GB HOMEPAGE

An Ell of a Crossword

Posted By: Cue

An Ell of a Crossword - 02/01/18 04:35 PM

Here's a crossword that I liked solving and thought I'd share. It's a bit different from normal crosswords which just makes it that much more fun! Grab your coffee, sit down and enjoy. This is something for you to do on your own. No solutions will be posted.

luck

See the puzzle
Posted By: Lex

Re: An Ell of a Crossword - 02/04/18 10:18 AM

Thanks Cue, that kept me going for quite a while, the final hurdle being my further education about whales! thumbsup

(I could not make much sense of the final sentence in the instructions)
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: An Ell of a Crossword - 02/04/18 10:52 AM

Thanks Cue. My dad would have loved it. Crosswords were his favorite pastime!

Re: An Ell of a Crossword - 02/05/18 04:03 PM

Glad you guys enjoyed that one. I know I did. I'd do a little bit, leave it and come back to it.

I was convinced that a group of whales was only called a pod. Like you, Lex, I gained another wrinkle.

"All letters in the grid will be used in exactly two words."

The letter in the square labeled "1" is only used in clue 1W and 1E. The letter in the square left of the "1" is only used in clue 1W and 8N. It help to know if you've already used a letter twice that it can't be included in another word which could help you decide what direction a word might turn.

Re: An Ell of a Crossword - 02/05/18 06:45 PM

There were definitely some letters appearing in more than two words, e i l n p r s t for starters (although in some instances one placement of a letter was included in more than one word), at least in my answers! crazy

Following your example I had the same letter in the squares numbered 1 and 2 and at the bottom of the column containing 6 and 9, making it part of 4 words.

Mind you, what you say about the letter in the square to the left of 1 makes me wonder whether I had the answers to 1 correct, and if not what else they could have been while still completing the grid... eek

Re: An Ell of a Crossword - 02/05/18 07:14 PM

Your grid is probably right.

The letter in square "1" is P and is the first letter in clue 1W. This same P is also the first letter for clue 1E and therefore is used in two words. The letter in the square left of "1" is E and is the second letter for clue 1W. It is also the 5th letter of clue 8N which includes it in two words.

Re: An Ell of a Crossword - 02/05/18 07:45 PM

I also have E as the second letter of 1E and the third letter of 13W...

Re: An Ell of a Crossword - 02/05/18 08:38 PM

It's not that a letter can only be used twice in the entire grid. A letter in a specific square is shared by exactly two answer words due to answer word overlaps.

Re: An Ell of a Crossword - 02/06/18 07:36 AM

That is not quite what it seems to say, and I am also intrigued by the use of the word "exactly" in this context, but still a great brain teaser! smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community