GB HOMEPAGE

SINKING ISLAND REVIEW

Posted By: Volkana

SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 01/10/08 08:29 AM

I 've just finished this game and i must tell you that it was quite interesting. It's a third person point and click adventure game and you are Inspector Jack Norm. You have called to this island to find the truth about the death of a millionaire who owns a hotel tower on the island. The game has two palyers modes; the first is the usual mode of this type of games, you can ask all the questions you want for as many times as you like and you can play as long as you want. The second mode is against the clock. The suspects get annoyed and the tower is sinking... so you must find the killer before that or you will go to the bottom of the ocean along with all the others. The most challenging thing in this game is the use of a tool called PPA (Personal Police Assistant) in which you can combine the clues you found about the case and find the answers you seek so you can proceed the investigation. Your clues can be either declarations, materials, prints or pictures you have taken. You can "travel" through many different locations and dispite the fact that there are all in the same island there are fascinating. The graphics are very good and i didn't meet any glitches. The most annoying thing in this game is that your questions to the suspects are exactly the same for every single suspect and you can't skip with any way the dialogs. So you are forced to hear the question about a dozen times, and there are a lot of questions in this game since it's a murder investigation. The other most disturbing thing, although is very usual with Sokal's games, is that you have to walk very large distances and most times twice. Despite all these
i enjoyed this game, it has very good story, beautiful places and thrilling plot. If you are fun in this type of games PLAY IT...
Posted By: Becky

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 01/10/08 12:26 PM

Hi VOLKANA and welcome to GameBoomers! welcome

A very interesting review of a game we're all anticipating very much!
Posted By: Liz

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 01/10/08 05:55 PM

Yes, thank you so much.....i've been keeping my eye on this game!!

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 01/11/08 07:47 AM

Nice to meet all of you... i'm glad you enjoyed the Sinking Island review... If you play the game please share your thoughts with me.

Until next time... wave
Posted By: Mad

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 01/15/08 07:11 AM

Hi VOLKANA smile

Thanks for the review thumbsup

I'm not sure about this game yet so am reading all reviews of it as they become available grin

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 01/15/08 10:16 AM

Does anyone you know if the English version is out yet? The Adventure Game Shop website states Italian only. wave
Posted By: Becky

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 01/15/08 12:58 PM

Hi Upsydaisy -- the game has not released in the U.K. or North America yet. The latest word we have is a Q1 2008 release.
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 01/15/08 02:21 PM

Thanks Becky, looking forward to this one. catrub
Posted By: nickie

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 01/26/08 12:01 AM

Thanks Volkana! It looks most interesting.
Posted By: jedi valius

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/21/08 02:50 PM

Thanks Volkana! It sounds like a good game! So you have the choice to play either against the clock or with a normal timeless gameplay? Does the ending change between the two options?

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/21/08 06:35 PM

I did not played against the clock jedi valius at all but of what i hear it does not. The game has only one ending...

Cheers wave

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/21/08 07:52 PM

I could not dream of playing against the clock...is there anyone who enjoys that? I am under the impression timelessness is one of the great feature of adventure games..you can wander and ponder as long as you like smile
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/22/08 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: jedi valius
I could not dream of playing against the clock...is there anyone who enjoys that? I am under the impression timelessness is one of the great feature of adventure games..you can wander and ponder as long as you like smile

There are some who enjoy the challenge. Isn't it great we are all so diverse. :bunny:

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/22/08 08:56 AM

[quote=looney4
There are some who enjoy the challenge. Isn't it great we are all so diverse. :bunny: [/quote]

Yes for sure! I guess part of me would want to enjoy that but I just can't take the pressure! haha I am sure it is very rewarding though once you manage.I think it was very smart of the developers to give us the choice between the two. Does anyone know here if a game called Last Express or Last Train is also on the clock?

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/22/08 09:12 AM

The Last Express not only is clocked but it's a real time adventure. If you don't do some things in time you have to start over because you lose. I didn't manage to finish this game. I was stuck at the very beggining
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/22/08 10:37 AM

I like to do things in my own time so no I don t like to be timed .You miss to much I like to nose about lol I really liked this game .Upsadaisy I hope you are having no probs with your sinking island .I am getting on with Lost all though I die a lot lol

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/22/08 01:39 PM

Dragonnuk; you die a lot in Lost? Let me know if you need any help smile
Posted By: user43

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/24/08 07:09 PM

Sinking Island is a great game smile I really enjoyed every minute of it. I don't like to race against time so i played it in normal mode smile

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/24/08 07:23 PM

user43 and anyone who played this game: How is sinking island compared to Syberia? Any similarities? Also anyone knows exactly when this game will be released in the UK or US?

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/24/08 08:06 PM

Compared to Syberia it has the same quality great scenery but as gameplay and characters is quite different. And the game is somehow depressing smile
You are actually stuck solving a murder case on an unstable tower built on a sinking island and in the middle of a hurricane with somehow not so good chances of getting off this island soon smile
The story and characters are somehow dark and have a lot of secrets smile
Don't expect the same game smile

"IMHO" comments: the way story unfolds, i think, is in similar but better way than in "murder in the orient express" and clues/inventory system is similar to CSI:hard evidence (haven't played other csi games)

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/24/08 09:38 PM

HI user, thanks for your description. I did not expect Sinking Island to have the same thematic as Syberia, however being a game by Sokal one tends to have certain expectations about the quality of the story, the graphics, etc , so I hope it will meet my expectations. Did it meet yours?

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/24/08 10:20 PM

Well it surprised me smile
I did not have any expectations as I did not finish Paradise - somehow got bored of it (don't remember why) and then found Amerzone but left it somewhere about 1/4 of the game finished for "not being in the mood for old games" (it sits next to Phantasmagoria - shame on me)
So Sinking Island was different than Syberia (Not so involving smile ) but a pleasant surprise - nice and twisted story, "alive" characters and a great setting smile
( and the tower/hotel is one of my favorite places to be (fiction and reality) smile )

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/25/08 09:09 AM

I got bored with Paradise too. Jedi you should play Sinking Island if you like the murder mystery games and if you like Sokal's games. I'm not sure when is it going to be released in UK and US but i thing it's going to be very soon

Cheers

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/25/08 09:11 AM

Hi Volkana, I absolutely loved Syberia and adore Murder mystery games so I guess I will love Sinking Island smile I do hope it is released very soon!

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/30/08 11:32 PM

probably offtopic: interesting that "europe" release is in english, but it is not released in UK or US the same time

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 03/31/08 05:28 AM

I don't think there is an official release date. It's rather odd because it's been almost 4 months i first saw this game here...
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 04/15/08 09:22 PM

I enjoyed the game and apart from grafics the storys are two differant things .I like a good old murder and investigation so I enjoyed it .Syberia is a differant tale all togeather .I enjoyed the game but still prefer games like Still Life ,Agatha Christy etc.Every one to there own poision ....I guess lol Both are point and click ,inventory puzzal solving

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 04/16/08 01:49 PM

Sinking Island was definitely a murder mystery adventure game. Not just you have to investigate but practically you put all the pieces together to complete the investigation. In other similar games you only ask questions and a cut scene shows up... smile
Posted By: mission

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 07/04/08 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Volkana

1. The most annoying thing in this game is that your questions to the suspects are exactly the same for every single suspect and you can't skip with any way the dialogs. So you are forced to hear the question about a dozen times, and there are a lot of questions in this game since it's a murder investigation.

2. The other most disturbing thing, although is very usual with Sokal's games, is that you have to walk very large distances and most times twice.

Thank you Volkana thanks for writing this informative review.

Sinking Island is scheduled to be released in NA this fall.

The above 2 points are useful observations thumbsup of the game.

By the way, would you happen to know if Dead Mountaineer's Hotel has similar characteristics??

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 07/04/08 11:45 PM

Sorry mission... I haven't played that one... wave
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/22/08 03:33 AM

I am just giving my opinion perhaps things will change in sinking island and one of the characters at least will get a personality I care about before the game ends.

For me they are all emotionless and wooden characters that I cannot relate too. Even the dead billionaire had a personality that makes me think the person that bumped him off deserves not to get caught! smirk

The flailing of arm movements of Jack the main character makes me want to tie his arms down each time he speaks. Other characters also copy the same motions many times. hardwall

I read the reviews by others about Sinking island and didn't want to rain on anyones parade. So I debated on staying silent but because I wish someone would have told me I just threw in my two cents worth.

Sorry but I don't believe this is anywhere close
to Syberia's graphics or character animations and again the characters in Syberia 1 and 2 I really cared about. The beautiful animation and fluid movement of the characters body and lip sinc was done beautiful.

As for the lip sinc in Sinking Island there is none. I am glad I chose to read the text on sinking island because the people barely open their mouth, more like a puppet. I read the words instead of watching their mouths because it ruins it further for me.

If I had known what I know now I don't think I would have bought Sinking island the characters are emotionless thus far except for a mute girl its hard to care about any of the characters. For me this is the main reason to play an adventure game to get into the heads of others lives like a good book.

I wish someone would have told me what I am now telling others about my honest opinion on the game I would not have bought it.

However,now to say something positive, The graphics are beautifully done of the interior of the tower hotel. Because it is so Huge of a building with no staff, only suspects found in it, the place is empty like a tomb and it is wasted beauty. The game could have been fun to have animation inside the hotel. A beautiful fountain for instance.

I also looked so foward to this game but even though others dis agree and enjoyed the game, I am not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

The high tech police PDA that keeps track of suspects, clues etc. is a nice touch. I am trying to say nice things to balance the negative I am feeling.

Another thing there is a torrential rainfall and he is always running in it or characters standing out in the rain, and yet no one ever looks like they are wet. Wind is blowing the tree's fiercly and the characters hair don't even blow.

In short I am struggling with this game but determined to finish it even though I wouldn't mind throwing the main character off the cliff myself, to get some emotion out of the guy.

The only time you hear any emotion is when the scene cuts and he talks to his wife lovingly on the phone and she is never shown. I downloaded the game because I felt like I couldn't wait, now I am paying a price for not waiting. What I love about Boomers is the varied opinions on the games, some people don't care about the things I mentioned, others will care.

I don't think I have ever given a negative review on Boomers yet this is the first time I dread going back into a game just to say I finished it.

The only reason I am speaking up is in hopes others who do game programing will read what gamers like me like to see and expect in a game and where its short comings are. I listed what I liked and what I hated in the game. Just so you can see the other opinion of the game.

In closing even though it seems I am the only one thus far that has voiced this opinion, Sinking Island sunk down to a low level in regards to what I call a fun game. Just my opinion though.

Sherryah

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/22/08 06:12 PM

Sherryah, All opinions are welcome. Sorry you aren't enjoying the game.

I have gotten to it yet wave
Posted By: Darlene

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/23/08 06:17 AM

wave Hey, all!

I echo L4L. Personally, I thoroughly appreciate all those who are willing to voice their opinions of a game. Everyone has a different preference, it's a beautiful part of what makes the world go 'round. An opinion isn't right or wrong...it's simply an opinion. And being able to read many different opinions is part of what helps me decide about whether or not to purchase a particular game. I thank you, 'Boomies, for your diverse opinions. smile

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/23/08 07:38 AM

Thanks all now I don't feel like I have done something wrong in speaking out my opinion. blush

Having written the negative feelings I am experiencing with the game, hardwall would it be wrong to hope that you buy the game anyway? think just so I won't feel so alone? wave
You know Looney misery likes Company lol

Besides I did list some positive comments on Sinking Island, and maybe the negatives I listed you don't care about in that case you will like the game. thumbsup

Besides I have a selfish reason, slapforehead

I am stuck in the game and looks like I will be forced to do a new restart of the game, which I want to avoid like the plague. rolleyes

Sherryah

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/23/08 02:59 PM

Sherryah, I really like to read reviews when people say specifically what they likes and didn't like. Like you said, what bothered you may not bother me at all, and the features that I like, you may loath.

Have you asked for a hint over in the hints forum? They are wonder workers over there luck

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/24/08 02:43 PM

Yes L4L Chief tried to help me but suggested a restart may be in order. So looks like I will have to bite the bullet and do the restart game. Good part at least I am familar with the layout of this massive hotel. My hope is the game may get better after 1st day.

Sherryah

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/24/08 06:28 PM

Of course all opinions are welcome and of course the thinks i and somebody else like may be very annoying to somebody else. Apart of the dialogue part (can not skip the dialogues) i liked this game.
Can i help you Sherryah with your problem during your play? I can't find your post in the Hints forum....

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/26/08 03:02 PM

How sweet of you volkana, wave
Thank you for your offer. thanks

do you have vista by any chance? think

I really need a save game to end day 1. crazy
I have spoken to everyone. Here is where I am stuck thus far.

So glad you have won this because I am stuck. I read the walkthru to see what I left out perhaps you or someone else can help me. help

I Click on Hubert de Nolent's declarations. But only have 9 declarations not 10. what could I have not done? think

I got fingerprints, footprints, broken pearls, chaotic tracks, etc.

Walkthru says the below. I re read the walkthru and just don't know what dialogue I am missing. What evidence is missing to get declaration 10?

Click and drag his 10th declaration "Nolent saw Baïna push Walter Jones off of the cliff" to the left.

Lorenzo declaration 6 says he saw Baina assaulted by Water Jones and she pushed him off the cliff.

Under progression I click on what was the cause of Jones death

I click on declarations of Lorenzo but I cannot put anything on the left side except for where the D image is, I put the file of lorenzo that links him to the building of the tower. Is that what goes there in the D slot?

When I try and put anything else in the empty boxes, I am unable to put any declaration of Lorenzo in any box. What am I doing wrong please? What is to be in Lorenzo box under WHAT CAUSED JONES DEATH? trying to put declaration no. 6 there. This is where I am stuck. thanks in advance.

I finished the puzzle who was at belvidere tourtise and voice of PDA told me I was correct. This is the yellow piece of puzzle.

I am now working on the black one what was the cause of Jones death? But as I try and drag the no. 6 declaration of Lorenzo into the D box, it doesn't allow me to put in a declaration. The only thing I can put in it is a file but that is wrong. What goes in the D box and the other boxes?

What am I doing wrong? All the boxes have no letters by them under the D box and no letters such as P or M etc. just empty boxes. Please tell me what should be going here. I am trying to get attorney Huberts no. 10 declaration as the walkthru says. Please tell me what should be in this box. thanks or really need a Vista save game for this to end day 1.

Sherryah

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/26/08 04:36 PM

I'll PM to you Sherryah. Let us do this via PM cause this is not the right place to start this conversation. Check your PM please wave

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/26/08 04:53 PM

Thanks Volkana wave

Sherryah, don't forget you can use the hints forum and get all kinds of help wave

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/26/08 05:59 PM

Please forgive me L4l I got excited when Volkana offered me help. Didn't mean to write all that, and now she is trying to help me through PM. wave
Posted By: AmberSumiko

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/26/08 07:48 PM

I am downloading Sinking Island as I type this! I'm VERY excited to play it, and it seems like I've been waiting for years for it to come out. I'm not expecting it to be as good as Syberia, but hope that it stands above Paradise. Actually, I think no matter what the reviews said, I would purchase any Benoit Sokal game.. he is fantastic!

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/26/08 08:18 PM

Amber, do come let us know what you think puppy
Posted By: AmberSumiko

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/27/08 03:13 AM

I've just finished the 2nd puzzle piece.. that's about 2 hours into the game or so, and I think it's quite good! The environment is quite dark, and the artwork is gorgeous of course. I expect no less from Benoit Sokal! Lovers of architecture, and art deco will love the design of the hotel.

It does play a bit like an Agatha Christie mystery, but more interactive I would say. You have to constantly talk to people to gather information, take pictures of evidence, pick up inventory here and there, even take fingerprints/footprints. Instead of chapters, there are "puzzle pieces" you have to complete; a question that solves a part of the murder, then you advance.

I'm only about 1/10th finished and I'm enjoying it so far. A downside is that you can't double-click to quickly change screens/environments. So you have to make your character run, and wait a few seconds.. it's not that bad, only when you're running from one side of the island to the other!

Posted By: JennyP

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 08/27/08 09:45 AM

This is on the way - I am SO glad there is an untimed mode so I can relax & enjoy the game.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 09/11/08 02:03 AM

Thanks, Volkana

What a nice review by you...This is another game I have not loaded yet...BUT...So Happy for a positive review by a Game boomer Can't wait to play devilchili
Posted By: cris53

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 09/16/08 11:49 PM

I just finished it and I have to say I agree with some of the complaints made by you Sherryah, Characters keep jiggleing(?) about but their lips don't move. I always yearned to visit the Maldives but if the weather is that bad I'll stick to Scunthorpe (English joke) But for all that it is very detailed and beautiful. I did find that because I did things in a different order than the walk through, the declarations were numbered differently. I did finish it though which is more than I can say about Dracula 3, which I was enjoying more untill I got STUCK!

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 09/22/08 02:18 AM

I haven't changed my opinion of the game. Even with Volkana generous help and MaG's walkthrough I just find it hard to stay interested in the game. For me to enjoy an adventure game I have to care about the people and that especially means the main character I am playing. This guy in my opinion has no personality except when he talks to his wife on the telephone then he appears to be a loving husband missing his wife.

If I could tie his arms down it may help, he moves like a bird ready to take off. lol I don't know why the programmers made the animation of the main character weird its one of the things about the game that gets on my nerves. slapforehead

Sherryah
finished and enjoyed recently Murder in the abbey, Jack Keane, Art of murder. Next game to play will be Nikopol.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: SINKING ISLAND REVIEW - 11/22/08 02:17 AM

I just finished the game-- to start off positive the graphics were great- voices were ok too.
The major problem I had with this game is that is was to me just a click and listen click and listen click and listen. I grew tired of listening to him ask everyone the same things-- there were a few puzzles thrown in - but the major part of the game was click and listen. I was very disappointed. sleep
© 2024 GameBoomers Community