GB HOMEPAGE

Rog's Rag-bag (with hints)

Posted By: Urban Worrier

Rog's Rag-bag (with hints) - 06/16/18 05:22 PM

Maths, logic, trivia, puns, general silliness - an assortment of stuff too disparate to go under any other title. In other words, same old rubbish.

1. Lex's chauffeur was very punctual. He always left Lex's residence at the same time, drove at a constant rate, and always got to the station at exactly 5 P.M. in time to meet his employer's train. One day Lex got to the station at 4 P.M. and began to walk home at the rate of four miles an hour. His chauffeur met him on the way and drove him home. They got home twenty minutes earlier than usual. How fast did the chauffeur drive? The tough way is lots of nasty maths. The easy(?) is to work out how early the chauffer met Lex and hence the proportion of the total distance that each had covered. This ratio is also the ratio of their respective speeds.

-2. Sherlock Holmes lived at 221B, Baker Street, London. Which other famous person also lived at 221B, Baker Street - although not in London? He has a lot in common with Sherlock Holmes. He is a fictional character, a sort of detective (but don't get hung up on that). Like Holmes, his best friend is a doctor whose initials are also JW, was an addict, and his surname is linked in an auditory fashion to Holmes. Unlike Holmes, he lived in America

-3. Which is the odd-one out and why?
aluminium, cobalt, gallium, molybdenum, zinc

-4. Place the digits 1 to 8 in the eight squares cells so that no two consecutive numbers are in adjacent cells. ("Adjacent" cells are cells connected by lines.)
Code:
          ___   ___ 
         |   |_|   |               
        /|___| |___|\             
       /   | \/  |   \             
   ___/   _|_/\ _|_   \___      
  |   |__|   |_|   |__|   | 
  |___|  |___| |___|  |___|           
      \    |  \/ |    /               
       \  _|_ /\_|_  / 
        \|   |_|   |/         
         |___| |___|   
Brute force not necessary, it can be solved logically.
Find the cells which have only one non-adjacent cell. These must be the "end" numbers, because if any other numbers were in those cells it would be impossible to place that number's two neighbours.

-5. You're given a 7 minute and a 4 minute hourglass. Measure a 9 minute interval using the minimum number of "moves", and taking only 9 minutes in total. Remember that an hourglass can be turned over before it has fully run out...

-6. . "Doctor, Doctor - I can't stop singing 'The Green, Green Grass of Home'"
"That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome."
"Is it common?"
"--'- --- -------"

-7. Not quite a Tom Swifty:
"Who discovered radium?" asked M----, c--------.

-8. 3. What number completes this series and why?
27 11 6 3 5 ?

Posted By: Sondi

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/16/18 05:52 PM

6. It's not unusual grin

wave

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/16/18 06:07 PM

Indeedy, Sondi grin
Posted By: curly

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/16/18 06:15 PM

7. Marie curiously???

Hi Rog.

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/16/18 06:26 PM

Hi Remi - nice answer! smile
Posted By: Sherlock

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/16/18 06:31 PM

8. 27, 11, 6, 3, 5, 4
The number of letters in the number gives you the next number. happydance

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/16/18 06:51 PM

Nice one, Cheryl! smile

The original did start 1110, 27, 11.... but I guess that wouldn't work in the States? think

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/16/18 07:02 PM

onethousandonehundredandten = 27 wink

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/16/18 08:25 PM

Aha - I thought you guys missed the "and" out...
Posted By: manxman

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/16/18 11:08 PM

3. zinc because all the others periodic sybmol is the first two letters of the name. zinc is zn wave
Posted By: Lex

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/17/18 07:14 AM

5. I think the answer must be 5 moves, being 4 moves on the 4 minute timer with one move on the 7 minute timer started at the same time as the first move on the 4 minute timer, the 9 minute interval starting as the 7 minute timer runs out, on the basis that 4 x 4 = 16 and 16 - 7 = 9 smile

I probably need Denis to work out my chauffeur's speed, or perhaps to be my chauffeur! wink

Re: Rog's Rag-bag - 06/17/18 07:39 PM

Good answer, manxman, it fits beautifully and demands a cigar. I have a different one - can anyone come up with a second "out man out"? wave

Ah - my apologies Lex - should have added "and taking only 9 minutes in total" oops
Posted By: michele rose

Re: Rog's Rag-bag (#5 edited) - 06/18/18 02:12 AM

3. Zinc is the exception - all others have chemical symbols that are state abbreviations smile

Re: Rog's Rag-bag (#5 edited) - 06/18/18 06:22 PM

Join manxman in the hall of fame, michele! bravo

Re: Rog's Rag-bag (#5 edited) - 06/18/18 07:05 PM

2. Dr. Gregory House wink

Re: Rog's Rag-bag (#5 edited) - 06/18/18 07:43 PM

Indeed it was, Cheryl! bravo
Posted By: Cue

Re: Rog's Rag-bag (#5 edited) - 06/19/18 09:09 PM

Flip both timers. At the end of 4 minutes the 7-minute time has 3 and the 4 minute goes back to 4. (4 minutes)
Flip both timers. At the end of 3 minutes the 7-minute timer goes back to 7 and the 4-minute timer is 1. (3 minutes)
Flip both timers. At the end of 1 minute the 7-minute timer is 6 (1 minute)
Flip the 7-minute timer for the final minute (1 minute)
Posted By: CCbomber

Re: Rog's Rag-bag (with hints) - 06/20/18 01:28 AM

Code:
    3  5

7  1  8  2

4  6

sherlock

Re: Rog's Rag-bag (with hints) - 06/20/18 06:20 PM

Nice solve, CCb! grin (and any reflections and rotations)

Cue, you're on the right lines, but I think your logic is a smidgeon off...
At time = 4, 4-minute timer is empty and 7-minute timer still has 3 minutes to run. If you flip both timers, they will both have 4-minutes loaded and the 7-minute timer will run out at time = 8 minutes, not 7 (along with the 4-minute timer) think

The first step of starting both timers at the same time is spot-on, it just starts to go pear-shaped at step 2
Posted By: Cue

Re: Rog's Rag-bag (with hints) - 06/20/18 08:57 PM

Ok.

Step 2: Flip the 4 minute timer and allow the 7 minute timer to run out the remaining 3 minutes. When it runs out, flip both timers
Step 3: When the 4 minute timer runs out (1 minute), flip the 7 minute timer again to run out the last minute. woozy

Re: Rog's Rag-bag (with hints) - 06/20/18 11:26 PM

Worth two cigars, Cue! lol
© 2024 GameBoomers Community