around mine!

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/18/18 05:55 AM

Yhoo! Is in hr mil - Fedex! My deskop is 5 yrs old... ill look for my old keybord omorro.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/18/18 02:40 PM

No old keybord. Check my BJs for combo uni. -
Posted By: Mad

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/19/18 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Marian

Thank you, Marian grin
You have shown me something new !! santadance

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/19/18 08:05 PM

I have a new keyboard and mouse combo unit. It's a Logitech, doesn't have a model number on the box. It has a couple features I didn't have before. A caps lock light and a battery indicator and a few other keys I don't know what they are supposed to do. No doc included to explain. Will do Google search. Very impressed so far. It's wireless and only cost $40. for the pair, batteries included!

Thanks Jenny for advice about the mouse. Does it need to say for Laptops or will any mouse work? Would like to get a gaming mouse for my new laptop. Wow! New Laptop PC, Windows 10 (I'm still on Windows 7 with my desktop.) A lot to take in and learn.

Thanks Draclvr for recommendations for my new system. My present desktop is still going strong, but a new system with all the advances they've made in the last 5 years is very exciting! GOG is having their winter sale and Witcher 3 is on sale for $20. Is my luck in or what??? happydance12 wave12 joy

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/19/18 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: SharonB
Does it need to say for Laptops or will any mouse work?

Any USB mouse should work in a USB port on a modern desktop or laptop computer.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/19/18 10:32 PM

You may be able to swap your new mouse between the new laptop and the desktop. Just take out the little receiver and pop into the laptop.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/20/18 02:15 AM

Sounds good. I'll try that.The new keyboard & mouse work great! If only that would improve my typing... catrub

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/20/18 04:01 AM

My problem is that my brain and my fingers are not always in sync!

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/20/18 05:53 PM

My new laptop is out for delivery by my post office! Can't wait - can't wait - can't wait!! joy Where are they?? presents12

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/20/18 06:08 PM

That was quick!!

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/20/18 08:09 PM

I'm with you on the gaming and the heater. But I prefer cross-stitching. blackkitty

Must have missed the mail. I was out for a Dr appt this am and they must have come then, didn't leave a notice or anything, but it's 4pm and no delivery. cry

My mistake. I was reading the tracking number for the item below. My delivery is estimated for Saturday. At least I know I'll be home then. winter

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/21/18 12:01 AM

So, didja get it??!!

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/21/18 05:00 AM

No. Coming Saturday.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/21/18 07:00 AM

I thought it was "out for delivery!" Bummer.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/22/18 12:31 AM

it was something else. frown

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/22/18 05:30 PM

My mistake. I was reading the tracking number for the item below. My delivery is estimated for Saturday. At least I know I'll be home then.

Well it's Saturday.
It should be delivered any time now.
Let us know how it goes.
Good luck with your Christmas laptop.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/23/18 03:41 AM

OK, so you're killing me with suspense! Isn't it Saturday?!

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/23/18 01:32 PM

Yes, it came!! I tried to get to set it up, but had to go to the emergency room for something completely out of the blue. Spent all night in there, finally got ambulance to bring me home at 3 this morning.
Have been trying to set it up, but it's been fighting me. I'm finding it to be a learning process between desktops and laptops. That said, I love this new machine!! Ithas a back lit keyboard, it's very fast, great graphic quality. The touchpad is a little irksome because I keep hitting it by accident. There is no doc to explain some of the keyboard functions or to explain anything really. But I'm catching on. This password business is annoying.

I'm going to download a game or 2 now and will get back to you with that. The font just enlarged. How did I do that??river

Edit: My c drive is my small 128gb ssd card. My D drive is my 1tb drive. Everything wants to install to my C drive. Shouldn't I be installing to my D drive which they are calling my data drive?? think I need help help

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/23/18 04:20 PM

I'm going to download a game or 2 now and will get back to you with that. The font just enlarged. How did I do that??

If you mean the font enlarged in a web browser, usually holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the + key will enlarge font, and holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the - key will reduce the size of font.

Quote:
Edit: My c drive is my small 128gb ssd card. My D drive is my 1tb drive. Everything wants to install to my C drive. Shouldn't I be installing to my D drive which they are calling my data drive?? I need help

Yes you should install games to the larger drive.
What games are you installing and where are they from?

With GOG games there is usually an "Options" button in the lower left of the window that pops up when you first start the installer, and you adjust options before continuing the installation.

With Big Fish you adjust options in the Game Manager before starting the game installation.
https://bigfishgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/229969207-Install-Games-in-New-Location

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/23/18 05:47 PM

Shouldn't the games be in the big fish manager app? That always seems to install to C. Is there a way to install it to D? Does it make a difference or matter where the manager is installed?

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/23/18 07:23 PM

Shouldn't the games be in the big fish manager app? That always seems to install to C. Is there a way to install it to D? Does it make a difference or matter where the manager is installed?

Check the link in my previous message. It tells you how to adjust the default installation location.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/23/18 08:21 PM

Sorry, I've been painting and stripping wallpaper - oh joy! - this morning. Jenny's links should point you in the right direction. It will take you a little while to get your default installation locations set up, but once you do, just pay attention when installing something to where it is going. I have the same setup on my Windows 7 operating system. Once I got it set up with default locations, it works really well, plus you get the fast boot up and quick launching of programs.

What problems are you having with the password?

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/23/18 08:57 PM

I know this is really dumb, but I can't seem to choose where to install the manager. The games are going into my D drive now. Im just trying to get BF straightened out for now.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/23/18 10:35 PM

I can't seem to choose where to install the manager.

It doesn't really matter where you install the Big Fish Game Manager because it's so small. Let it go to C if it wants to.
It's the games themselves that take up space.
The games are going into my D drive now. I'm just trying to get BF straightened out for now.

As long as the games are going to your D drive you're all set.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/23/18 11:51 PM

I agree... just let the GM go to C. That's no biggie... just remember to select D for any games you install.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/24/18 03:12 AM

What about GOG Galaxy?

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/24/18 04:13 AM

Same thing. No problem if the client is on your C drive; just tell all games to install on D. That's what I did on my Windows 7 operating system.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/24/18 12:39 PM

Thanks. I was able to put GOG Galaxy on D after all. Have been downloading all the Witcher games to it. laugh Still... The Windows File management confounds me. They have created files for docs, pictures, etc. But to use them you have to install the docs, pictures, etc. to "This PC" which I understand is on the C drive. I've been looking at a couple youtube videos explaining file mgmt on Winl 10. Maybe that will Help. I found the key disable the touchpad grin. This pc is great Draclvr, anything larger would have been too big. It does my games so far without a hitch. So, again you're right! thumbsup I don't need more power (yet!). The only thing I would like to change is the size of my sd card. 128 gb isn't very much. I'd like to install a lot of games to the C Drive. When I get a chance I will upgrade it to a 1TB sd card. joy2

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/24/18 06:48 PM

What I did was to go over to my D Drive and create a "New Library." In it, I made new files for Picture, Documents, Music etc.

No, This PC is ALL of your drives. Under My PC, I have listed C:, D:, E:, F:, (yes I have 4 drives!) and then G which is my DVD drive and H which is an SD card slot.

When I was researching, everything that had a nice big SSD put them WAY out of your price range!

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/24/18 07:47 PM

You should back up your entire SSD drive (C drive) before you make too many changes.
Otherwise you'll have problems when you want to transfer the contents of your current SSD to a larger one.

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/24/18 08:31 PM

Good point Jenny. It's going to be a long time for me to upgrade my storage. I'll do as you suggest Draclver and create my own folders on the D drive. smile

Re: new gaming laptop - 12/24/18 08:46 PM

You're doing great, Sharon. This takes a little bit of time to get set up the way you want it. But once you do, it works really well giving you speed AND tons of storage.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community